New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    hi, i was gonna start a thread re headlights but i think it's better to just ask here too. =)

im a newbie car owner, my parents got me a 2nd hand gsr, now it has HiD Lights installed with only one setting, problem is, people tend to think I'M BASTOS and they usually switch their lights to high, just to blind me, i guess?

with that said, i wanna switch back to halogen, i mean HIDs look awesome and everything but people automatically assume that the driver is Maangas and Mayabang, But i'm not!!

i just want to ask what my options are, i need really high visibility especially during heavy rains. (since i have poor eyesight and i do alot of driving at night)

i read hear that the silverstar bulbs are good, how much would it cost and where can i get them?

and is there a specific size or are they all the same? and you guys talk awfully alot about wiring and stuff and i absolutely have no idea what you are talking about, can anyone be kind enough to explain? please and thank you! =)

p.s i know i sound stupid but please bear with me, i'm still learning the in's and out's of owning a car.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thephantom View Post
    just want to give 2 cents worth. 60/55 = alternator rating = maximum output. if you upgrade your lights without upgrading everything else, the output of the higher wattaged bulb is not maximized since the alternator can only give off certain amount of power. i think it would be better to check for the real reason why you need to change your bulbs. baka naman malabo na ang reflector or foggy na ang lens or the bulb itself is already weak due to age. i know someone who mentioned that if you want to make the lights brighter by changing the bulbs, go for the lower wattage bulbs. this way, the output is maximized since your alternator or battery or wirings are still the same. i'm no expert but i can see my friend's point.
    Very good point here sir especially on checking the headlight lenses. I have seen a lot of not-so-old cars with badly damaged lenses or reflectors due to heat, weather, friction, etc. This is surely the first thing to repair or upgrade before looking at the bulbs or wirings.

I'd like to add more to the alternator/power discussion here. If the engine is running, the alternator/battery gives of around 13v or more. Headlight bulbs run on 12v. If the car's electrical system is in a good condition, the car should be able to provide more than enough juice to power the lights and other systems properly.
    Unfortunately, most cars' headlights suffer from voltage drop, due to thin wiring and the switch requiring to much power to turn on. The bulb themselves then only recieve approx. 10v, which equates less light produced by the bulbs. In some cases, the loss of efficency is up to 40% as the loss of light output due to voltage drop is exponential to the power of 3.4. Therefore, the bulbs, regardless of wattage would not be maximized. This is where upgraded wires and relays come in. Harnesses are designed to prevent voltage drop and ensure that your bulbs are getting all the juice they need to give their rated output.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xxsachikoxx View Post
    hi, i was gonna start a thread re headlights but i think it's better to just ask here too. =)

im a newbie car owner, my parents got me a 2nd hand gsr, now it has HiD Lights installed with only one setting, problem is, people tend to think I'M BASTOS and they usually switch their lights to high, just to blind me, i guess?

with that said, i wanna switch back to halogen, i mean HIDs look awesome and everything but people automatically assume that the driver is Maangas and Mayabang, But i'm not!!

i just want to ask what my options are, i need really high visibility especially during heavy rains. (since i have poor eyesight and i do alot of driving at night)

i read hear that the silverstar bulbs are good, how much would it cost and where can i get them?

and is there a specific size or are they all the same? and you guys talk awfully alot about wiring and stuff and i absolutely have no idea what you are talking about, can anyone be kind enough to explain? please and thank you! =)

p.s i know i sound stupid but please bear with me, i'm still learning the in's and out's of owning a car.
    Hello sir,
    Thank you for being considerate to other drivers with regards to your lights. The reason why people flash you is that your lights may not be aimed properly and/or produces so much glare. This is because your headlight housings and refectors are not designed for HID. To answer your question, Osram Silverstars have good reviews. For the pricing, they should be lower than the Nightbreakers, so expect to pay less than 1k for a pair.

Before looking at bulbs, I'd recommend that you first remove any tint on your windshield. then check your headlight lenses if they're still clear or not. Consult your manual to check the right bulb type as these differ from car to car. Once you have determined the right type, You can then start looking at bulbs. Stick with known brands like Philips, Osram, Bosch, and Narva. All-weather bulbs are very good for heavy rain as they produce yellowish light but not too yellow to provide more contrast to your vision.
    I'd personally recommend Osram All-Seasons, they come in stock wattage too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Upgrading headlights (higher wattage)