New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    i hope y'all could help me, because i'm pretty stumped.

ek 99 LXi, immersed in floodwater, floated in the garage, left for 2 days.

by the time i got to it after 5 days of the car just sitting around untouched (na-pako paa ako sa baha, had to get tetanus shot and rest), finally decided to DIY the thing last sat.

followed some of the instructions here and downloaded others. did the usual ejection of water from the pistons, drained the oil, drained the atf, drained the fuel and replaced everything. had the batt charged, too. replaced spark plugs.

when the big moment came to start the engine, the car sputtered first few seconds, but idled fine for 10 mins. tried starting again but no joy. CEL warning, though, i thought it was just a wet sensor).

checked power to the spark plugs by pulling out one of the hi-ten wires and cranking. no power. there's this weird clicking noise behind the instrument panel.

checked the distributor cap thingy (wet inside). dried it and tried again. no ignition. still no power to the plugs.

finally opened the ECU and clean dried it with denatured alcohol (electrician's advise. the ecu module was wet inside). now looks clean and fine to me, but still no power to the high tension wires.

ignitor inside the distributor cap (or whtever it's called) is now dry, so is the ecu. now my problem is, why no power to the ignitor/high tension wires? i'm fairly sure the hi-tension wires aren't broken.

so i'm left with either a busted ecu or something's wrong inside the components within the distributor.

short of replacing the ecu, what else should i check?

is the voltage to the distributor controlled by the ecu? if so, does no voltage point to a bad ecu or a simple short in the wiring?

thanks for any help. medyo mahirap maghanap ng ecu ngayon and i'm hoping it's not the problem. sana it's something simpler, like a grounded relay or grounded ignition coil or something.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    check mo yung coil using a test light kung may power yung blk/yel wire .

if power is present move the test light to other terminal .you should get a pulsating signal that means yung ecm mo okey . coil problem yan .

kung walang signal ,possible ecm na.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    looks like one of the last things you checked are the important ones ah... nahuli
    mo pong i-dry yung ecu sir... after clearing the engine bay, nakalimutan mo yung
    ecu... baka dahil basa pa yung ecu when you started the engine nagka short sa
    loob... ipa-check mo na sa kinauukulan yan... sana maayos pa at sana nga sa dizzy
    lang ang may sira... God bless..

4. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicity View Post
    looks like one of the last things you checked are the important ones ah... nahuli
    mo pong i-dry yung ecu sir... after clearing the engine bay, nakalimutan mo yung
    ecu... baka dahil basa pa yung ecu when you started the engine nagka short sa
    loob... ipa-check mo na sa kinauukulan yan... sana maayos pa at sana nga sa dizzy
    lang ang may sira... God bless..
    yeah... akala ko kasi sealed mga yun. nung kinalas ko may moisture sa loob, badtrip. plus, tamad ako magbaklas ng mga sidings to access it, hehe.

no power to spark plugs after water immersion 99 LXi