New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2004
    How do I do that? I already know how to adjust the tensions of a/c (thru a pulley) and power steering belts (thru using the 1/2" square slot to get a leverage). The alternator belt left me scratching my head. Any enlightenment? It's for a '99 EK.

gratis.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I am not pretty sure with honda engines, but most alternatior would have an adjustment guide (if not the idler pulley like the A/C)...it some sort of a metal guide na duon naka tornillo ang alternator.

You will have to loosen that single bolt and hand push the alternator to get the belt tightened.

HTH.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    korek! yung alternator may pivot bolt yan tapos may isang bolt that goes into a slotted bar. you adjust the tension on the alternator belt by adjusting the position of the bolt (by pushing down on the alternator).

4. Join Date
    May 2004
    meaning no leverage whatsoever except my weight and gravity?

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    At times you move it away from the engine. It will depend on how the slider bracket of the alternator is oriented. Normally there is 2 bolts as stated by Yebo. You lossen both. One bolt is fixed and just for pivoting, while the other is in some sort of slider.

On my cars, to tighten it I have to move the alternator away from the engine. So I use an old mop handle, or some long pipe or stick. The longest you can find that can fit inside the hood. This way its very easy since good leverage, then while levering the alternator tighten the slider bolt. Remove the lever then tighten both bolts.

6. Join Date
    May 2004
    okay ... ganun lang pala. I thought honda came up with an ingeneious provision for that one ... like the half- inch square hole in the power steering pump assembly where you could use a wrench for leverage. Whencan you say that it's tight enough? I got the specs but its kinda difficult without the guage.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    I got into the same situation about a week ago. On a stretched part of the fan, if its solid as a rock... then its too tight. Based from hulahula guage, it there must be some tension on the belt. Parang sa guitar siguro. The belt can play a bit, maybe about 2-5mm. You will feel naman that there is tension. Then when the engine is running try to accelerate and decelarate the engine. The fan belt should not vibrate strongly. If in cold mornings you start your car, the fan belt squeels a bit... then its not tight enough.

I hope that I am right, some of the experts here maybe can verify or correct my post.

Tightening Alternator Belt