New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    My one big issue with GMDAT models is the quality of the engine-transmission combos. They feel like dirt (sorry) even when compared to other Korean-built cars. Ride and handling... well, you can't say much about the handling, the helms are pretty average, but ride is about okay... firm, yes, but that's the way I like it.

One hopes that GM will have a better line-up of engines and trannies in whatever replaces the Optra. It's a shame we're not getting the Optra Diesel here, as that would really boost Optra sales, even if it raises the price uncomfortably close to mainstream competitors.

The Captiva impresses me with its smooth and relatively quiet drivetrain (the CRDi), but the steering is just awful and the interior isn't as impressive at the price point as the Optra's is.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Di ba nila magagawa yung cars dito to get tax breaks too?
    Di ba about a decade ago GM was choosing between RP & Thailand on where they will set-up their Asian regional headquarters and production hub? They eventually chose Thailand over us citing better political stability, peace and order situation & less labor union problems.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Yes, I think Chevy should bring it at least some of their aspirational "american" models like Camaro, Corvette, etc. Or even Saab, Opel although they better not price their spare parts too much.
    What would be the market for these cars? They would just be halo cars for the brand wouldn't be anything more. The other cars Chevy has in it's US line up has displacement of 2.2L and above with the exception of the Aveo. AFAIK even in this board a lot of people call cars 2L and above gas guzzlers in the Philippines, granted that in the US anything short of V8 are called econocars.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Ok, I give up, GM is hopeless here :P

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Ok, I give up, GM is hopeless here :P
    I wouldn't say GM is hopeless here.
    I'm impressed with the new Captiva, and thats just the 1st of the new global GM models to be introduced here.
    I'd like to see the Optra/Cobalt replacement, which will be the sister model of the upcoming next gen Opel Astra( and possibly the future Saab 9-1X hatchback.)

The Spark, Aveo and current Optra... these are just stop gap models(development of these models started before Daewoo was saved by GM.)
    Eventually these old models will be replaced with global GM models.
    Last edited by AG4; March 8th, 2008 at 01:59 AM.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Why won't Toyota bring in the Sequoias and Tundras into the local market? Why won't Honda Phils bring in the Odysses and Pilots into the local market? Why wont Ford Phils bring in Mercuries and Oldsmobile and Mondeos , F-450. Why won't Chrysler bring in the 300c. It's all because of economics and Marketing strategies. If its cheaper to manufacture a certain model for a certain market, then they will. If people will buy what is offered then they will sell. Take the VIOS or the ALTIS, you won't find these cars in the US or European Markets. The EVEREST is unheard of in the US. and yet they sell like pancakes all around Asia. The last time I saw a Honda Jazz outside the Philippines was in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
    The Odysses, Hi-Lux Surf, Isuzu Big Horns that you see running around Manila were not sold by local dealers. They were broought in as second-hand re-worked Right hand drives from Japan. I used to work on a car ship and we loaded these same model from Japan to Australia and New Zealand.
    Its all about PROFIT.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Before 1972 (i.e Martial Law), General Motors had an assembly plant in the Philippines. and so did Ford ( LTD, GALAXY, FAirlane )and Chrysler (DART). Toyota and Isuzu were the only Japanese car manufacturers in the Philippines. Anybody remember the TOYOPETs and Isuzu Bellets of yesteryears. When Martial law was declared all American and European car assemblers in the coountry either left or had their facilities been bought out by the Japs. Ford Phils was bought out by Mazda (Laser (Mazda 323 base) and Telstars Mazda 626 base)) GM Pilipinas by Isuzu (Gemini (Opel Kadet base)), Chrysler by Mitsubishi ( Galants (Dodge Colts) and Celeste (Plymouth Arrow)). We Filipinos readily accepted all these cars without question. All these Japanese car manufacturers trived and profited from us. So why not give GM a chance. Isn't KIA and HYUNDAI Korean, too?

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    I actually find the GM showroom design Brilliant and Pathetic at the same time. Ang galing ng naka isip na maglagay ng sticker na tao on the glass panels ng GM showrooms. Akala mo madaming natingin sa GM products. Stickers lang pala. So pathetic that they had to resort to sticker people just to make the showroom look like someone is interested in their cars. Sorry ha GM, mahal kasi daw talaga ng aftersales parts and services nyo. Sana mag rethink ng strategy ang GM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Before anything else here are some corrections ChevyChaser:
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyChaser View Post
    Why won't Honda Phils bring in the Odysses and Pilots into the local market?
    They sell the Pilot here, its just not selling well.

Why wont Ford Phils bring in Mercuries and Oldsmobile and Mondeos , F-450. Why won't Chrysler bring in the 300c.
    Oldsmobile by the way is part of GM and they killed the brand already.
    The Chrysler 300C is officially sold here.

Take the VIOS or the ALTIS, you won't find these cars in the US or European Markets.
    In the US and Europe the Corolla Altis is sold as the Corolla.
    The Vios is known in the US as the Yaris sedan, in Europe the Corolla is available with small displacement engines, so there's not much room for a Yaris sedan.

Just a recap...
    Why won't local Chevy bring in real Chevy cars?
    Because none of the existing USDM Chevy cars were designed to be sold in Asia.
    The 1st global Chevy car model to be sold here will be the Cobalt/Optra's 2010 replacement, codenamed GMX071.
    It will be manufactured in North America, Korea and probably Thailand.
    We will most likely get one of the Asian built versions.
    The Cobalt/Optra replacement will use the new GM Delta II platform to be shared with the upcoming all-new Opel Astra.
    This is a joint development between GMDAT, GM North America and GM Europe.

For those who don't like reading through the previous pages, the current Spark, Aveo and Optra are transitional models that were developed right before the old Daewoo Motors became part of GM (now known as GMDAT or GM Daewoo Auto & Technology).
    The Captiva and other Upcoming models will use global GM platforms.
    Last edited by AG4; July 8th, 2008 at 05:14 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the corrections AG4. Appreciate that very much... I'm still confused between Oldsmobile and Lincolns. Its just that through the times I've been to the US (Houston mostly since my ship goes there) I've never seen a Corolla on the street, but a lot of Camrys. In fact, a Filipino resident there, who drives us to town for a fee, has not even heard of the Ford Escape ( which is sold there as the Ford Escape ). Curiosly, why do people have their doubts on the viability of GM products. I mean, GM was a big brand in the Philippines long before Martial Law. We had Impalas, Malibus, Camaros, Nova and Nova IIs, even the the Chevy Vega. a famed local dragster from Bacolod, Doc Bynes, used to race in '56 Chevy Bel Air with a re-worked 350 c.i Hemi-head engine. Another was a certain Baby " Mighty Mouse" Mora, racing in a souped-up Camaro with a 327 monster under the hood. Ford Philippines tied up with Mazda and we Filipinos goobled up the Lasers and Telstars like pie. I don't believe its because of the Daewoo brand. I would rather like to think that when GM bought Daewoo, GM improved the Daewoo brand. I guess we all got used to thinking that Japanese cars are better than the rest ( and that's because we had no choice at that time and we got stuck with that mentallity).
    Didn't realize that Honda was selling the Pilots in the country ( Iguess I need to have more vacation time...1.5 months isn't enough ) and which dealer sells the 300C. I always see one in EDSA near Cats but the place looks more like a trader than a dealer. Thanks again, Mate.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Why won't local Chevy bring in real Chevy cars?