New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    lead-acid batteries die because of sulfation which is IRREVERSIBLE

sulfation is from normal use and is accelerated by keeping the battery at a low state of charge (SOC)

so it's best to maintain lead-acids by "floating" them at about 13.8v. there's no convenient way to do this with your car battery unless you want to hook up a charger everyday

btw you lose more water when on float charge

so don't buy overpriced gadget like ctek hoping for a miracle
    This is true. Back when I was maintaining batteries, those are used for emergency communication backups, the system has a dedicated charger. There are two settings, "float" and "charge".

Once a month, I switch it to "charge". It will automatically revert to "float" status after 12 hours.

This is also the time to measure the relative density of the battery fluid, before and after the "charge" status.

Those batteries can last at least 5 years before replacing it.

For batteries used for starting the generators, it can last for 3 years before replacement.

Speaking of reversibility, nothing is permanent on this world. Even a diamond that is suppose to last forever is not exempted from entropy.

Going back, I use the charger every night. It became a habit of mine.

Overpriced? Perhaps you are right. Just like my cheap wristwatch that I have since 1998, it still tells me what time is it. So I think, any other cheaper charger will do the same as the one I have.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    The way I understood him, yes. He said he had used it to his previous vehicles with similar results.

I am attaching these pictures for your reference.

One more thing, please don't follow that part saying "connect and forget". When it was new to me, I have forgotten that I connected it.

Perhaps I should say, manage your time well so that you don't have to be in a hurry and mess things just like what happened to me.
    Smart Car Battery Charger
    I saw a youtube video about a collection of rare and vintage cars and almost all of the cars are hooked up on a CTEK battery charger. The vlogger asked why are they hooked on battery chargers? The curator said that some models have expensive battery model and keeping them charged prolongs the battery life

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Athrunzala View Post
    so hindi po totoo yung sinasabing desulfation process ng mga smart battery charger like CTEK?
    As stated in the CTEK manual, the desulfation process involves a controlled charging voltage around 15volts! It is recommended to unhook the batteey from the car during this process

4. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    This is true. Back when I was maintaining batteries, those are used for emergency communication backups, the system has a dedicated charger. There are two settings, "float" and "charge".

Once a month, I switch it to "charge". It will automatically revert to "float" status after 12 hours.

This is also the time to measure the relative density of the battery fluid, before and after the "charge" status.

Those batteries can last at least 5 years before replacing it.

For batteries used for starting the generators, it can last for 3 years before replacement.

Speaking of reversibility, nothing is permanent on this world. Even a diamond that is suppose to last forever is not exempted from entropy.

Going back, I use the charger every night. It became a habit of mine.

Overpriced? Perhaps you are right. Just like my cheap wristwatch that I have since 1998, it still tells me what time is it. So I think, any other cheaper charger will do the same as the one I have.

yep float charge keeps sulfation at bay.

as for diamonds lasting "forever" check out the company who marketed them. if you look at a diamond's physical attributes it's easy to tell that they're easily damaged. brittle. burns easily. it's all marketing...

going back to chargers here are some that i use. that icharger could even be connected to a computer via USB for graphing discharge curves and such. full disclosure i'm a battery geek

the blue one costs less than P1000 and is far more capable and sophisticated than ctek

5. Join Date
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    yep float charge keeps sulfation at bay.

as for diamonds lasting "forever" check out the company who marketed them. if you look at a diamond's physical attributes it's easy to tell that they're easily damaged. brittle. burns easily. it's all marketing...

going back to chargers here are some that i use. that icharger could even be connected to a computer via USB for graphing discharge curves and such. full disclosure i'm a battery geek

the blue one costs less than P1000 and is far more capable and sophisticated than ctek

saan nyo po binili yung blue charger nyo Boss Vodka? Meron ba sa Lazada nyan?

6. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Athrunzala View Post
    saan nyo po binili yung blue charger nyo Boss Vodka? Meron ba sa Lazada nyan?
    meron sa shopee

https://shopee.ph/iMAX-B6-Lipo-Li-io...YaAp36EALw_wcB

https://shopee.ph/%F0%9F%90%ACiMax-B...EaAmqUEALw_wcB

baka regaluhan ko bayaw ko nito ^_^

mukhang OK nga sya ..

1. Microprocessor controlled Delta-peak sensitivity.
    2. Individual cell balancing Li-ion, LiPo and LiFe capable Ni-Cd and NiMH capable
    3. Large range of charge currents Store function, allows safe storage current; 4. Time limit function;
    5. Input voltage monitoring. (Protects car batteries at the field); 6. Data storage (Store up to 5 packs in memory)
    7. Battery break in and cycling. 8. Support new generation A123 system (LiFe) battery
    Operating voltage range: DC11.0-18.0 Volt / AC to DC adaptor(DC11.0-18.0V/5A)
    Circuit power: Max. charge power 50W / Max. discharge power 5W
    Charge Current Range: .1~5.0A
    Discharge current range: 0.1-1.0A
    Current drain for balancing Li-po: 300mAH/cell
    LiIon/LiPo/LiFe cells : 1-6
    NiCd/NiMH cells : 1-15
    Pb battery voltage: 2~20v
    Net Weight: 277g
    Unit Package Gross Weight: 580g
    Dimensions: 133x87x33mm
    Package include:
    1 x imax B6 LiPo battery balance charger
    1 x Multi- functional extension wire
    1 x Universal crocodile clip
    1 x JST plug
    1 x Receiver plug
    1 x English Manual
    AC adapter or power supply is not included
    Note:Light shooting and different displays may cause the color of the item in the picture a little different from the real thing. The measurement allowed error is +/- 1-3 cm.
    batt geek = Vodka nga!

Everything you need to know about LiPo Battery chargers - Guides - DroneTrest
    Last edited by ninjababez; May 15th, 2019 at 04:52 AM.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    I saw a youtube video about a collection of rare and vintage cars and almost all of the cars are hooked up on a CTEK battery charger. The vlogger asked why are they hooked on battery chargers? The curator said that some models have expensive battery model and keeping them charged prolongs the battery life
    Rare and vintage cars using CTEK battery charger? I would like to think that I made the right choice about this charger! Then again, it might be just marketing, similar to a diamond being a "necessity" in marriage, because it's a symbol of "forever".
    Smart Car Battery Charger

If I remember it right, the chief engineer I mentioned earlier got that recommendation from one of his Swiss superintendent. Almost all of them in that company, including his German boss, is using CTEK.

I think CTEK is a well known brand in other parts of the world.

I hope you still have the link for that video, I'm interested to see it. Thank you.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    As stated in the CTEK manual, the desulfation process involves a controlled charging voltage around 15volts! It is recommended to unhook the batteey from the car during this process

as i said before sulfation is IRREVERSIBLE so what you wanna do it PREVENT it. what causes it? low state of charge. a 12v battery is composed of 6 cells in series. if one cell goes bad the whole battery is junk. so you have to keep all six cells BALANCED. how do you do that when you don't have electrical access to individual cells? EQUALIZATION CHARGE

equalization slightly overcharges at 15v hoping that the good cells will simply boil off the overcharge, while the weak cells get to full charge. this is NOT desulfation see the icharger doing 15v here

how do you check for imbalance? use a hydrometer

if you don't equalize, the weak cells get sulfated

9. Join Date
    May 2017
    Boss Vodka, tanong lang what if 18 months warranty ang battery, and at the same 18th month I plan to use a smart battery charger for the first time on it, could it still melt the sulfation formed inside and extend the the life of the car battery? Or parang no use na rin kasi late na and irreversible na ang mga bad deteriorated components inside the battery?

10. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    I just bought and tested the Sparco Intelligent Car And Motorcycle Smart Battery Charger SPT 500 at the Blade Auto Center. My old buddies recommended a low ampere charger just to be on the safe side. It took only 15 minutes for my 1 year and 1 month old factory stock 1 SMF to be fully charged. Now the voltmeter (cigarette lighter type) reads 12.4v from 11.9v before cranking.

Sparco Intelligent Car & Motorcycle Smart Battery Charger SPT5 – blade.ph