New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hmmm... maybe it's the distance of the MAF from the engine? Ah... okay, I get it... on some cars, having an open cone filter right in front of the MAF can mess with MAF readings... by using a CAI, he placed it far enough from the MAF that the MAF was able to work properly.

Oops... my bad, the Honda uses a MAP, not a MAF... but the effect is probably similar. Too much air, too close to the sensor, makes the readings irregular.

It's very easy to get shorter intake plenums for Hondas, as Honda B16s can use Type-R or various aftermarket intake plenums... for the Mitsubishi 1.6, tough luck. The best you can do is thermoplastic spacers. Look on outlawengineering.com , but I doubt they'll have your engine.

You can call Nollie (0910) 785-1240 of PitCrew Performance regarding thermoplastic spacers. He doesn't make them, but he can give you the number of the guy who does. But be warned... they're expensive.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If I remember, 1cm yung kapal nun. Or something comparable.

Niky, it makes sense about the MAP sensor and his readings. MAP far from filter = too much air = increased AF ratio. MAP near filter = less air (due to filtration) = decreased AF ratio. Or something like that hehe.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    K&N and HKS are the best universal fit brands.

Yes, a filter will increase power, but alone, it will only give you about a 2-3 hp increase. Not easy to feel that on an automatic. And in traffic, heat soak will bring engine power back down to stock levels, unless you install it as a CAI (cold air intake) or with a heat shield. The heat shield will prevent some of the heat soak, but not all of it. The CAI assembly will give you cold air, all the time, and will bump power to around 5 hp higher than stock, but it is vulnerable to water ingestion in wet conditions, as it puts the filter very close to the ground.

Best bet for more power? Filter+muffler+exhaust pipe upgrade+headers. Just make sure your headers aren't too aggressive (4-1). Stick to a narrow tube 4-2-1 design to maintain torque, as these modifications, when put together, will give you around 8-10 more horsepower, but will have a negative affect on torque. And on an automatic, loss of torque will make your car very sluggish at low rpms.

To keep torque on a car I modify, I usually just go for racing filter + midpipe + muffler (to remove the resonators and catalytic converters). This makes the car kinda noisy, though.

sir niky ask ko lang yung case ko. 98 civic lxi auto ko. kinabitan ko ng fujitsubo legalis na chambered muffler. after ikabit napansin ko na lumakas yung hatak. pero medyo gusto ko pa palakasin yung tunog. may nagsabi saken na patanggal ko daw yung resonator na katapat ng handbrake. yun yung mataba. dalawa kasi yun sabi nung nagtatanggal. may isa pa na mas manipis nauuna dun sa mataba. ang tinanggal ko yung mataba pinalitan lang ng pipe. lumakas yung muffler. ganda nga ng tunog actually e. pero napansin kong nawala yung hatak na na-gain ko before tanggalin yung reso. parang bumalik sa stock yung hatak lalo na pag uphill ang takbo. im planning to re-install my resonator. or kung ipatanggal ko nalang yung isa pang resonator? ano magiging effect nun? or ipabalik ko yung matabang reso at patanggal ko yung maliit na reso? ano naman effect nun? suggestions naman mga sir kasi ang gastos ng trial and error at putol ng putol ng pipes e. salamat and more power to you guys..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
can RACING FILTERS increase power of my 97 GLXI A/T