New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    sir ang problema mo eh hindi sa alternator or sa battery... ang problema mo grounding.... mag add ka ng additional ground sa battery to the body.... at magdagdag ka din po ng pos. wire sa battery going sa alternator..... ayan po ang sakit ng karamihan ng sasakayan pag nag kaka edad na... check mo yung ground cable attached to the body baka loose na or madumi or makalawang...

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by willvill2 View Post
    For further tests, I attached my multimeter to the cigarette lighter port so I can monitor the alternator's charging. With the aircon and headlights on at idle, the alternator could not go higher than 12.5 volts, it keeps going down. But when I keep my crosswind travelling, the voltage goes to 13.5 volts and stays there. My test also showed that if the rpm stays at 1k, the alternator can handle all the power requirements adequately. So I consider the alternator's problem solved. I spent just 200 php for the cleaning of the stators contact with the carbon brush. Cleaning came exactly 10 years from the time the car was first bought.
    Seems the alternator is working but the charging is not as it used to be. My suggestion is not to use the aircon immediately after starting your car, let it idle or drive away for 2 mins before using the aircon. Then at night after a trip, turn-off the HL's and AC then let the car idle for 1-2 more minutes before shutting it down.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Seems the alternator is working but the charging is not as it used to be. My suggestion is not to use the aircon immediately after starting your car, let it idle or drive away for 2 mins before using the aircon. Then at night after a trip, turn-off the HL's and AC then let the car idle for 1-2 more minutes before shutting it down.
    Agree with you bro.....

Kaso, baligtad ito sa aking old faithful...

Ang sa akin, I need to turn on the aircon immediately after starting,- dahil around 14.5V-15V ang output ng alternator...

16.4K:bond:

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    I got my old Fluke digital meter and measured:

engine running only.....13.9 to 14 volts
    plus aircon on.............13.5
    plus headlights on........12.2
    plus signal lights .......... 12

The normal voltage when charging is 13 to 14 volts. It seems my alternator cannot cope up with the demands of the headlights and signal lights.
    normal charging for an alternator should be

without load. ( meaning NO lights, aircon, stereo, etc)
    idle - 13.4 volts
    * 2000 rpm - 14.4 volts

with load ( ON lights, aircon, stereo, etc.)
    idle - 13.4 volts
    * 2000 rpm - 14.4 volts

yes sir it could be because of the headlight... better have the battery checked might also be time to get it replaced... usually a isuzu crosswind has a higher capacity requirement, so the battery must be able to cope up with the demand... try getting at least a motolite gold, or excel 3SM-N70L,

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Sirs, a related question please. yung usually alam po natin is tatakbo yung car pag na start or jumpstart na ito at ok yung alternator (normal output as per voltmeter) even with a nearly dead battery (10 volts as per voltmeter) kasi in theory alternator na nag susupply ng electric needs ng engine. pero yung sa akin po ay namamatay after idling for a while at about 900 rpm, aircon off. nang ni rerev ko po ito neutral at around 2000 rpm pag bitaw ko ng pedal derecho din namatay. btw, gas engine po ito avanza 1.5 AT and ok na po sya after simple palit ng battery for about 5 months na but i still cant shake off the feeling na may ibang problema dahil hindi tugma sa alam ko yung nangyari. What went wrong po kaya? di na po ba true yung theory now? at ano po ba maaring pag kakaiba kung crdi or old school diesel pag uusapan? TIA sa mga sagot

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    I'm usually home at 5 pm bringing everybody from school. Right. There are times I could not start when I used the headlights the night before.

What I do, at night, is to run the engine with the air con and headlights off for 2 to 3 minutes before shutting it down. Sometimes, we go to the mall at night and if I would shut down the engine as soon as we parked, I could not restart when we went back.

Oh. I forgot to mention that I have changed my headlight bulb to a higher wattage but that was a year ago already and my present problem just came out a month or so.
    might be because you upgraded your headlights sir... you might need a higher capacity battery...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123