New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Mga bossing, my car is a 94 corolla. I just want to know if the gauge needles in my instrument cluster lights up because of the bulbs in the cluster or the needles are "bulbs" themselves?

I already replaced the cluster bulbs with a brighter LED, but the needles are still dim, with almost no illumination.

Looking forward to your replies.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    did you clean the inside of the cluster meter? since your car is already 16 years old the inside of the gauges have turned a bit dark due to dust and the burned residue of the green bulb "condom"

also what kind of LED did you use??? LED's have different focus ranges better to use something like this

for the 360 degree light output

3. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, i cleaned the gauges and installed the exact LED you posted. I saw a better variant of the LED in Concorde with more rows of LEDs, don't have a picture though, but I'm planning to purchase those.

As far as the needle light is concerned, do I just have to clean the cluster well or have the needles replaced, or maybe have them painted???

If cleaning is the solution, can you suggest what cleaning agent I can use? Alcohol maybe??

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    you can just wipe it with a damp cloth also if you can remove the needle from the gauge it would be better so you can clean the underside of the needle where light goes thru.

do not use alcohol it may remove the orange color of the needle.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Thanks again sir impulzz! I'll just post an update and a picture of the gauge when I'm done cleaning, most likely this weekend.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    i finally had the chance to clean my cluster. unfortunately, the needles are still dim, but the numbers got brighter. there might be something blocking the light going to the needle, but i don't want to clean the middle thoroughly because i might hit something that will break the gauge.

i guess that's it for me, at least i have a brighter cluster now.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    ipalinis mo. they usually blow it clean with air pressure...

Gauge needles don't illuminate