New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    i have a '95 xe corolla and the problem is when i turn off the engine, the engine is still running until it dies. where does the problem lie? what should i do? also my speedometer ain't working too, what should i do?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ueb339 View Post
    i have a '95 xe corolla and the problem is when i turn off the engine, the engine is still running until it dies. where does the problem lie? what should i do? also my speedometer ain't working too, what should i do?
    the term for the symptom is called "dieseling". this problem only exist in carbureted gasoline engines. the causes could be wrong spark plug heat range, overheating, hot spots in the combustion chambers that simulates spark plug firing or carbon build up in the combustion chambers

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Your first problem sounds like a phenomenon commonly called as "dieseling". Try look it up on google.

For your other problem, have you checked the speedometer cable?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    there's no cable. it's electrical. dunno about it but i asked a mechanic and he says the problem is with the instrument panel

5. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    the term for the symptom is called "dieseling". this problem only exist in carbureted gasoline engines. the causes could be wrong spark plug heat range, overheating, hot spots in the combustion chambers that simulates spark plug firing or carbon build up in the combustion chambers
    Very good suggestions!

But first, check the ignition timing.....it is probably too advanced, for the fuel type, and engine condition.

A higher octane fuel might help, if that is what your engine requires (check the manual).

You might wish to "retard" the ignition timing to protect the engine from damage until you can locate and solve the "real" problem.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

idling