New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Hi guys!

Fortunately the end of my second degree is quickly arriving (I'm graduating this 17th). I finished Marine Transportation first, but due to the fact that I have a great passion for IT (actually I have been programming since I was eight years old and I've been assembling desktop computers as well at the same age), I took another degree and it's Information Systems in DLS-CSB.

Anyways, I've read over at Inquirer.net an article about San Francisco, CA, generating 5.6 million jobs in the IT industry in the next four years, given credible information, I thought I'd give it a go and try it out.

I have enough savings I think to get me through processing my Visa, renting a room, and basic expenses till things settle once I get there, but a problem would be an employer. Hence I asked.

The problem is, I'm not sure if I qualify for an E-1 Process Prioritization in the Visa application. Well, I have been involved in Microsoft's Imagine Cup in 2008 and bagged 2nd-Runner Up. I've also been involved in the same competition this 2009 and bagged 1st-Runner Up in the National Finals. Both events were televised and our team had our respective articles in Manila Bulletin and other publications for both events, with our pictures included as well in the newspapers. My thesis team has also claimed Best Thesis, and I'll be graduating either as an Honorable Mention or a Cum Laude as well. The E-1 states exemplary skills in the field, and I'm not pretty sure if such can be considered as exemplary or honored as such.

Otherwise, I'd be on E-3, and I have no definite employer yet in the place. I know I have been advised to work here muna locally in an IT firm for 2 years then saka na lang mag-migrate, but I'm pretty determined to seek for independence and really start from the ground up rather than what I have experienced with the family business at the soonest (which is being an owner hence immediately at the top).

So there, I was wondering if anyone here is in the know of an employer or friends who can tip me with where to apply there as fresh grad? (it's a second course, but since the first one entirely lacks a connection with I.T., I'll consider myself a fresh grad na lang. lol) I'm pretty adept naman with C#, ASP.Net, JAVA, PHP, Device Programming, Web Designing, Flash, Oracle, etc.. I'm also good in Systems Analysis and Design, UI Designing, and Accounting and Business/Project Feasibility Analysis and Risks Researches. I can effectively manage teams or work individually, but bottomline is that I'm pretty confident that I can deliver and make a difference for the firm naman.

And there we go... literally I guess I marketed myself just now. But please be noted that I am indeed gonna start from scratch once I get there. No relatives, no family, just me. I really want to maximize what I learned in my course and make a difference, and hearing San Francisco just made me decide to make it the place where I'll work. And that's the reason I made the post din siguro, coz' I really am clueless still at the moment, but really willing to do anything and everything to start anew there, and your tips guys would pretty much be appreciated.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    First, I admire your desire to work in Silicon Valley or the Bay area.

Second, as you may already be aware, there is a recession right now and hundreds of thousands are without work from coast to coast. Some if not most, have even better education and work experience than many of us.

Third, SanFo is a very expensive place. In fact, many have opted to move out of the city because of the high cost of living. If you plan on going solo, better bring a lot of dough.

I'm not going to discourage you from aiming for your dream but I just hope you also consider other lucrative places like Europe, Middle East and even Asia.

Unfortunately, I don't have any contact with someone who can recommend you for a job as one of my links got axed from Adobe recently.

Best of luck.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    I've been to the US for business trips on years 2006 and 2008. Job demand for our work is very low. Most of the IT jobs are being outsourced here in the Philippines and India.

Most of the big companies are very picky in schools but if you have stellar achievements in your work experience then that can be used as an edge. So bottom line is, get work experience from a multinational company such as Accenture, P&G and HP or an American company such as Safeway.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchtower View Post
    First, I admire your desire to work in Silicon Valley or the Bay area.

Second, as you may already be aware, there is a recession right now and hundreds of thousands are without work from coast to coast. Some if not most, have even better education and work experience than many of us.

Third, SanFo is a very expensive place. In fact, many have opted to move out of the city because of the high cost of living. If you plan on going solo, better bring a lot of dough.

I'm not going to discourage you from aiming for your dream but I just hope you also consider other lucrative places like Europe, Middle East and even Asia.

Unfortunately, I don't have any contact with someone who can recommend you for a job as one of my links got axed from Adobe recently.

Best of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by froshie1 View Post
    I've been to the US for business trips on years 2006 and 2008. Job demand for our work is very low. Most of the IT jobs are being outsourced here in the Philippines and India.

Most of the big companies are very picky in schools but if you have stellar achievements in your work experience then that can be used as an edge. So bottom line is, get work experience from a multinational company such as Accenture, P&G and HP or an American company such as Safeway.
    Thank you Sirs for the objective replies. I've sent an e-mail pa man din to Adobe in their office there, it seems that ain't gonna go anywhere from the news here.

I was expecting the replies with concerns about the recession issue, and rest assured I have looked into other options like Singapore and New Zealand, however I do not have enough points to get a chance for migrating to the latter and a relative of mine is discouraging me to go to the former (Sin city raw kuno kahit malaki sahod mataas naman COLA at bisyo raw). Add to that the constraints with some crazy future-planning that restricted my option to San Francisco.

Basing from the replies, I guess following the fall-back plan of working here first would be the most realistic. Just worried though that I get too consumed in working that I forget the idea of migrating... lol but, then again, thanks po Sirs for the informative replies. Man, guess I'd have to either wait or work seriously hard. Guess it's not the best of times to venture into the wild after being hidden inside the family business for too long.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    i have 2 friends who went to new york and meron naman silang work dun, of course meron silang referalls and green card na ata sila eh but IT rin ang job nila doon and medyo mas magaling pa sila kesa sa mga ibang employees doon, parang mas madiskarte pa sila so siguro kinuha sila, although i forgot the name of the company pero goodluck to you

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005

BR14,- not now. I-nurture mo muna ang iyong 'relationship'....

8800:juggle:

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jm.chan View Post
    i have 2 friends who went to new york and meron naman silang work dun, of course meron silang referalls and green card na ata sila eh but IT rin ang job nila doon and medyo mas magaling pa sila kesa sa mga ibang employees doon, parang mas madiskarte pa sila so siguro kinuha sila, although i forgot the name of the company pero goodluck to you
    Oh, sana po Sir mag-pop up uli yung name ng company. Hehe

Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

BR14,- not now. I-nurture mo muna ang iyong 'relationship'....

8800:juggle:
    Actually Sir that's one of the "constraints", hehe. Currently she has two options, either wait for her promotion or accept her sister's offer to migrate and work there (her sister's living in San Francisco with her husband). If it's the former, it should buy me some time to work locally and use the experience as I migrate soon, but if it's the latter, well the odds are all against me but I'm taking it.

Starting from scratch as a Fresh Grad in San Francisco, CA