New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    i have this brigthness problem with my guage lightings that everytime i turn on the park lights (of course the gauge lights also turns on) i notice the clock loose it's brightness as well. i checked it out with my mechanic, sabi nya normal lang for crv gen 1 since walang itong relay, direct sa battery.

i'm thinking of changing my my battery to 2SM so i get more power thus would be brighter. original oem kc is 1SM battery so i was wondering would it cause any problem? ang worry ko kc is baka hindi kayanin ng alternator to charge a 2SM.

check your alternator. baka di lang kumakarga ng maganda or yung load mo is too mch than sa capacity ng alernator.

well, ang advantage lang ng 2sm over 1sm is the stored charged.. kung kasya ba ok lang..

mas malaking battery good for starting. but once the engine is running, power will be supplied by the alternator, not by the battery anymore. so dapat 12.1V at at full load, and as much high as 14.5V if no to minimal load.

above 14.5V sisirain nyan batter mo, lower than 12V didiscargahin baterya mo.

or baka feature talaga yan ng clock-some displays are designed to loose brighness when the park-light is on...

and lastly, ask an ELECTRICIAN, not a MECHANIC.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    thanks for the input always yummy. i cheched as per what you mentioned and it's been steady at 14, with or without load. wiith load was i turned the aircon, all lights even at bright including fog lamps. it's steady reading at 14v.

so following your explanation, that's the most power the alternator can produce and yet the gauge light are a bit deem. changing it to indiglo would help brighten up but then i'm more interested to see the odo numbers. any further idea. TIA.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    check mo na rin ang batt compartment mo kasya ba kasi sa civic96 1sm lang ang kasya

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by macsd View Post
    i have this brigthness problem with my guage lightings that everytime i turn on the park lights (of course the gauge lights also turns on) i notice the clock loose it's brightness as well. i checked it out with my mechanic, sabi nya normal lang for crv gen 1 since walang itong relay, direct sa battery.
    macsd, the dimming clock is a normal feature, not because walang relay, but it's designed to do so, so that the clock will be less glare/bright for the driver while driving at night. I used to own a gen1 CRV, so I'm confirming this is normal for that model as well.

i'm thinking of changing my my battery to 2SM so i get more power thus would be brighter. original oem kc is 1SM battery so i was wondering would it cause any problem? ang worry ko kc is baka hindi kayanin ng alternator to charge a 2SM.
    Technically you could do this, assuming the 2SM fits. The only problem is that you'll have a heavier battery in your compartment. Then again, from experience, the Gen1 CRV has a very good alternator/charging system, so a battery upgrade is usually not needed.

Now if you're problem is the gauge being a bit dark, this is usually normal to darken, as the car ages. Option is you could have the bulbs replaced, gauge cleaned, or replace with aftermarket ones.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Agree with Autobeat that the dashboard lights and clock displays will become soft when you turn on your park and head lights. This happens even on new vehicles.

Changing your battery to 2SM will not solve the problem, IMO, based on the test results that you provided. The only advantage is the additional stored charge over the 1SM variant. If you still want to pursue this option, I suggest to check your engine compartment if it can accomodate the bigger size of the 2SM battery.

7303:soda:

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002

it should be the alternator not the battery. baka mahina na yung alternator so hindi na kumakarga ng maayos yung electrical system mo.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    thanks mga bros on your inputs. i will just stick to the current and seem's like that how really it is as it aged. i will just pursue the changing of the bulbs and see if that will help to improve. if the that still don't work, my last recourse will have to wear an eye glass.:surrender:

9. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Curious question ko lang kung may nag try na.... from 2SM pinalitan ng 1SM?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jodski View Post
    Curious question ko lang kung may nag try na.... from 2SM pinalitan ng 1SM?
    ako before na try ko na.... wala namang problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
1SM to 2SM battery change, any problem?