New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    First inquiry...

I saw a post at the Toyota Cars section regarding the TVSS (Toyota Vehicle Security System) and how it is a big failure. It is said in the manual of the Yaris that the system was just a simple keyless entry and the alarm only activates when a door or the hood was forcibly opened, battery lines disconnected and reconnected, and ignition is hot wired. The system is disabled when a spare key is manually used to open the locks instead of the keyless entry.

Knowing this, I tested the TVSS in the Yaris, since I've never heard the alarm of my Yaris and just wanted to know if the system works, and indeed it alarmed when I opened the door from the inside. I locked the car using the keyless entry key with me inside and waited 30 seconds for the system to be armed. It was quite loud actually.

The the person who posted about the TVSS said that the his car, a hilux, had an impact sensor of some sort. I was wondering if the Yaris also had one? I hit the dashboard all over, as the system was armed, with a bit of care but still forceful, and the alarm did not activate. Is the TVSS of the Yaris the lowest of its class and only features what I wrote in the first part of this post and nothing more?

If yes, I think I'm not the only one who will say that this really sucks...

And sometimes I leave personal belongings in my car, too heavy to carry around the mall and now I know that even if all the windows get smashed, no alarm what so ever will activate. tsk tsk.

Unless you guys know some stuff regarding the Yaris' system. Please share. One thing I'm greatful is that my Yaris is heavily tinted. A bit hard to see the things inside.

Second inquiry...

We have a Toyota Altis as our primary car and the Yaris as the secondary car. I was wondering if there is a way to incorporate two of the features I really like about the Altis into the Yaris.

The first is that the Altis automatically locks its doors if it reaches 2nd gear (the Altis is A/T also our Yaris) or a certain speed (not really sure how it works) but it locks the doors when you start to drive along. I really like this as most of the time I forget to lock the doors. Trying to get the habit going though, and probably I just got used to with the Altis.

And the second feature is the sound it makes when you lock and unlock the doors using the keyless entry (single beep for lock and double beep for unlock). This is opposed to the Yaris' signal light to just flash once at lock and twice at unlock. It's just an added comfort and much easier with the sound if you second doubted yourself and that you left the car unlocked, walked away already but can't clearly see the signal lights when you press the lock button again from afar. I for one have left my car unlocked more than a few times.

Any inputs?

and OT, since baka bumalik ang ulan-ulan, I just figured out that the the extra compartment just below the steering wheel ng Yaris fits a foldable umbrella perfectly. hehe Yun nga lang, di pede ilagay dun pag basa pa pero pagka tuyo, swakto and lalagyan, madaling kunin, tago ng konti, di pa sagabal. share lang... hehe

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Regarding the TVSS, sorry to say but it really sucks across the Toyota range. However, I could not say if their high end model which is the Camry Q, does have a sensitive alarm system.

Most Hilux or Fort owners install 3rd party alarm systems. Like you, I always carry a laptop and dslr around. Ginagawa ko na lang is bitbitin siya sa malls or takpan siya ng damit.

Walang feature ang Yaris where it automatically locks the doors. May isang function feature ang Vios na if you don't wear your seatbelt, mag beep as in makulit na beep so no choice ka but to wear the seat belt.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    The system is disabled when a spare key is manually used to open the locks instead of the keyless entry.
    Are you sure on this one? My experience with the TVSS on a Fortuner, is that the system will not be disable even if the door locks are unlocked by the turn of of a key at the door lock (in fact opening any of the doors afterwards will cause the alarm siren to wail). You still need to press the unlock button on the key fob for the system to disable.

The the person who posted about the TVSS said that the his car, a hilux, had an impact sensor of some sort. I was wondering if the Yaris also had one? I hit the dashboard all over, as the system was armed, with a bit of care but still forceful, and the alarm did not activate. Is the TVSS of the Yaris the lowest of its class and only features what I wrote in the first part of this post and nothing more?
    Try consulting the manual or your dealer for this. The Fortuner's manual says it has impact sensor. My take? If it really does have impact sensor, then it must be the low grade type or a very insensitive one, which perfectly explains why it fails to detect even major "bangs".

The first is that the Altis automatically locks its doors if it reaches 2nd gear (the Altis is A/T also our Yaris) or a certain speed (not really sure how it works) but it locks the doors when you start to drive along. I really like this as most of the time I forget to lock the doors. Trying to get the habit going though, and probably I just got used to with the Altis.
    The Fortuner has this feature. I'm not sure if its the system found in the Yaris. Best to ask your dealer. Btw, if your system has it then it just needs to be activated.

And the second feature is the sound it makes when you lock and unlock the doors using the keyless entry (single beep for lock and double beep for unlock). This is opposed to the Yaris' signal light to just flash once at lock and twice at unlock. It's just an added comfort and much easier with the sound if you second doubted yourself and that you left the car unlocked, walked away already but can't clearly see the signal lights when you press the lock button again from afar. I for one have left my car unlocked more than a few times.
    Audible answerback function is possible and it just need to be activated. The owner's manual contains the steps to activate it or you can have your dealer do it for you. However, I don't think its possible to change the response to be the same as your Altis. Based on your description, the response system on the Yaris is the same as that on the Fortuner.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    *nurse_corrupted: exactly... although this does not happen to me all the time, I have my laptop with me and if I go to a mall, its hard to carry along while going around.

*number001: Unfortunately, it is in the Yaris manual that the alarm is disabled when you use a key to mechanically unlock the door instead of the keyless entry (baka lowest version/class ng TVSS and installed sa Yaris ). I for one have tested this already and I was only hoping that there is a way to make the system in the Yaris only deactivate when you press on the keyless remote like in your case.

The manual also does not say that the Yaris has an impact sensor as well as it also does not say that it has no impact sensor. At least from my browsing, walang mention of an impact sensor (with or without). You guys know if the Yaris has an impact sensor?

Regarding sa auto-lock-when-you-drive-away-feature, alam ko talaga wala nito sa Yaris, was also hoping na some of the Yaris owners have found a way to incorporate it to their Yaris and share their how to's with us.

With audible answerback, I can't find it in the manual and as much as possible, di ko na sana kailangan pumunta sa casa to enable it. Can anyone tell me how to do it on the Yaris? or does it really need to be a trip to the dealer?

thanks for the inputs!

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    regarding sa TVSS, i think medjo nasa low end ung naka install sa yaris. unlike sa altis and higher brands nila.

i also leave things sa loob ng yaris, like laptop ko, wallet and digicam, nakatago lahat. i knew naman that the alarm would be such when i bought the yaris kaya di ako pedeng magcomplain.

wala talaga yung alarm system ng yaris natin. walang impact sensor at walang answerback function. If you want to have both kailangan mo mag install ng 3rd party alarm. I asked na the Dealer, ganyan na talaga ung alarm natin.

ma try nga ung payong na foldable.. i also place an umbrella under the backseat ung golf umbrella. kasya din siya. so what you told us is an alternate place pag me mas maliit na payong.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Pwede po kaya i-modify ung alarm system? Kc I always forget to lock the doors when inside kasi sanay na ko na pag nag-brake kusa na lo-lock then automatic unlock pag engine off, hehe usual alarm system...Haven't got used to locking it manually kasi I don't use it often din..Pero forgivable naman I guess...Though it's better if it's a better system hehehe

7. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    all the while i thought, ako lang ang may problema sa tvss alarm ng toyota. there are lots of times (not in a day) that i forget to lock the yaris. nasanay ako dun sa jimny ko na after shutting of the engine and closing all the doors, after some time, it will automatically lock all doors.

going to the alarm, upon shutting off the engine, and closing all the doors, it will not engage in automatic alarm or lock. but after locking it, then unlocking it again, after 30 secs, it will engage in the automatic lock. hmmm. . . . weird noh. what i tried was, i locked the door using the keyless entry, then opened it with a key. nada, walang alarm.

hindi ba magkaka-problema if we install a third party alarm like viper or clifford? hindi ba magkakanda-leche leche ang wiring nun?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    all the while i thought, ako lang ang may problema sa tvss alarm ng toyota. there are lots of times (not in a day) that i forget to lock the yaris. nasanay ako dun sa jimny ko na after shutting of the engine and closing all the doors, after some time, it will automatically lock all doors.

going to the alarm, upon shutting off the engine, and closing all the doors, it will not engage in automatic alarm or lock. but after locking it, then unlocking it again, after 30 secs, it will engage in the automatic lock. hmmm. . . . weird noh. what i tried was, i locked the door using the keyless entry, then opened it with a key. nada, walang alarm.

hindi ba magkaka-problema if we install a third party alarm like viper or clifford? hindi ba magkakanda-leche leche ang wiring nun?

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    As long as the wiring is correct, it will not mess up with the TVSS. Meron ng ginawa sa isang hilux na ganyan e. Okay naman. See that thread in the Toyota Cars section.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    kung magaling gagawa and kabisado ung wiring ng toyota i dont think there should be any problems.

ako papakabit ng giordon na alarm, it has impact sensors, it will auto lock your car once its running, also me audible answerback. also gagamitin nia din ung frequency ng susi natin. so no additional device needed, ganun daw ginagamit ng mga taga Team FD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Inquiries about the Yaris' system