New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Hi guys, I am just wondering if it is possible to replace and/or customize your vehicle's electrical parts like aircon switches, cluster gauges and wiring?

For example, the case is we have a very old vehicle 1992 model and the gauges are not working anymore, the aircon switch looks terrible and about to break, no stereo, wiring is in total mess, central lock is busted, power window is also about to breakdown.

Is it possible to replace electrical parts and custom fit it into the old vehicle? my primary concern right no would be the aircon switch and the cluster gauges. The current aircon switch I have is a lever type, can I replace it with a knob type from a different vehicle?

Lastly, I noticed that this old vehicle of ours has an OBD1 port but I am thinking this port is not compatible with the OBD2 bluetooth connector I have but has anyone tried connecting an old OBD1 port to a bluetooth connector? Because if this is possible, I can simply replace the gauges with an android app if the OBD1 can be connected to bluetooth receiver.

Thanks for any replies!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Obd1 connector is different from obd2. There are sites giving info how to convert those connectors and arrange the pinnings.. Another thing to consider is the protocol used. If its proprietary, then goodluck finding a suitable reader.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    Obd1 connector is different from obd2. There are sites giving info how to convert those connectors and arrange the pinnings.. Another thing to consider is the protocol used. If its proprietary, then goodluck finding a suitable reader.
    Thanks for the reply 12vdc, yes, I am aware that there are adapter/converters such as this one:

461350495_353.jpg

But the question is, will the app recognize the computer? Has anyone tried connecting an android app to an OBD1 vehicle? I did tried several apps on an OBD2 2014 vehicle and everything works great, sensors, operations and software gauges work.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    i don't think it will work. as mentioned earlier the communication protocol (proprietary-depends on manufacturer)on obd1 is different from obd2

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    TS.

You'd be better off looking for (working) surplus switch panels, gauge clusters, etc., for the same model of your car. Plug and play, no more converters, adaptors, conversions, re-programming, etc.

That is, if you want your vehicle returned to stock and working condition.

BUT

If you want to experiment ...... then I wish you good luck.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    TS.

You'd be better off looking for (working) surplus switch panels, gauge clusters, etc., for the same model of your car. Plug and play, no more converters, adaptors, conversions, re-programming, etc.

That is, if you want your vehicle returned to stock and working condition.

BUT

If you want to experiment ...... then I wish you good luck.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    hindi ko babaguhin ang linya.kung sira na talaga.pwede ka naman mag pa re wiring ulit .madami pang mabibili sa surplus kung 90's model lang toyota pa.magandang tingnan ang sasakyan kung walang mga pihitan na naka kabit like sa iniisip mo. at lahat ng guages mo gumagana ng nasa tamang posisyon..

Can you customize your vehicle's electrical parts, switches and gauges?