New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 66 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667686970 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    motolite sells a low end maintenance-free brand. "Champion". you can get two champions for the price of one gold. warranty is 12 months.
    1. you can have the battery charged now. if you connect it next week and the car starts, then your battery is good. if it does not start, then your battery is in need of replacement. (this test determines your battery's ability to hold the charge.)

2. if you are able to start the car as in #1 above, your probable headache-causing culprit is either a defective alternator or poor electrical connections, either of which can result in a weak battery. or, you have a parasite.

3. testing for parasite is easy. all you need is an ammeter: with the engine off, key out, and all other appliances off (but not disconnected) disconnect the main cable to the battery, and connect the ammeter probes in between the battery and the cable, observing polarity. note the ammeter reading. it should be "very small" (less than 0.1 amp). of course, most car owners do not have an ammeter nor know how to use it. thus, bring the car to the fixit shop na lang. heh heh.

4. #3 above is the easy part. the hard part is finding out where the leak is.. THIS is what separates the boys from the men.

seriously, bring the car to the battery shop. a well-equipped shop can test the battery's condition and the alternator's condition. most will not charge diagnosis fees, because it is easy to do. they make their profit on battery you will most likely buy from them.
    now, testing for parasites... that takes a little more intelligence.
    btw, if your car is MT, try push-starting it to get it going. most efi cars with weak (not dead and buried!) battery will start easily this way. you need just two slaves to push.. and even dying batteries will start a newly-died engine if immediately re-started..
    good luck.
    Hi Sir. I followed your advise to have the battery charged then see if it holds up for a week to find out if the battery is the problem. But motolite does not want to charge it anymore. Hay! I am not sold on their explanation that the battery cannot be charged na
    Last edited by _Cathy_; July 20th, 2013 at 06:48 PM.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    Hi Sir. I followed your advise to have the battery charged then see if it holds up for a week to find out if the battery is the problem. But motolite does not want to charge it anymore. Hay! I am not sold on their explanation that the battery cannot be charged na
    with a voltage drop like that, i'll believe them that i need a new battery.
    even dying batteries can hold a charge sufficient large to enable you to re-start the engine if you do it "soon enough". but they can't hold onto that charge for a "long time" (as in, overnight).
    syangapala.. what did they say about the alternator? if the alternator's ok, then it most probably is the battery.
    Last edited by dr. d; July 20th, 2013 at 07:01 PM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Yun ang sinabi. Patay daw ang isang plate. Eh bakit ning jinumper cable ko umandar. Pinatay ko tapos umandar ulit. Nakakataka nga kasi wala naman problema yung battery na yun sa Altis. Then one week after ko ikabit sa corolla biglang nasira?
    coz you use the altis everyday

sa corolla you leave it there

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    with a voltage drop like that, i'll believe them that i need a new battery.
    Sorry, I was not able to have the battery charged at all because when I brought it to Motolite, they refused to charge it kasi when they put the clamps it was on the green zone (12.5) then when they twisted the knob on the tester it dropped to 7 daw.

Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    coz you use the altis everyday

sa corolla you leave it there
    But the corolla gets started everyday pero it gets weaker as days pass then after a week, dead na. Pero when I used the jumper cable umandar naman. I turned it off after removing the cable then it started again.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    hija, ganito na lang:
    jumper it and start it.
    then use the car so the engine can charge the battery.
    when you get home, disconnect the battery.
    re-connect after 2 , 3, or 5 days. if the car doesn't start, it's time to get a new battery.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    hija, ganito na lang:
    jumper it and start it.
    then use the car so the engine can charge the battery.
    when you get home, disconnect the battery.
    re-connect after 2 , 3, or 5 days. if the car doesn't start, it's time to get a new battery.
    Thank you I like this method!

How long should i use the battery? Is 2 kms sufficient? I am afraid to drive it far kasi. It might not start bigla.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    its pretty hard to judge since nauubos kagad yung battery. I think namatay plate yung nadiskarga. pwede nagkataon lang na pabigay na yung sa altis battery or talo sa charging. best is to torture test the battery.

let the corolla run for 30mins, go around your village or something without electrical load. let the car rest for 3 to 5 days. Start, kung mahina redondo, battery na. pero kung malakas redondo, talo sa charging. you mentioned na umilaw yung batt sign dati, baka nagloloko na ic ng alternator.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    isa pa option, bring it to uls. tapos problema.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Thank you I like this method!

How long should i use the battery? Is 2 kms sufficient? I am afraid to drive it far kasi. It might not start bigla.
    glad you like it!
    2 km is fine. just don't you use the aircon or the lights, so the alternator output goes only to the battery. and if the engine dies, start it right away. it'll start.
    we don't have to fully charge the battery. we are just testing the battery's ability to hold charge.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by [archie] View Post
    its pretty hard to judge since nauubos kagad yung battery. I think namatay plate yung nadiskarga. pwede nagkataon lang na pabigay na yung sa altis battery or talo sa charging. best is to torture test the battery.

let the corolla run for 30mins, go around your village or something without electrical load. let the car rest for 3 to 5 days. Start, kung mahina redondo, battery na. pero kung malakas redondo, talo sa charging. you mentioned na umilaw yung batt sign dati, baka nagloloko na ic ng alternator.
    Hindi naman pala umilaw yung battery sign Mommy ko kasi naduduling na ata. Yung sa door pala yung nakita niya. haaayyyyy.

Ano ibig sabihin talo sa charging?