New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Hi Guys,

Newbie here, just acquired a 1997, noticed that the 2 electric cooling fans are always on, its turns on when I switch the keys to "on" position even if the engine have not started yet. Also the temp gauge barely passes the lower mark and never goes up.
    Can anybody help me diagnose whats wrong? I was hoping to DIY this, also when I disconnect the relays for the fans, each one turns off, so Im suspecting the sensors/switches for the fans but dont know where to look.

Thanks in advance for any help

btw, can you guys also refer to a good electrician, preferable banawe/QC area in case I cannot DIY this.

Cheers,

John

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jto235 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Newbie here, just acquired a 1997, noticed that the 2 electric cooling fans are always on, its turns on when I switch the keys to "on" position even if the engine have not started yet. Also the temp gauge barely passes the lower mark and never goes up.
    Can anybody help me diagnose whats wrong? I was hoping to DIY this, also when I disconnect the relays for the fans, each one turns off, so Im suspecting the sensors/switches for the fans but dont know where to look.

Thanks in advance for any help

btw, can you guys also refer to a good electrician, preferable banawe/QC area in case I cannot DIY this.

Cheers,

John

john,
    there are three components that are suspects here aside from the wiring. one is the fan thermo switch (located adjacent to or at the thermostat housing) with a two terminal connector A4 wire color code white/black(ground) and light green connected to another suspect two, the a/c pressure switch with the same wire circuit, simply, the fan thermo switch in connected in series with the pressure switch, the other leg of the a/c pressure switch is light green with black tracer and is connected to the terminal 2 of fan relay 1 and terminal 2 of fan relay 2. the third suspect is a blown ecu ignition fuse (7.5 amps). with fan relay 1 and two removed, check for continuity to ground from both terminals of relay socket 1 terminal 2 and relay socket 2 terminal 2.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    posible na nirekta sa acc yung fan dahil nasira thermo switch at nagsuffer sa overheat kaya nirekta nalang. pangit sa fc yan kasi hindi aabot sa normal temperature therefore mataas ang idling pag hindi mainit. pangit rin sa fan kasi iikli buhay niyan since hindi naman talaga designed yan na always on

pero i dont know kung talagang always on ang fan niyan.. supposed to be hindi na hehe

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    john,
    there are three components that are suspects here aside from the wiring. one is the fan thermo switch (located adjacent to or at the thermostat housing) with a two terminal connector A4 wire color code white/black(ground) and light green connected to another suspect two, the a/c pressure switch with the same wire circuit, simply, the fan thermo switch in connected in series with the pressure switch, the other leg of the a/c pressure switch is light green with black tracer and is connected to the terminal 2 of fan relay 1 and terminal 2 of fan relay 2. the third suspect is a blown ecu ignition fuse (7.5 amps). with fan relay 1 and two removed, check for continuity to ground from both terminals of relay socket 1 terminal 2 and relay socket 2 terminal 2.

try connecting the light green wire with black tracer (at the a/c pressure switch) to ground, the fans should stop.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    try connecting the light green wire with black tracer (at the a/c pressure switch) to ground, the fans should stop.
    Jick,

Thanks for the input, anyway,tried what you suggested and here are the results.

1. checked continuity of fan thermoswitch (near the thermostat housing) - no continuity at cold engine

2. relay socket 1 terminal 2 and relay socket 2 terminal 2 are have continuity to ground when relays are removed

3. checked ecu ignition fuse7.5 amp is ok

4. checked a/c pressure switch, contacts are closed when engine is cold and not running.

5. connected the light green wire with black tracer (at the a/c pressure switch) to ground, the fans did not stop, but there were two green wires with black tracer, one connected to the ground and the other to relay 1+2 terminals 1. ??? connected both to the ground one at a time and fans did not stop

my conclusion is that the fan thermoswitch is busted and a/c pressure switch is ok and the wiring is modified by the previous owner to let the fan run even with a busted thermoswitch.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Jick,

1. checked continuity of fan thermoswitch (near the thermostat housing) - no continuity at cold engine

2. relay socket 1 terminal 2 and relay socket 2 terminal 2 are have continuity to ground when relays are removed

4. checked a/c pressure switch, contacts are closed when engine is cold and not running.

5. connected the light green wire with black tracer (at the a/c pressure switch) to ground, the fans did not stop, but there were two green wires with black tracer, one connected to the ground and the other to relay 1+2 terminals 1. ??? connected both to the ground one at a time and fans did not stop

my conclusion is that the fan thermoswitch is busted and a/c pressure switch is ok and the wiring is modified by the previous owner to let the fan run even with a busted thermoswitch.
    malaking chance ganyan ang ginawa.. marami na ako nakikita kotse sa talyer na pagbili daw nila ganyan na.. its either me toggle switch or pag nasa acc ang susi eh mag oon ang fan. mas murang solusyon kasi pag ibebenta na ang auto.. hindi kasi mahahalata agad pag tinest drive aakalain mo lang na cold saprkplugs ginamit kaya matagal uminit hehe

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Jick,

sorry to hear your fan control had been mcgyvered. try to undo the modification in the wiring. they will be obvious since the color code of the wires tapped to the circuit will be different (primary wires off the shelf) and that they will be tapped in their most convenient location to make the tappings.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    sorry to hear your fan control had been mcgyvered. try to undo the modification in the wiring. they will be obvious since the color code of the wires tapped to the circuit will be different (primary wires off the shelf) and that they will be tapped in their most convenient location to make the tappings.
    yes, I'll try to sort this out and see what happens, thanks for the advice.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Malamang nirekta yan dahil sa overheating problem. Always observe the temp gauge

10. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    ganyan din ang honda esi ko nabili tawag jan modified wiring..it has to do with your, radiator and cooling and aircon... baka may improvised actuator din yan?... actually ok lang yan as long as hindi nag ooverheat just always check your radiator water/coolant... ingatan lang huwag matuyuan...or else jan na lalabas mga problema nyan dahil modified wiirng ka.. mahal magpabalik sa stock wiring nyan ask Honda SPA 13K daw hehehe

sabi nga nila if if aints broke dont repair it...

Rav 4 cooling fans always on