New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Hello,

I noticed that my optra 1.6 LS stalls or shakes on first gear and then when i shift to second gear, the RPM goes down so much that i have to step at the accelerator pedal harder just so i wont lose power or acceleration, then i shift to third and the RPM goes way up this time close to 4000 RPM. I took the car to GM shaw and was advised the throttle body needs to be replaced. I read on another thread here on "Fuel Pump replacement" and i seem to be getting close to the same symptoms that people there were talking about...I just dont want to end up replacing the throttle body only to find out that its my fuel pump that needs to be replaced which by the way neither costs cheap. TIA!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    If it can be helped, the normal practice of course is to try replacing one part first (ie. throttle body) and see if the problem disappears. Casa shouldn't charge you for the throttle body if it turns out that the fuel pump is the one faulty. They just need to put in the old one... Unless if both parts have already reached the end of their service life.
    Last edited by oj88; July 17th, 2009 at 02:32 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Thank you for replying oj88, but the thing is, i found cheaper parts that i can get outside of the casa and im planning to just have a mechanic replace the part for me..i mean it shouldnt be that hard for an outside mechanic to replace it since its the whole assembly right? do you think the auto supply shop would let me return the part (ie throttle body) if i took it out of the box, placed it on the car, and found out its the fuel pump instead? Thanks!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jovsi View Post
    Thank you for replying oj88, but the thing is, i found cheaper parts that i can get outside of the casa and im planning to just have a mechanic replace the part for me..i mean it shouldnt be that hard for an outside mechanic to replace it since its the whole assembly right? do you think the auto supply shop would let me return the part (ie throttle body) if i took it out of the box, placed it on the car, and found out its the fuel pump instead? Thanks!
    The replacement should be a breeze. However, the electronic throttle needs to be calibrated ("idle-learn procedure" in Honda-speak). If you know how to do it on the Optra and if it does not require any specialized tools like diagnostic computers plugged into the DLC port, you can do the replacement yourself. The procedure is usually indicated in the shop or repair manual (not the owner's manual) for your car.

As to whether the parts store would allow you to return it, that'll be between you and the owner. But in my experience, they'll more likely to not allow it. Personally, I'd have things like this worked on by casa people.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    The replacement should be a breeze. However, the electronic throttle needs to be calibrated ("idle-learn procedure" in Honda-speak). If you know how to do it on the Optra and if it does not require any specialized tools like diagnostic computers plugged into the DLC port, you can do the replacement yourself. The procedure is usually indicated in the shop or repair manual (not the owner's manual) for your car.

As to whether the parts store would allow you to return it, that'll be between you and the owner. But in my experience, they'll more likely to not allow it. Personally, I'd have things like this worked on by casa people.

I see..im planning to have the ECU of my optra reprogrammed anyway for lesser fuel consumption, i hope that takes care of the throttle calibration as well. But, from what you know, do you think the symptoms i indicated here points to the throttle or the fuel pump?Thanks...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jovsi View Post
    Hello,

I noticed that my optra 1.6 LS stalls or shakes on first gear and then when i shift to second gear, the RPM goes down so much that i have to step at the accelerator pedal harder just so i wont lose power or acceleration, then i shift to third and the RPM goes way up this time close to 4000 RPM. I took the car to GM shaw and was advised the throttle body needs to be replaced. I read on another thread here on "Fuel Pump replacement" and i seem to be getting close to the same symptoms that people there were talking about...I just dont want to end up replacing the throttle body only to find out that its my fuel pump that needs to be replaced which by the way neither costs cheap. TIA!
    Hello again,

my car no longer stalls and shakes and i dont lose acceleration anymore but i didnt replace the throttle body like what GM shaw and GM pasig advised me to...i just had the shift linkage assy replaced! orig part only cost me 3500! Now the shady thing is...why GM Shaw and GM Pasig was adamant that it was the throttle body!? They were like "sir, dodoble po fuel consumption nyan" and "lagi ka mamamatayan ng makina kpag di mo pinalitan" Hmmmm...now im no expert and to be honest i really dont know what a busted throttle body's symptoms are...anybody here know what a bad throttle body does to the car?TIA!

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Good to hear that your Optra is fine. If it happens again, have the throttle body cleaned 1st. Speedyfix can do it for you. His shop is in Shaw Blvd near GM Shaw.

Where d you buy your parts?

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    Good to hear that your Optra is fine. If it happens again, have the throttle body cleaned 1st. Speedyfix can do it for you. His shop is in Shaw Blvd near GM Shaw.

Where d you buy your parts?
    I got the part from GM Quezon Ave.

Anybody here know what a bad throttle body does to the car?

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    This might answer your question: http://www.mightyautoparts.com/pdf/articles/tt141.pdf

You can try Thunder Automotive or Nemar for GM parts. Their numbers and address are in the yellow pages. They sell original parts way cheaper than casa. If I'm not mistaken, they even supply parts to casa.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    last year my optra has this problem too. if you start it, it shakes then
    when you rev it up, it chokes, then when you accelerate, it loses power then, yun, patay makina.... smell like gasoline or something like that, and has a black smoke when you rev it....

i went to chevrolet pangasinan( kasi im from ilocos lang)may pinalitan lng sila na maliit na hose kasi butas daw, nakalimutan ko na pangalan nung hose i think throttle hose, maliit lang siya, yun ok na optra ko. tapos palit fuel filter.
    and sa chev.pangasinan, mababait mga tao dun pwede mo pa bantayan car mo habang ginagawa nila. di tulad dyan sa manila, di mo makikita kung ano pinag gagagawa nila.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Optra Throttle Body needs to be replaced?