New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    ^Yes po. The return circuit should be the same if you want to achieve the same current.

2. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    ^Yes po. The return circuit should be the same if you want to achieve the same current.
    thanks bro
    nagbaka sakali makatipid hehehe

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    Afaik.. innova with d4d engines are already direct injection.. electronic fuel pump only primes the system but the high pressure pump is driven by the engine.. also glow plugs turn on only for a few seconds..

What makes diesel engines hard to start is due to their high compression ratio.. and heavy internals compared to a gas engine
    What i meant was older direct injection diesel engines with no swirl chambers and less combustion chamber-area do not require glow-plugs to start. An example are Isuzu 4JA1 and Mitsi 4Dseries engines. I could even start them just by hand-cranking mostly in marine-engine application, no batteries required. Also the common-rail injection of newer engines require electricl current to open and close those injectors. The mechanical-type is non-electric just a constant pressure on the injection pump driven by the crank.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Now my question is, can you push-start a cold CRDi engine without battery or with open circuit battery?

I haven't tried this yet, but some years ago i was able to push-start a cold diesel non-CRDi engine only relying on the alternator to activate the injection pump.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Now my question is, can you push-start a cold CRDi engine without battery or with open circuit battery?

I haven't tried this yet, but some years ago i was able to push-start a cold diesel non-CRDi engine only relying on the alternator to activate the injection pump.
    Never do that.

Any modern vehicle (gas or Diesel) has a bunch of computer modules that relies on a relatively clean DC B+. The battery acts like a big capacitor to keep the system voltage very near to 12V DC with minimal ripple voltage. Without it, the ripple voltage could be intolerable enough to harm the modules.

The same reason you shouldn't disconnect the battery on a modern vehicle while the engine is running.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    we shall see.
    the cables should be roll-up-able, kasi.
    also, too heavy and they tend to scratch the car's finish.
    selamat po.
    I know I've said it before, I had enough​ of this so called "heavy duty" but this one looks promising:

Tolsen Booster Cable Car Jumper Starter w/ Case (3M - 22A) 6561 Car Battery Tester | Online Shopping Lazada

As I understand it, cross section of the wire is 16 square mm.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    I know I've said it before, I had enough​ of this so called "heavy duty" but this one looks promising:

Tolsen Booster Cable Car Jumper Starter w/ Case (3M - 22?A) 656?1 Car Battery Tester | Online Shopping Lazada

As I understand it, cross section of the wire is 16 square mm.
    a 16 square mm cross-section area translates to 2.25 mm diameter that translates to roughly gauge 11. it's actually between gauge 10 and 12.
    pretty thick, compared to the barely 1 mm diameter (?) (roughly, gauge 18) of some of those i bought from the mall.
    this 16 sq. mm size can carry slightly over 20 amp x 12 V = 200 watts. (continuous operation, i hope. my googled source didn't say PMPO.)

i hope my rounded computations are ok. i have no formal electrical education.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 12th, 2020 at 07:58 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008

You can still push start a crdi engine but you need a battery to power up the ecu, injectors and the heater.. without battery you cannot do push start.. also the battery is needed to excite the alternator.. if you notice, alternator shops still hook the alternator to a battery before testing.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Never do that.

Any modern vehicle (gas or Diesel) has a bunch of computer modules that relies on a relatively clean DC B+. The battery acts like a big capacitor to keep the system voltage very near to 12V DC with minimal ripple voltage. Without it, the ripple voltage could be intolerable enough to harm the modules.

The same reason you shouldn't disconnect the battery on a modern vehicle while the engine is running.
    I'm just curious maybe some members could share their experience.

Let's assume battery went out with unseen open terminal due to sulfation?

Wait, i think i already did but in a hot engine its a Toyota 1NZ and Triton 4D56 CR. Former died right away aftr disconnecting negative terminal, i guess the alternator wasn't able to sustain the fuel pump and injectors at idle rpm.
    Last edited by 12vdc; May 12th, 2020 at 09:10 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I'm just curious maybe some members could share their experience.

Let's assume battery went out with unseen open terminal due to sulfation?

Wait, i think i already did but in a hot engine its a Toyota 1NZ and Triton 4D56 CR. Former died right away aftr disconnecting negative terminal, i guess the alternator wasn't able to sustain the fuel pump and injectors at idle rpm.
    same observation. I saw a fortuner 2kd engine. neighbors guest with a dead battery. since the guys did not have a jumper cable they temporarily placed a spare battery to start the engine. disconnected the battery then engine promptly dies. They had to step on the accelerator to keep the engine running until the old battery could be reinstalled.

learned something new today that its not advisable to to that with modern cars.