New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    May 2009
    to sum it up:

distilled water has a lower boiling point than mineral water (tap) at normal atmospheric pressure i.e. 100C at 101,325 Pascals for tap water....say 98C for distilled at the same pressure (not sure but its lower than 100C). if you go to higher elevations, the boiling point is lower due to lower pressures. example: the boiling point of water in Baguio City is, say, 97C, while in manila it is at 100C.

Distilled water does not contains salts, minerals, etc....Tap water is the opposite....

Ethylene glycol (pure) has a boiling point of 197.2C and freezing of -25C.

Ethylene glycol has negligible effect (pitting) on aluminum...

I therefore conclude:

Use distilled water (to prevent corrosion and scale formation) plus ethlene glycol (to increase boiling point of the mixture)....Plus a radiator cap is used to further increase the boiling point of the mixture....

Wait a minute, usapang battery tayo ah...

you may use distilled water on mcGuyver situations but the solution sold by battery shops is preferred....adding distilled water will lower the specific gravity of the electrolyte previously contained in the battery. a slower cranking may occur or the worst thing to happen is it may not start your engine.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    to sum it up:

distilled water has a lower boiling point than mineral water (tap) at normal atmospheric pressure i.e. 100C at 101,325 Pascals for tap water....say 98C for distilled at the same pressure (not sure but its lower than 100C). if you go to higher elevations, the boiling point is lower due to lower pressures. example: the boiling point of water in Baguio City is, say, 97C, while in manila it is at 100C.

Distilled water does not contains salts, minerals, etc....Tap water is the opposite....

Ethylene glycol (pure) has a boiling point of 197.2C and freezing of -25C.

Ethylene glycol has negligible effect (pitting) on aluminum...

I therefore conclude:

Use distilled water (to prevent corrosion and scale formation) plus ethlene glycol (to increase boiling point of the mixture)....Plus a radiator cap is used to further increase the boiling point of the mixture....

Wait a minute, usapang battery tayo ah...

you may use distilled water on mcGuyver situations but the solution sold by battery shops is preferred....adding distilled water will lower the specific gravity of the electrolyte previously contained in the battery. a slower cranking may occur or the worst thing to happen is it may not start your engine.
    If I may add just to clear things up. On initial fill of ordinary batteries (Non-Sealed type), Battery Solutions are used - these are ACID Solutions. In topping off the battery fluid, distilled or demineralized water (for batteries) sold in gas stations are used. Drinking type distilled water (Wilkins or Absolute) may be used only if you cannot find any battery water for topping off. To eliminate this confusion later on - Buy Maintenance-Free Sealed Automotive Batteries..

And oh.... Tap water is not recommended for radiator coolant use, they form scale (from the mineral content) on engine cooling galleries and radiator that will diminish the heat absorption/rejection capacity of the engine coolant. Add concentrated coolant additives to recommended proportions to raise boiling point and protect your system from forming rust. If you need to top off, use premixed water-additive. Use Absolute or Wilkins or other distilled or demineralized water NOT Mineral Water like Viva. Pinakamatipid ang purified water pero they still contain trace minerals. Sorry OT sa topic pero can't help it...

3. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Sorry for the necro post

I wonder kung pwede ang water from the refilling stations para i-refill ang battery? I have a couple of Motolite Golds kasi to have be refilled.

Also bought a battery charger. Mas mura nang di hamak ang charger kesa bagong battery . Two years plus na etong Gold 3SM ko. In my experience 2-3yrs lang tinatagal ng battery sa akin. Kahit at least additional two years lang sulit na sana

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ParticleX View Post
    Sorry for the necro post

I wonder kung pwede ang water from the refilling stations para i-refill ang battery? I have a couple of Motolite Golds kasi to have be refilled.

Also bought a battery charger. Mas mura nang di hamak ang charger kesa bagong battery . Two years plus na etong Gold 3SM ko. In my experience 2-3yrs lang tinatagal ng battery sa akin. Kahit at least additional two years lang sulit na sana
    Better to use absolut or wilkins. Refilling station water is filtered, not distilled.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    ^^^ Don't think you can use distilled drinking water for batteries. The water to be used for batteries should not touch any metal.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Batteries use de-ionized/ de-mineralised water.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    we were using distilled water from the lab for decades. no ill effects..
    Last edited by dr. d; June 8th, 2014 at 11:44 AM.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Okay na, bought Wilkins. Dami kong nilagay sa current batt ko mga 1L .

Charged it for mga 3 hours, pagbalik ko sa sasakyan galit mag redondo so that does it I think.... Monthly checking na lang and top up thru batt charger. Sana tumagal pa ito (it is on its second year na)

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I use battery solution, yung ginagamit pag bagong battery. Never had a problem with my batt. The outlast in my van is approx 2 years nah at ok pa rin pati yung motolite (green color) sa car ko ganun din, using it for 2 years na w/c I bought the car 2d hand.

So, I would suggest to use battery solution...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Distilled drinking water for battery water?