New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    have your car's thermostat assembly checked within 100,000 kms or 3 years. Two of my officemates recently overheated their Optras since the upper radiator hose which is connected to a plastic elbow fitting suddenly cracked and leaked most of the coolant. This elbow fitting contains the thermostat.

Also be wary of the fuel pump of the car since it is also a cause for concern.
    mabilis bumigay ang fuel pump ng kotseng ito. The sad part is, that mukhang hindi alam ng mga taga chevy gawin ang oto. Yung sa kaibigan ko ilang balik na ang oto sa casa hindi napatino ang menor ng oto. 100,000 plus na tinakbo ng kotse niyang optra.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Heh... buti nga sa kanila 100K bumigay e. Saken 30K palang bumigay na ung oil pan (lalagyan ng langis ng makina). Fuel pump at 45K naman.

The plastic elbow you are referring to is the thermostat. Yup, it's made of plastic. Same with the oil pan.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    This happened to our Optra already. bigla overheat. problem with a fitting or hose in the engine bay. You have to go straight to casa kasi wala kami mahanap na aftermarket replacment.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    100k isn't that bad for a cooling system part, but 45k for the fuel pump? Agh!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    3rd week last month I bought for my optra04 a thermostat housing and thermostat (set na ito) sa Thunder. It cost me P1800.00. It's made of aluminum hindi na plastic. Wala na silang stock na plastic.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    I would not think that Chev cars are lemon cars.
    But I am sure that Chevrolet Quezon Ave technical expertise are questionable.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    sir, san po yung thunder? para po sa parts ng optra... i own a 2006 optra ls.. and i always have it serviced at chevrolet q.ave.. about their technical expertise... based on my experience, i wouldn't recommend them at all. san po best shop para sa optra? =)

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    i had also experience the same issue on its thermostat. my optra 04's thermostat gave-up and as you have said, coolants spill off and "tirik" ako.
    technically speaking, the designed of optra's plastic material is better. cuz if its made of steel or other steel material malamang baka yung engine mismo ang malamang na maapektuhan o masira. (bebengkong ung sa me cylinder part ng engine because of the beyond heat temp)
    i bought the parts at chevrolet pasig for 650 pesos kase me discount during that time so i bought 2-pc. and ako na ang nagkabit kc thermostat lang naman then ni-refill ko ang coolant ng 50/50 mix as per manual. ngayon okay alright na ang optra ko. (just need to engine wash kase me amoy yung coolant na nanikit na sumisingaw dahil sa init ng engine)
    my thermostat collapse nearly 58taw of mileage.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Guys so far my chevy optra 05 model di pa naman masira thermostat nya.. ano ba nasisira? ung lalagyan ng coolant(ung white na plastic container)? gmy optra is now 35K mileage na, problem ko lng ngayon ung aircon paminsan minsan nagloloko ayaw lumamig. pag on mo sa no.1 dapat iilaw ung a/c ng green dba.. un sakin hindi eh pero pag nag tagal umiilaw na at yun lumalamig na. ano kya problem nito guys.TIA

Attention Optra Owners!