New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Hey guys!

Please educate me. It seems that most of the time the Chevy Optra (I'll add in the Aveo na rin) is mentioned around here, there always seems to be a negative remark about it. I don't know what exactly the reason why these cars from GM are somewhat "discriminated" by some people. Some people say something about it being a "rebadged Daewoo", some say about its relability, and so on. I want to know the "acurate" reasons why these people don't seem to like Chevy cars here in the Philippines.

Well personally I don't have any bad opinions about these cars, I even think they look good and are cheaper than others. These cars range only around 550k to 600k+ I think and even have good engines with them.

So please do post your opinions about this matter. Thanks! :D

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    three words: Poor Build Quality

3. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    We have 3 Chevrolet cars. An Optra 1.6 m/t, Optra 1.8 a/t and a Venture LT.
    Here is what i can say, not all people like these cars mainly for the reason that some had bad experiences with the GM in terms of service. Another reason I think are the availability of parts. Since it's not as widespread as parts of mainstream brands like Toyota Honda etc, parts are pricier and harder to find. As for the optra, u need not worry too much in buying parts for the first 2 or 3 years since it's free. But for the Venture and other GM cars, parts are expensive.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    kotiko, i sold my optra 1.6LS a/t after 1 year of usage, reason, very poor build quality, low fuel efficiency(6km/l), very very bad service center, for my 1 year of ownership, 1/3 of it stays in the service bay, there's always some wrong with the car, from engine to fuel pump to brakes and back to the engine again!!! 1 week after i got the car, they told me they have to change the alternator because it was the cause for the whinning noise, very bad quality control!! after i sold my optra for 500k with only 8k on it, i swear on never getting another car made by GM

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Um, yeah, I'd have to agree with the parts and service of GM. They are expensive and usually not worth the price youre paying!

What's with Daewoo anyway rin pala?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ill take the word of some Trusted quality people here who has has bad experience with GMs Quality and service.

Thats why am staying away from this brand.

(Rather than listening to some broadsheet motoring journalist whos been given a weekend vacation just to test drive their car :P)

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    It's true about them being a rebadged Daewoo, a quick search on Google will find the proof. But if I were in the Philippines, I wouldn't buy a GM vehicle...come to think of it, I'm in North America, I still wouldn't buy a GM vehicle. As the others have said, poor build quality, poor service and a poor track record make for an unattractive purchase.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Experience ko nung dineliver sa DBP makati yung optra namin may damage na yung rims at tire.ang latest na napansin ko kapag umaadar pa lang siya parang humihinga pa, malakas uminom ng gas,hirap magstart hindi siya one-click, hindi maganda ang transmission at kapag magshift ka every gear ang layo.
    Oks lang ang stereo at speakers niya

kami rin sa ngayon binebenta na namin optra namin for P475,000 nasa 6k pa lang ang mileage.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    in short stay the hell away from an optra!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    gearspeed, naku..ang mura naman nun..sayang naman..pero mahirap talagang i-dis-courage yung mga gusto talagang bumili..di kaya madaming lemon? so poor quality control din on their part..

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
So, What's The Deal With Chevrolet Optra and Aveo?