New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I imagine it's an alligator clip to female cig lighter socket, like this...

That is used to bypass the accessory cig lighter sockets because, as many of you found out, it will likely blow the fuses to kingdom come. The above cable is used so that the accessory can be attached and powered directly from the battery.

On whether you need the engine running or not depends on how powerful the accessory is and/or how long you plan to use it. Attach the alligator clips with the engine running or not DOES NOT matter. Just do it safely (ie. correct polarity, cables does not snag any moving parts or the alligator clips accidentally detaching and gets sucked in the accessory belt... these sort of common sense).

2. Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I imagine it's an alligator clip to female cig lighter socket, like this...

That is used to bypass the accessory cig lighter sockets because, as many of you found out, it will likely blow the fuses to kingdom come. The above cable is used so that the accessory can be attached and powered directly from the battery.

On whether you need the engine running or not depends on how powerful the accessory is and/or how long you plan to use it. Attach the alligator clips with the engine running or not DOES NOT matter. Just do it safely (ie. correct polarity, cables does not snag any moving parts or the alligator clips accidentally detaching and gets sucked in the accessory belt... these sort of common sense).
    This is exactly what ordered hahah. Thanks for the input

3. Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    hey!
    that happened to me, too.
    with the ignition at ACC, i plugged my elevo tire inflator into my innova's cigarette lighter socket.
    it also blew my fuse.
    i have no explanation.
    since then, i insert the plug into it, before i turn the key. but only for the inflator. for my electronic gadgets (cellphone charger, etc), i still plug and unplug with wanton abandon, with the car running.
    and in case the fuse blows again, "minarkahan ko na yung fuse, so's i may replace it easily."
    heh heh.
    My engine was already running when I plugged it in. Maybe the fuse just can't handle it hahaha, don't wanna blow the others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Cigarette lighter with battery terminal clamps usage