New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Yun ang trend sa Europe. Geely bought Volvo. BMW and Ford have also started using 3-cylinder 1.5L turbo engines.

Nothing wrong with 3 cylinders. Much like how some thought that 4 cylinders were not good back in the 80s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    the 500cc per cylinder theory, I can't find the article, pero below video is similar...

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The current 1.5L 3-cylinder turbo engine of the Coolray is more than enough for its size and price. Even better than the powerplant of vehicles within the same price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    May 2014
    Am honestly curious why from the trend of majority of manufacturers using 3 cylinder turbos, the new gen engine became a 4 cylinder. Is it because they want it to be more "balanced" while also improving the output?

Is there a big cost difference in making a 3 cylinder vs 4 cylinder engine? or is turboing a standard 1.5L 4 cylinder NA engine be more "cost efficient" for a vehicle manufacturer as they can use it on various platforms, with or without turbo?

The NA 1.5L on the expected PH Geely Emgrand , is it a 3 cylinder NA non turbo engine?

Trying to understand the rationale.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2013

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    Am honestly curious why from the trend of majority of manufacturers using 3 cylinder turbos, the new gen engine became a 4 cylinder. Is it because they want it to be more "balanced" while also improving the output?
    This trend is with Chinese brands/ Chinese-market vehicles. I read that consumers there view less cylinders (3 vs 4) as something lower. Its an image thing, nothing performance related.

Modern 3-cylinder turbocharged engines use either a balance shaft or "intentionally unbalanced” flywheel and crank pulley to offset vibrations. 3-cylinder engines have the advantage of having less parts, lighter weight, and reduced frictional loss. This also means improved efficiency.
    Last edited by AG4; February 17th, 2022 at 09:34 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    This trend is with Chinese brands/ Chinese-market vehicles. I read that consumers there view less cylinders (3 vs 4) as something lower. Its an image thing, nothing performance related.

Modern 3-cylinder turbocharged engines use either a balance shaft or "intentionally unbalanced” flywheel and crank pulley to offset vibrations. 3-cylinder engines have the advantage of having less parts, lighter weight, and reduced frictional loss. This also means improved efficiency.
    Hmmm... Suspicious...

7. Join Date
    May 2014
    Well, it appears on the recent article from AI that Geely Ph recognizes that they need to improve parts and after sales with their explosive growth on their fledgling local dealer network.

Hopefully it is not just lip service. It was bound to happen and at least their current president is aware of it is taking steps to (supposedly) address it before it gets worse.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Does anybody know the wheel lug nut size of Geely Azkarra? Diameter, pitch, length.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jalba777 View Post
    Does anybody know the wheel lug nut size of Geely Azkarra? Diameter, pitch, length.
    I would recommend that you post this question on their FB Group page. I don't think we have that many active members who drive an Azkarra

10. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    3-cyl engines a flop in China, 2022 Binyue switching to 4-cyl, what about Proton X50? | WapCar

The main reason why Geely decided to axe the 3-cylinder engine is because of poor response from Chinese buyers, as they typically avoid 3-cylinder cars.
    The simple reason is that the Chinese car market is extremely competitive, and consumers have plenty of choices. The benefits of 3-cylinder engines have been explained many times, namely lighter weight and lower fuel consumption, as well as ease of electrification.

Still, Chinese consumers see these benefits as too intangible, plus there are plenty of 4-cylinder options on the market and these cars aren't any poorer.

Geely Cars