New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    the American Chamber of Commerce is trying to influence the Phil. govt to create more profitable conditions for Ford here

but the Phil. govt can only go so far before coming into conflict with the interests of other business groups (like CBU importers, used car importers)

AmCham can't have it all

what does AmCham want?

a ban on all CBU imports?

so the only new cars you can buy here are those assembled by Ford and other CAMPI members?

not gonna happen
    They didn't mention CBUs since more than half of Ford's line up are CBUs. Talagang galit sila sa mga questionable imports passing through Port Irene... Pero takot naman sila kay JPE. Just mentioning in public that JPE is protecting Port Irene is enough to cost a public shakedown from him.

“There will be no real progress in the industry unless the smuggling of vehicles is eliminated,” Forbes said adding that there are reports that imported used vehicles are still on sale in the country. “The Philippines can’t have both smuggling and car production.”
    Last edited by Monseratto; August 16th, 2010 at 07:40 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    They didn't mention CBUs since more than half of Ford's line up are CBUs. Talagang galit sila sa mga questionable imports passing through Port Irene... Pero takot naman sila kay JPE. Just mentioning in public that JPE is protecting Port Irene is enough to cost a public shakedown from him.
    +1 then we must really choose between importation and production of cars..

and the common denominator fo this two boils down to taxes

in Importation, lower taxes for the new CBU and higher taxes for the secondhand cars.

In production, tax incentives to our local manufacturers.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    I remember there was a senate hearing about Port Irene. GMA has just closed the loopholes in the questionable entry of surplus second hand import through Subic. But the American Chamber of Commerce were questioning the entry through Port Irene. It was in Enrile's turf and his son-in-law was running the show. Enrile berated them for interfering on how to run the port, which was supposed to be a ecozone. GMA was hands off since Enrile was politically scratching her back. Untouchable ika nga.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I have a couple of brothers who would claim a totally different opinion on SUVs from you about SUVs lasting 20 years.

The SUVs in question is a Ford Expedition and a 2nd gen Honda CRV.
    hey i have 4x4 crv too. if i'm going to sell now, siguro maswerte na sa 380K. Honda casa's last quotation for me is baka daw i'm going to replace the bushing and the stabilizer links as well as all four shocks sa next PMS. i had the orig Honda parts sourced in Banawe, so compared to Honda's price, halos half ang natipid ko. from a near 100K quotation by Honda, na-reduce ko na ang cost ng parts to about 30K, so labor na lang. i have yet to check out the recommendations of hondaclub kung san ang pinaka-the best installer ng Honda.

say i spend 60K all-in to replace the worn out parts which took 11 years for me to break, di mas mura pa din vs. buying a 3rd gen crv to tune of 1.5M Pesos. and who knows maybe it can last 10 years more since I use as an alternative SUV na.

regarding dun sa expedition, well ibang usapan nga yun heheh. good thing i have a masa SUV to begin with, like the cRV.

tingin ko if one will buy today, say sabay brand new Fortuner + Montero sport for city driving and occassional trips in the provinces, siguro magtatagal ng more than 10 years ang dalwang yun if used alternately. yun na nga lang ang kalaban niya is yun pag may bagong modelong labas, minsan nakaka-attract talaga kumuha kahit okey pa nman car mo

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jimnyeatworld View Post
    hey i have 4x4 crv too. if i'm going to sell now, siguro maswerte na sa 380K. Honda casa's last quotation for me is baka daw i'm going to replace the bushing and the stabilizer links as well as all four shocks sa next PMS. i had the orig Honda parts sourced in Banawe, so compared to Honda's price, halos half ang natipid ko. from a near 100K quotation by Honda, na-reduce ko na ang cost ng parts to about 30K, so labor na lang. i have yet to check out the recommendations of hondaclub kung san ang pinaka-the best installer ng Honda.

say i spend 60K all-in to replace the worn out parts which took 11 years for me to break, di mas mura pa din vs. buying a 3rd gen crv to tune of 1.5M Pesos. and who knows maybe it can last 10 years more since I use as an alternative SUV na.

regarding dun sa expedition, well ibang usapan nga yun heheh. good thing i have a masa SUV to begin with, like the cRV.

The point is to have a dependable mode of personal transport. An old car is an old car. Things that shouldn't normally break down are starting to fail simply due to age and general material fatigue. Even electronics have a limited lifetime. Switches have a limited lifetime.

You might be able to keep a 20 year old car running but how often & how much effort would you be giving to fixing it up? It would be great if you have a live-in mechanic to maintain your old cars like if they were new but most of us wouldn't have that luxury.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tingin ko if one will buy today, say sabay brand new Fortuner + Montero sport for city driving and occassional trips in the provinces, siguro magtatagal ng more than 10 years ang dalwang yun if used alternately. yun na nga lang ang kalaban niya is yun pag may bagong modelong labas, minsan nakaka-attract talaga kumuha kahit okey pa nman car mo

Why not just save the P1M++ to buy a new SUV at a later time?

Having two new SUVs now would just mean you would have two very old SUVs many years from now. Not to mention the paid up insurance, LTO, perodic maintenance, etc.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Why not just save the P1M++ to buy a new SUV at a later time?

Having two new SUVs now would just mean you would have two very old SUVs many years from now. Not to mention the paid up insurance, LTO, perodic maintenance, etc.
    I do agree. Two thumbs up here for me.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    I remember there was a senate hearing about Port Irene. GMA has just closed the loopholes in the questionable entry of surplus second hand import through Subic. But the American Chamber of Commerce were questioning the entry through Port Irene. It was in Enrile's turf and his son-in-law was running the show. Enrile berated them for interfering on how to run the port, which was supposed to be a ecozone. GMA was hands off since Enrile was politically scratching her back. Untouchable ika nga.
    well according to my not so reliable source.... Lolo JPE was getting a bigger cut of the dough... but kidding aside this was one of the set back during that time, in the beginning it was a very hot issue then it went pppppfffftttt.

It's very impractical to buy two new SUV at once, if I'm given a chance and if the urge of buying the two is unpreventablethen I'll buy bought with a gap of 5 years in buying the first and the second one.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
NEWS: RP must choose between producing and importing automobiles