New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    the starter interacts with the flywheel. i do not think the clutch has anything to do with the starter.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    the starter interacts with the flywheel. i do not think the clutch has anything to do with the starter.
    How about the ignition switch? Well, if it has none and the battery is in good condition too. It's just either between the starter and the flywheel.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    is it possible for you to record and post the sound recording? there are different stater signature sounds and there are abnormal starter sounds. some tuned ears can identify the symptom you are experiencing

4. Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    is it possible for you to record and post the sound recording? there are different stater signature sounds and there are abnormal starter sounds. some tuned ears can identify the symptom you are experiencing
    Yes sir, my pleasure!
    This is the link of my youtube video; This is my original denso starter. We had it replaced with a surplus original denso starter for hilux a week ago and I will upload tomorrow how the new starter sounds.

Toyota Hilux 1KD-FTV grinding noise when cranking - YouTube

And let's try to compare them tomorrow, sir. I greatly appreciate your help!

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Offroad_Goals View Post
    Yes sir, my pleasure!
    This is the link of my youtube video; This is my original denso starter. We had it replaced with a surplus original denso starter for hilux a week ago and I will upload tomorrow how the new starter sounds.

Toyota Hilux 1KD-FTV grinding noise when cranking - YouTube

And let's try to compare them tomorrow, sir. I greatly appreciate your help!
    Sounds like the overrunning clutch(one way clutch) of the starter drive gear. It has low spots in the engagement race surface

6. Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    Sounds like the overrunning clutch(one way clutch) of the starter drive gear. It has low spots in the engagement race surface
    Is it this one, sir? Can you see the encircled part in the photo, sir?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20161003_095248.jpg  

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Yes. Check the rollers for out of round and check the springs that push the rollers to engage

8. Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Where usually or who i need to see to check starters? Is it an auto electrician or any mechanic? Thanks

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gian Paulo View Post
    Where usually or who i need to see to check starters? Is it an auto electrician or any mechanic? Thanks
    either, po.
    starter technology is "de cajon". except for a few points, they are much all the same.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123