New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 294 of 442 FirstFirst ... 194244284290291292293294295296297298304344394 ... LastLast
Results 2,931 to 2,940 of 4415
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by numbah5 View Post
    Just a clarification. dexos2 IS NOT an oil brand. It is an oil specification made and formulated by GM Powertrain. GM Powertrain also made all engines under the GM brands (Chevrolet, Holden, Opel) only to received fully synthetic oils that meet the dexos2 specification in order to have a LONGER Oil Change Interval. Oil brands have formulated engine oils that meet the dexos2 specification but only Ac Delco has the dexos2 compliant oil locally and is only available in all Chevy dealers.
    Hi numbah5
    I beg to dis agree with you that Dexos is not a brand, then what is that small TM (trade mark)indicated on top of the the bold DEXOS (this is only for the sake of discussion he he he he )

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RTS View Post
    Hi numbah5
    I beg to dis agree with you that Dexos is not a brand, then what is that small TM (trade mark)indicated on top of the the bold DEXOS (this is only for the sake of discussion he he he he )
    Info below is from the website of dexos. You might want to google the website if you want.

"One global company; one engine oil standard.

GM manufactures cars and trucks in 34 countries and sells them in over 140 countries. These vehicles contain an array of more than 20 different engine sizes. To function well and to last a long time, these increasingly high-performance engines need a consistently high-quality oil, and that quality and uniformity needs to be available anywhere in the world.

Now it is.

GM Powertrain engineers have developed dexos™ - a proprietary, global engine oil specification designed specifically to meet the requirements of GM vehicles. So, whether it's a Chevrolet, Opel, Daewoo, or Holden driven in Pennsylvania, Munich, Seoul, or Sydney, dexos™ engine oils are recommended by GM for use in their vehicles.

The dexos™ specification was uniquely designed to complement the exacting requirements of GM's advanced engine technology. The specification has gone through an extensive developmental and testing process. It requires a number of proprietary tests that are not included in current industry standards and sets performance criteria at a level that exceeds many current standards. The result is a high performance fluid providing significant wear protection, improved piston cleanliness, a reduction in volatility and oil consumption, enhanced aeration control for improved fuel efficiency, and better oxidation properties. dexos™ is an exclusive trademark of General Motors. Only those oils displaying the dexos™ trademark and icon on the front label have been certified and licensed by GM as meeting the demanding performance requirements and stringent quality standards of the dexos™ specification.

GM has found that using substandard oil can affect engine performance and, in the worst case scenario, may damage or harm the engine. Only licensed dexos™ products have been certified by GM to meet the dexos™ specification. Unlicensed products have not gone through GM's rigorous testing process, are not monitored for quality, and are not approved or recommended for use in GM vehicles. Unlicensed product quality and suitability for GM vehicles cannot be guaranteed and, therefore, use of unlicensed products may result in lower levels of performance and could cause engine damage that may not be covered under warranty.

There are many authentic licensed dexos™ products readily available at retail outlets, service repair shops, quick lube operations, and GM service centers. dexos™ licensed products are easy to identify. Simply look for the dexos™ icon on the front label and the 11 digit alphanumeric dexos™ license number on the back label. Unless an oil package displays these two markings, the engine oil is not an authentic, licensed dexos™ product and is not recommended for use in GM vehicles.

For a list of licensed dexos™ products, click here to go to licensed brands.

dexos™ is recommended by GM for use in all its vehicles except those with Duramax diesel engines (these Duramax diesel engines are different from those on our Trailblazers) requiring the use of API CJ-4 engine oil. dexos™ is fully backward-compatible and can be used in older vehicles. It is specified in the owner's manual for all 2011 and later model years, with the exception of Europe where dexos™ is specified starting in model year 2010.
    dexos1™ is designed for use with gasoline engines and replaces GM-LL-A-025, GM6094M and GM4718M
    dexos2™ is designed for use with light-duty diesel engines and replaces GM-LL-B-025 and GM-LL-A-025
    The dexos™ specification and trademark are exclusive to General Motors, LLC. The Center for Quality Assurance monitors and publishes licensed dexos™ products to assist consumers in making informed decisions when purchasing engine oil to service their vehicle.

[BUsing engine oils other than authentic licensed dexos™ products could result in reduced engine performance.[/b]

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RTS View Post
    Hi numbah5
    Info below is from the website of dexos. You might want to google the website if you want.

"One global company; one engine oil standard.

GM manufactures cars and trucks in 34 countries and sells them in over 140 countries. These vehicles contain an array of more than 20 different engine sizes. To function well and to last a long time, these increasingly high-performance engines need a consistently high-quality oil, and that quality and uniformity needs to be available anywhere in the world.

Now it is.

GM Powertrain engineers have developed dexos™ - a proprietary, global engine oil specification designed specifically to meet the requirements of GM vehicles. So, whether it's a Chevrolet, Opel, Daewoo, or Holden driven in Pennsylvania, Munich, Seoul, or Sydney, dexos™ engine oils are recommended by GM for use in their vehicles.

The dexos™ specification was uniquely designed to complement the exacting requirements of GM's advanced engine technology. The specification has gone through an extensive developmental and testing process. It requires a number of proprietary tests that are not included in current industry standards and sets performance criteria at a level that exceeds many current standards. The result is a high performance fluid providing significant wear protection, improved piston cleanliness, a reduction in volatility and oil consumption, enhanced aeration control for improved fuel efficiency, and better oxidation properties. dexos™ is an exclusive trademark of General Motors. Only those oils displaying the dexos™ trademark and icon on the front label have been certified and licensed by GM as meeting the demanding performance requirements and stringent quality standards of the dexos™ specification.

GM has found that using substandard oil can affect engine performance and, in the worst case scenario, may damage or harm the engine. Only licensed dexos™ products have been certified by GM to meet the dexos™ specification. Unlicensed products have not gone through GM's rigorous testing process, are not monitored for quality, and are not approved or recommended for use in GM vehicles. Unlicensed product quality and suitability for GM vehicles cannot be guaranteed and, therefore, use of unlicensed products may result in lower levels of performance and could cause engine damage that may not be covered under warranty.

There are many authentic licensed dexos™ products readily available at retail outlets, service repair shops, quick lube operations, and GM service centers. dexos™ licensed products are easy to identify. Simply look for the dexos™ icon on the front label and the 11 digit alphanumeric dexos™ license number on the back label. Unless an oil package displays these two markings, the engine oil is not an authentic, licensed dexos™ product and is not recommended for use in GM vehicles.

For a list of licensed dexos™ products, click here to go to licensed brands.

dexos™ is recommended by GM for use in all its vehicles except those with Duramax diesel engines (these Duramax diesel engines are different from those on our Trailblazers) requiring the use of API CJ-4 engine oil. dexos™ is fully backward-compatible and can be used in older vehicles. It is specified in the owner's manual for all 2011 and later model years, with the exception of Europe where dexos™ is specified starting in model year 2010.
    dexos1™ is designed for use with gasoline engines and replaces GM-LL-A-025, GM6094M and GM4718M
    dexos2™ is designed for use with light-duty diesel engines and replaces GM-LL-B-025 and GM-LL-A-025
    The dexos™ specification and trademark are exclusive to General Motors, LLC. The Center for Quality Assurance monitors and publishes licensed dexos™ products to assist consumers in making informed decisions when purchasing engine oil to service their vehicle.

Using engine oils other than authentic licensed dexos™ products could result in reduced engine performance."

This should clarify any misinformation about dexos2.

I have been in constant communication with *dr_mej. When the Chevy Greenhills put Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100 Semi Synthetic 5W30 on his TrailB, it has the same engine performance with the break in oil up to reduced engine performance according to him. After he complained to TCCCI about the engine oil, Chevrolet Greenhills replaced the Liqui Moly oil to AC Delco fully synthetic dexos2 5W30. According to *dr_mej, his Trailblazer has better engine performance with the AC Delco dexos2 specified oil.
    Last edited by numbah5; March 5th, 2013 at 12:26 PM.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Reading thru wiki and the GM's page about dexos, it seems RTS and numbah5 are both correct. It is a brand AND a standard/specification.

Is it a standard/specifications? Yes
    The following products even say that they are compliant to the dexos standard

Wiki even mentions that it is an OEM standard that GM came up with: wiki source

In a nutshell, back in 2007, GM started working on an oil spec that exceeds the current ILSAC (gasoline) and API (diesel) specifications. They said that starting 2010, oil manufacturers will have to be accredited for use in GM's engines.

Is it a brand? Yes
    Obviously, GM would also market their own oil that's dexos1 and dexos2 compliant. Though this is not unique to the oil/lubricant industry, take for example intel. What makes it confusing, personally, is they are using dexos as a brand name called Dexos (capitalized to denote a proper noun) as well. See pic below.

I think if we refer to it with a lower case "dexos", we're refering to the standard and when we say, "Dexos" with a capital leter, we mean the GM brand.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by albert_b View Post
    Reading thru wiki and the GM's page about dexos, it seems RTS and numbah5 are both correct. It is a brand AND a standard/specification.

Is it a standard/specifications? Yes
    The following products even say that they are compliant to the dexos standard

Wiki even mentions that it is an OEM standard that GM came up with: wiki source

In a nutshell, back in 2007, GM started working on an oil spec that exceeds the current ILSAC (gasoline) and API (diesel) specifications. They said that starting 2010, oil manufacturers will have to be accredited for use in GM's engines.

Is it a brand? Yes
    Obviously, GM would also market their own oil that's dexos1 and dexos2 compliant. Though this is not unique to the oil/lubricant industry, take for example intel. What makes it confusing, personally, is they are using dexos as a brand name called Dexos (capitalized to denote a proper noun) as well. See pic below.

I think if we refer to it with a lower case "dexos", we're refering to the standard and when we say, "Dexos" with a capital leter, we mean the GM brand.
    The brand is not dexos, rather it is GM as you've mentioned. The GM branded dexos2 certified oil is manufactured by GM subsidiary AC Delco.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Easy lang *numbah5, magmumukha kang d_mac boy niyan. Haha.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by beni23 View Post
    Easy lang *numbah5, magmumukha kang d_mac boy niyan. Haha.

I'm just making a clarification for all the misconceptions about the oils for our Trailblazers. Dito sa thread na ito, nagtutulungan kami. Mas maganda nang better informed ang lahat agad kesa magkaroon ng problem in the long run. Medyo off ang comment mo comparing me to d_mac/dtkiko.
    Last edited by numbah5; March 5th, 2013 at 01:22 PM.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by numbah5
    I'm just making a clarification for all the misconceptions about the oils for our Trailblazers. Dito sa thread na ito, nagtutulungan kami. Mas maganda nang better informed ang lahat agad kesa magkaroon ng problem in the long run. Medyo off ang comment mo comparing me to d_mac/dtkiko.
    Sorry po your highness. Hindi na po mauulit. Pasensya na po talaga.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Many thanks to numbah5 for helping me out regarding my oil problem. Went back to chevy GH for complete drainage of the liqui-moly CF rated oil and they replaced it with 7L of AC Delco dexos2 oil free of charge. I drived my TrailB using the liqui-moly top tec 4100 oil twice thru nlex and what i noticed is that the NVH became better but performance was reduced as well as fuel efficiency. Now ok na ulit performance and fuel efficiency parang sa mineral oil before the 1st PMS.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Ano kaya Sir ang brand ng mineral oil na nakalagay na originally? Parang pareho lang sila ng Dexos2 ng effect sa engine except that it required shorter oil change interval. Is this also available sa mga Casa and an alternative choice over the fully synthetic oil? Why is it that going for the fully synthetic oil the distance travelled interval doubles (5K to 10K) while the time interval is not doubled (Only 4months-6months). My first oil change will be this month and I just want an informed decision and choice, Thanks.

2012 Chevrolet Trailblazer