New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Why not a gray-market Evo III??? It could cost less than a QQ...

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    A lot has happened in the year since I last posted the query on whether I should get a QQ or not. The majority suggested I try to up the ante, and that is what I did.

Unfortunately second hand cars in this point in time do not seem to be advisable, given the thousands of submerged cars from typhoons in the last few months, so a brand new car seems to be the only logical choice if reliability is a priority.

I saved up a little more, and decided to get a Hyundai i10, 1.2 GLS manual.

Again, it was the only thing in its price range, The Picanto (which is it's platform twin, though technologically less advanced engine-wise), Getz, Jazz, City and Yaris were all at least 100K more expensive. I've read a lot of positive reviews, Hyundai is virtually up there with the top brands now as far as branding and reliability are concerned, a far cry from a few years ago, and is a good value given the amount of standard equipment for the GLS model, not to mention the lots of freebies. Yes, I still wish I've could have gone bigger (I kinda like the 1.5 City), but with rising gas prices, and me, still being a government employee, bang for the buck is a priority.

The closest in price was a Suzuki Celerio, at 528K. While the dual airbags and ABS (both of which come standard) are pretty impressive, the cramped rear seats and trunk area, and the anemic 1.0l engine, the comments about long spare part turnaround times turned the tide in favor of the i10.

To all those who dissuaded me from getting a Chery QQ, thanks! Nothing against QQ owners. I'm pretty sure in a few years' time, Cherys will build up a reputation as well (like Hyundai), as long as they stay in the game. I'm now off to the Hyundai section of this forum. :-)

Thanks a bunch guys.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    It was a good choice in that budget range! Congrats on your i10!

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    did you purchase the i 10? heard this unit has stop production in korea meaning no parts availble, please verify with your dealership, got his info from a friend who has i10.
    QQ is not the best and safest car in the world also same with other makes and models.
    QQ definetly has a reliable engine (use it in autocross race in cebu)other than that interior and accesories are crap, they fall of easily and doesnt sit well. but for the price maybe you can close your eyes.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AjKq6ypnY8"]YouTube- HONDA CRX VS CHERY QQ[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIvs9HcRK5U"]YouTube- P1020560 NMA dennis with Chery QQ vs Honda civic[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by ronallandottk View Post
    A lot has happened in the year since I last posted the query on whether I should get a QQ or not. The majority suggested I try to up the ante, and that is what I did.

Unfortunately second hand cars in this point in time do not seem to be advisable, given the thousands of submerged cars from typhoons in the last few months, so a brand new car seems to be the only logical choice if reliability is a priority.

I saved up a little more, and decided to get a Hyundai i10, 1.2 GLS manual.

Again, it was the only thing in its price range, The Picanto (which is it's platform twin, though technologically less advanced engine-wise), Getz, Jazz, City and Yaris were all at least 100K more expensive. I've read a lot of positive reviews, Hyundai is virtually up there with the top brands now as far as branding and reliability are concerned, a far cry from a few years ago, and is a good value given the amount of standard equipment for the GLS model, not to mention the lots of freebies. Yes, I still wish I've could have gone bigger (I kinda like the 1.5 City), but with rising gas prices, and me, still being a government employee, bang for the buck is a priority.

The closest in price was a Suzuki Celerio, at 528K. While the dual airbags and ABS (both of which come standard) are pretty impressive, the cramped rear seats and trunk area, and the anemic 1.0l engine, the comments about long spare part turnaround times turned the tide in favor of the i10.

To all those who dissuaded me from getting a Chery QQ, thanks! Nothing against QQ owners. I'm pretty sure in a few years' time, Cherys will build up a reputation as well (like Hyundai), as long as they stay in the game. I'm now off to the Hyundai section of this forum. :-)

Thanks a bunch guys.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Magandang choice yan i10. Better the 1.2 over the 1.1. And the blue colored ones are a looker. Add the 5 years (pa rin ba?) warranty. Congrats and have fun.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG_AL View Post
    did you purchase the i 10? heard this unit has stop production in korea meaning no parts availble, please verify with your dealership, got his info from a friend who has i10.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but reliable references and sources state that the i10 ISN'T actually produced in Korea. ALL i10s are manufactured by Hyundai's Chennai plant in India, and exported all over the world. So, the i10 was never produced in Korea.

This, apparently, is why the i10 is significantly cheaper than it's platform twin, the Kia Picanto (both use the same shortened Getz platform, and the same 1.1l IRdE engine, and as you probably already know, Kia is under the Hyundai Kia Automotive Group). Labor costs are supposedly cheaper in India than in Korea, and that is reflected in the price difference between i10s and Picantos, even though they're basically the same car.

From what I've read and heard, the i10 is quite a popular car throughout the world, with a cult following all its own, so spare parts availability shouldn't really be problem, except of course for the typical supply and demand concerns.

As for the QQ's engine, I have no real doubts as to its potency and reliability. In fact this is probably the QQ's strongest asset, as it is engineered and designed by AVL in Germany, and isn't lacking in the technology department, having twin cams and 16 valves, the only one in it's class to do so. The 1.1L IRdE of the i10 and the Picanto does its business with a single cam and 12 valves.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolHack View Post
    Magandang choice yan i10. Better the 1.2 over the 1.1. And the blue colored ones are a looker. Add the 5 years (pa rin ba?) warranty. Congrats and have fun.
    Tech freaks would appreciate the 1.2l Kappa engine. Twin cams, 16 valves, maintenance free chain drive, all aluminum, more power and torque with supposedly the same fuel consumption as the 1.1 IRdE. The 1.1 i10 is already a great car, but the 1.2 only makes it better.

I opted for a more somber silver color. While the blue color definitely makes the car a looker, at my age, I'd prefer the car to look more "serious" than "cute." :-)

Warranty is still 5 year/100,000 Km. On a side note, the Picanto is covered by a 5 year/160,000 Km warranty.

Thanks. :-)

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Congratulation on your choice of Hyundai i10. As long as you like the car and its a fuel saver.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by speed unlimited View Post
    Congratulation on your choice of Hyundai i10. As long as you like the car and its a fuel saver.
    but it's fuel consumption is not really a saver compared to other small vehicles. read at i10 thread, madami umaangal sa FC nito hehe. so, India rin pala ang Hyundai i10, hmm. Maruti-Suzuki is the largest automaker there, siguro pangalawa itong sa Hyundai.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    or you can do the next best thing and buy my hyundai getz,im leaving for singapore hehehe

buying a brand new car means that you have to shoulder the depreciasion...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast