New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    As a pinoy is TOEFL required for studying overseas?

I thought the Philippines itself is a TOEFL destination but when I asked the admin of a certain university here in Japan they are asking me to take a TOEFL test and get at least a score of 500 as a requirement.

http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/TOEFL/pdf/univ0708.pdf
    Japan is also included as a TOEFL destination

anyone care to clarify?
    AFAIK, pinoy nurses and engineers are not required to take the TOEFL test when working overseas.

btw, if finances permits I'll be taking a second degree. not a sure thing tho.
    Last edited by Negus; August 13th, 2009 at 01:02 PM.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    It doesn't mean that if it's a TOEFL destination then it's exempted for that exam. It only shows the places on where you could take your exams.

Some countries prefer IELTS exams over TOEFL because of the differences in British English and American English.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    It doesn't mean that if it's a TOEFL destination then it's exempted for that exam. It only shows the places on where you could take your exams.
    the list above is a directory of universities, agencies, and other
    institutions that accept TOEFL scores. I'm not sure if those universities give out tests too, but TOEFL has a testing center run by a private company in tokyo.

TOEFL Test Center
    R-Prometric K.K.
    Kayabacho-Tower 15F
    1-21-1 Shinkawa
    Chuo-Ku
    Tokyo 104-0033
    Japan
    I already showed them a certification from my alma mater (listed under Philippines on the PDF file) as proof that I have undergone courses using English as a primary medium of instruction. I am not fussing about the exams, I could take it in a heartbeat. It's just the cost of traveling to Tokyo, renting out a hotel room irks me. The weird thing is when I started to explain myself in English they immediately requested for me to speak in Japanese.
    Last edited by Negus; August 13th, 2009 at 02:55 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    and yes I'm gonna stop fussing about it and register for the test or nothing is gonna happen
    It might come in handy someday.
    Last edited by Negus; August 13th, 2009 at 02:57 PM.

Is TOEFL required for studying overseas?