New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    DRL is nice. if factory.
    but to go out of one's way to have it installed... in tropical philippines...
    why?
    just turn on the headlights if deemed necessary.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    BUT, if you're hell bent on putting a DRL and want it to behave like OEM, make it so that it can sense that you're neither in Park or Neutral and that the ignition is ON, before lighting up the DRL. Proper DRLs don't turn on with the engine. They only turn on when the vehicle is shifted into any of the drive gears.

If that's difficult, another easy way to achieve similar results, is to sense the position of the handbrake. When the ignition is on and the handbrake is down, DRL should be on. In any other combination, the DRL should be off.
    That's how it should be.

But sadly even some OEMs did not wire it that way...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    now that i regularly bike the roads of our concrete jungle, i disagree w/ the idea that DRLs aren't needed in vehicles plying the roads of tropical Ph.

i do understand that peeps here are reasoning w/ the mentality of an individual who is sitting comfortably behind a steering wheel, but if you were to think outside of the driver's seat, you guys will see how DRLs instantly enhances the visibility of a 2 or a 3 or even a 5 ton beast hurtling unpredictably through the streets full of random glare, irregular shadows, and blinding sheen - light pollution in other words.

for a bicyclist, everything out there is happening w/ a millisecond delay. i've learned the hard way that a biker's senses are amped way more than a driver's sensory receptor at any given time and it can get confusing and tiring sifting through all those visual ( and auditory) cues. a DRL is not a cure all to those cycling baggage, but it sure does help in determining what's the correct action to take in a relative snap.
    Last edited by baludoy; July 25th, 2020 at 03:24 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    honestly, nung una feeling ko walang silbi yung DRL pero nung naka-gamit ako ng car with DRL (especially sa Pinas) - useful pala.

kasi yung gauges/instrument panel naka-ilaw din. naalala ko yung FX days namin na halos di mo mabasa yung panel kapag day time, ang dilim kasi

tapos yung times naman na nasa tunnel ka sa atin na sobrang kulang sa ilaw... or biglang buhos ng ulan

kaya ngayon, naisip ko na since halos standard na ang DRL sa ibang bansa, parang ang weird naman kung may special wiring sila for "Philippine version"... baka naman fuse lang ang katapat and iilaw yung parking/tail/instrument panel ng car kapag nag-start.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    honestly, nung una feeling ko walang silbi yung DRL pero nung naka-gamit ako ng car with DRL (especially sa Pinas) - useful pala.

kasi yung gauges/instrument panel naka-ilaw din. naalala ko yung FX days namin na halos di mo mabasa yung panel kapag day time, ang dilim kasi

tapos yung times naman na nasa tunnel ka sa atin na sobrang kulang sa ilaw... or biglang buhos ng ulan

kaya ngayon, naisip ko na since halos standard na ang DRL sa ibang bansa, parang ang weird naman kung may special wiring sila for "Philippine version"... baka naman fuse lang ang katapat and iilaw yung parking/tail/instrument panel ng car kapag nag-start.
    iba naman yung DRL sa illuminated gauges.. may car models na walang DRL pero illuminated talaga yung gauges.. also kapag naka DRL mode, hindi naka ilaw yung "park light" ng car.. and some models use the DRL as the park lights.. so pag naka "park light" mode ka, mag DIM yung DRL and gauge panel, then iilaw yung tail lights.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    ^Agree

DRL "Optitron"/illuminated guages

7. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    DRL is nice. if factory.
    but to go out of one's way to have it installed... in tropical philippines...
    why?
    just turn on the headlights if deemed necessary.
    syempre maporma yung "DRL" doc.

pero tama ka. in my case, i turn on the fog lamps para hindi masyado mataas yung ilaw. and this is probabaly the only time i use the fog lamps - pag umaga at nasa makipot ng highway sa probinsya.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    there's always the option to be conscientious to tons of people like me who don't use 4 wheeled vehicles all the time. DRLs are beyond porma even in sunny countries like ours.

go ride the bike for several kilometers often on our public roads and you'll see the glaring (pun intended) difference between those rides "armed" w/ more visibility than those w/o.

if one can afford expensive upgrades, a little pair of led DRLs is just a drop in the wallet bucket. it's definitely cheaper than an avoidable accident... your fault or not.
    Last edited by baludoy; July 29th, 2020 at 01:12 PM.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    ^Kahit bike dapat may DRL front/rear ska helmet sa gabi. I wired the DRL controller to the 35W foglamps, napansin ko mas alisto mga crossing vehicles/pedestrians, I myself as a driver mas visible ang may DRL lalo na sa masikip na kanto. This simple voltage sensor could be wired on the existing primaries of the fog relay.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    ^Kahit bike dapat may DRL front/rear ska helmet sa gabi.
    yezzir.

ako iyong "headlight" ko may blinkers feature para for DRL usage.

and napansin ko meron na din mga bike helmets ngayon clips for red light blinkers. so lumalabas up and down ang "rear" lights ng mga bikers. hopefully, madami na din mag utilize ng provision na iyan kasi as it is kusa lang naman ang pag gamit nito.
    Last edited by baludoy; July 29th, 2020 at 03:39 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast