New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    here's the symptoms..
    when the key is in the 'ON' position, DAPAT umilaw yung CEL at mag prime
    ang Fuel Pump di ba? ganun ang nangyayari dati. ngayon hindi na.
    ayon sa mga nababasa ko sa net at sa mga forums regarding my civic, madalas na problema ngayon is yung main relay. eh di tinanggal ko at
    nag visual inspect. mahirap nang kalikutin at baka masira ko pa. i ended up
    buying a surplus one in evangelista. nung kinabit ko, ayaw pa rin mag start.
    i tested the fuel pump kung gagana kapag ni-rekta ko. it whirred naman, so
    i guess hindi siya ang problema.
    i also checked kung may kuryente sa mga terminals ng main relay, according
    sa HondaTech.com forums at sa manual ko... walang kuyente sa terminal #7
    ng main relay. both my old one and the one na i got sa evang.
    could it be possible na sira din yung nakuha ko?
    magkano ba ang bagong main relay?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    to properly diagnose it

check for codes

check ignition spark

check fuel pressure

check timing

and have a wiring diagram available

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    this is exactly the same problem with my former esi ... indeed i suspected the main relay so i opened it and cleaned the contacts ... no fix

fortunately, the car would eventually behave normally if i wait for several minutes with key at ON position ... sometimes it would start after several tries of ON/OFF cycle

i then suspected an ECU problem because it is the one responsible to energize the relay for the fuel pump ... there are two relays in that main relay, one is energized as soon as key is in ON position, supplying power for the injectors and a solenoid valve, the other is the relay for the fuel pump, which should be energized by the ECU after just a fraction of a second when the key is switched ON ... i believe that, apparently, the short delay is part of ECU's startup program

i was planning to inspect the ECU ... as i intend to replace the few electrolytic capacitors in there ... but never managed to do it because selling time caught up with me ... the car was sold with the problem not fixed

i noticed that if the car was not used for more than a day, the problem appears ... otherwise, if the car is used daily, it behaves normally

my experience in electronics has taught me that dried up electrolytic capacitors can cause long startup delays in a microprocessor reset circuit ... try it ... have a good tech replace them on your ECU ... considering the age of the car, those capacitors could very well have dried up ... the capacitors are very cheap and readily available in any electronic parts store

good luck!

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    may nakontak akong kakilala ng isang taga HCP na electrical mekaniko.
    puntahan daw niya bukas ang oto para tignan. sana maayos na rin niya. matagal
    tagal na rin hindi ko nagagamit kasi ayaw nga mag start. miss ko na ang kotse ko.
    hehehe...
    i removed all the seats na kanina para maluwag pag nagtrabaho na sa loob ng kotse.
    and i found kung saan yung tulo ng tubig sa likod kanina nung umuulan. hahaha...
    nag stay ako sa loob at hinanap ko. ayun, sa butas pala ng antenna. dun pumapasok ang tubig.
    yung sa harap ang hindi ko nakita...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    yup! the mechanic did replace some caps dun sa loob ng ECU...
    ayun, ampf!! umandar din sa wakas ang oto...

observe ko muna this week, kasi baka bumalik na naman eh.. mahirap na.

if you have problems you may PM me for his contact. ayos siya gumawa. di ka gagaguhin,
    at hindi naghuhula. alam na niya agad ang puno't dulo ng problema kaya di gaanong nagtagal.
    ang nagpatagal lang eh yung ulan na biglaan kahapon.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it takes around 10 years for those capacitors to dry up again ... rest assured you problem is fixed for the next 10 years

incidentally, i also had that water leak on the trunk and never had the chance to investigate ... the leak stopped on its own, maybe it was eventually plugged by dirt ...