New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The all-new Chevrolet Onix hatchback is a Brazilian Sonic in disguise
    Word by Jose Carlo R. Sapera | Photos courtesy of General Motors do Brasil

We've observed that the Brazilians have a very unique taste in cars. Their demand for small, stylish, and fuel efficient cars has prompted some interesting Brazil-specific models such as the Hyundai HB20 and Volkswagen Gol. And joining in the fray is Chevrolet, who recently pulled the cover off the new Onix hatchback that's specifically tailored for the colorful Samba land.

This subcompact sits on Chevy's Gamma II Global Small Vehicle (GSV) platform which it shares with the all-new Sonic. In terms of styling, it takes some cues from current roster of Chevrolets, including the brand's signature grill, but with a lot less sharp corners. Instead, they've sculpted it to be ***y and curvy just like their women.

LINK FOR MORE: http://kotse.com/home/index.php/news...et-onix-brazil
    source: Kotse.com

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I like the Sonic - a lot, I might add - but this has slightly cleaner styling.

The rear end is better resolved IMHO...although perhaps it came at the cost of rear headroom? It's a little reminiscent of the Mazda 2.

It's made just a few kilometers from my hometown.

Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    I like the Sonic - a lot, I might add - but this has slightly cleaner styling.
    Actually its styling has been quite controversial in Brazil, since it's often quoted as a rip-off from the 5th-generation Volkswagen Gol. At least its engines are less prone to problems related to fuel and lube oil quality and it has a real automatic transmission instead of the i-Motion AMT used in the Gol.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cripple_rooster View Post
    It's made just a few kilometers from my hometown.

Actually its styling has been quite controversial in Brazil, since it's often quoted as a rip-off from the 5th-generation Volkswagen Gol. At least its engines are less prone to problems related to fuel and lube oil quality and it has a real automatic transmission instead of the i-Motion AMT used in the Gol.
    Interesting. I'm generally well-read on automotive news, but I don't know much about the Brazilian car market so this is news to me.

The Gol has problems with the high-ethanol fuel I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    The Gol has problems with the high-ethanol fuel I assume?
    The problem is actually not related to the ethanol, but to lower-grade lube oils with a higher acidness and lower burning point.

The all-new Chevrolet Onix hatchback is a Brazilian Sonic in disguise