The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    grammar police alert!

semester means twice a year

tri = 3

so tri-sem is an oxymoron

just like "tribike". a bike has 2 wheels, i.e. "BI". so a tribike doesn't know if it has 2 or 3 wheels LOL. it's called tricycle

2. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Kung matalino yung wife mo, pwede siyang makakuha ng scholarship sa kahit anong top university. Get a good pre-law course (pol sci, psych, philo, etc) to help prepare her for the rigor of law school.

Wag mo isiping madali lang makapasok sa law school and any undergrad will do. Sure, that may hold true for crappy law schools, but kung maglalaw ka na rin naman, bat hindi pa Ateneo/San Beda/UP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sayang nga po ang talino. Kaya pag aaralin..
    Mukang sa arellano nagugustuhan bsba major in corp law ata yun then law narin sa arellano or FEU bsba major in internal audit.. nagustuhan sa arellano kasi pwd pa daw siya mag work during bsba school niya.
    La salle sana. Senario late na naisip mag aral..hindi na makaka kuha ng entrance exam..

3. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    so you want any college degree, so the person can go to the next level... law school..
    i suppose you will want a good law school, so's the graduate can take the bar exam and pass it, the first time.
    what if the law school says, "that college you came from is no good.. we'll have to reject you.."

my point being, that college degree may be the last stab at education that you may get.. choose wisely and make the most of it. pag-hihirapan nyo na lang.. might as well do it right. kung hindi matuloy sa law school, mayroon back-up na matinong college degree na baka puedeng pagka-kuwartahan..

if wife already has college units tucked under her belt, the school she will go to for her college degree might consider these units and give her due credits. she may not have to take these same subjects again.

good luck.
    Thanks sa advice sir..

Kaya nagustuhan sa arellano. Kasi pag grad daw niya sa arellano e doon na din siya mag law..
    Pero nag iisip parin mag FEU bsba major in internal audit para pag grad daw niya pwd siya pumasok sa BIR..

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dishcom View Post
    Thanks sa advice sir..

Kaya nagustuhan sa arellano. Kasi pag grad daw niya sa arellano e doon na din siya mag law..
    Pero nag iisip parin mag FEU bsba major in internal audit para pag grad daw niya pwd siya pumasok sa BIR..
    Hindi naman sa jinujudge ko ang Arellano at FEU, pero mas maganda talaga ang quality of education sa DLSU/UP/ADMU for undergrad, and Ateneo/UP/San Beda for Law.

A good education will open up way more opportunities for you in life, so I suggest that you put more thought into it and go for the best instead of just what's convenient or the quickest.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Hindi naman sa jinujudge ko ang Arellano at FEU, pero mas maganda talaga ang quality of education sa DLSU/UP/ADMU for undergrad, and Ateneo/UP/San Beda for Law.

A good education will open up way more opportunities for you in life, so I suggest that you put more thought into it and go for the best instead of just what's convenient or the quickest.

Siguro tapusin muna ni misis ang BS niya. Then we will decide again kung saan siya kukuha ng law....
    Hindi din kasi ako na niniwala na asa galing ng school ang galing ng student.. basic lang kasi tinuro sa school. Then ikaw na bahala mag explore ng iba pa...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Siguro tapusin muna ni misis ang BS niya. Then we will decide again kung saan siya kukuha ng law....
    Hindi din kasi ako na niniwala na asa galing ng school ang galing ng student.. basic lang kasi tinuro sa school. Then ikaw na bahala mag explore ng iba pa...
    Well, that's your choice.

Obviously, it boils down to the person, but why set up yourself at a disadvantage? If the corporate ladder was a journey to 50th floor of a building, why start on the ground floor when you can start on, say, the 5th floor?

Unlike in running your own business where your resume doesn't matter, the corporate world actually cares. A graduate of a good school doesn't automatically mean they're better than graduates of mediocre ones, but the the average trend points to that, which is why recruiters take it into consideration as well.

Also, a good university doesn't just offer the basics. They are not diploma mills, they teach you critical thinking, social awareness, presentation skills, how to carry yourself, and many more things that you don't see on the syllabus.

Last edited by jut703; February 19th, 2016 at 11:37 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015

I'm 100% sure that I wouldn't be where I am now, this early in my career, if I didn't have the opportunity to study in a good university. But don't take my word for it - look at the other members on this board that are successful in the corporate world. Most, if not all, from top schools. Obviously, it boils down to the person, but why set up yourself at a disadvantage?

If the corporate ladder was a journey to 50th floor of a building, why start on the ground floor when you can start on, say, the 5th floor?

Unlike in running your own business where your resume doesn't matter, the corporate world actually cares. A graduate of a good school doesn't automatically mean they're better than graduates of mediocre ones, but the the average trend points to that, which is why recruiters take it into consideration as well.

Also, a good university doesn't just offer the basics. They are not diploma mills, they teach you critical thinking, social awareness, presentation skills, how to carry yourself, and many more things that you don't see on the syllabus.

well said.

you're a brilliant young man, jut. even if you finished your tertiary education from an unheard of community college, am sure as hell you'll still get where you are now (and no doubt in my mind that you'll achieve your full potential). only a fraction gets into pisay. i had a roommate before in UP (i did not graduate from UP btw) who graduated from pisay topped the geo board exam and what we did was to drink most of the time. i think it's the brilliance in you and the go-getter attitude that bring you somewhere.

my former law partner's only son graduated from an international school in high school and at singapore university in college, but right now is still living with him without work.

lucio tan graduated from FEU by the way. andrew tan, too. oh, i forgot, a distant cousin placed 5th in the 1970 bar examinations graduated from FEU too.

"the fault my dear cesar is not in our stars but in ourselves."

8. Join Date
    Oct 2015

Obviously, it boils down to the person, but why set up yourself at a disadvantage? If the corporate ladder was a journey to 50th floor of a building, why start on the ground floor when you can start on, say, the 5th floor?

Actually sir kaya ko gusto niya mag law at gusto ko rin na mag law siya e para maka alis sa work na may boss.. nakikita ko lang na advantage ng galing sa bigating school e yung connections plus confidence na galing sila sa bigating school.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Martinez View Post
    well said.

you're a brilliant young man, jut. even if you finished your tertiary education from an unheard of community college, am sure as hell you'll still get where you are now (and no doubt in my mind that you'll achieve your full potential). only a fraction gets into pisay. i had a roommate before in UP (i did not graduate from UP btw) who graduated from pisay topped the geo board exam and what we did was to drink most of the time. i think it's the brilliance in you and the go-getter attitude that bring you somewhere.

my former law partner's only son graduated from an international school in high school and at singapore university in college, but right now is still living with him without work.

lucio tan graduated from FEU by the way. andrew tan, too.

"the fault my dear cesar is not in our stars but in ourselves."
    Bro you flatter me too much, thank you for the kind words. But everyone else, I only try to make the most of the cards I'm dealt with. I'm just fortunate to have been given the chance for a good education - and I value it so much that I would always advise anyone else to try and maximize opportunities for good education themselves.

I agree that someone who truly has fire in him will get far, regardless of school. But again, I go back to my analogy - you usually start higher up the ladder when you've got good credentials. I've had officemates who I'm sure are more competent than I am, but because their backgrounds weren't as impressive, they started out lower and had to work their way up, so they were in their late 20s/early 30s already when they caught up with the level of the guys in their early 20s.

Of course, like in your example, some people are just not that driven, that once they're out of the school system (which served as their backbone), they fall to pieces and continue to live off their parents instead of standing on their own.

Lucio Tan and Andrew Tan on the other hand, are entrepreneurs. Like I said, in business, anything goes so the school doesn't matter as much.

Ultimately, there will always be people who buck the trend. But not everyone will be outliers, so why not just try to get the odds in your favor as much as you can?

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Actually sir kaya ko gusto niya mag law at gusto ko rin na mag law siya e para maka alis sa work na may boss.. nakikita ko lang na advantage ng galing sa bigating school e yung connections plus confidence na galing sila sa bigating school.
    Even as a lawyer, you will still be working under more senior partners. You don't just graduate out of law school and suddenly have a successful law firm of your own right away. Most established lawyers I know started out working under bigger law firms early on in their law career.

I think you'd do well to ask Atty. JM on his firsthand experience as a lawyer, to see if reality is aligned with your expectations.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast