New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by vilaern
    thanks for your opinions guys. it helps a lot. question lang, what if i want to start from the beginning, where should i concentrate?
    If you're really interested in Unix, I suggest you start by reading a book on Unix basics. Although there are a lot of Unix variants, their foundation or basics are pretty much the same.

Once you have a complete grasp of how Unix works and starts to understand the structure of a Unix system, you can now move on to more advance areas of Unix like networking or writing scripts or system administration for Unix systems or whatever you want.

Unix is a very powerful and stable OS, I am a Unix convert for about 7 years now and I'm still fascinated by it.

HTH

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    If you want to switch careers, working towards a bachelor's degree or MS IT is your best bet. A strong foundation is necessary in order to not get lost in ever-changing technology. So you will get the basics from there.

As a hobby or "learn just for fun", the Internet is always available.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Ang mahirap lang sa trabaho ng Systems Administrator, parati kang ON-CALL. Saka hindi mo gaano ma-express ang creativity mo by administering servers dahil puro legwork na trabaho ito. Typical na trabaho mo:

"Mr. Sysad, nakalimutan ko password ko, paki-reset naman."

"Mr. Sysad, hindi ko ma-access yung directory, permission denied daw."

"Mr. Sysad, hindi ako maka-connect sa network."

"Mr. Sysad, may virus yung PC ko. Help!"

"Mr. Sysad, nag-crash yung server, pumunta ka sa opis ngayon na!" (it's 3 AM)

After a few months, nakaka-bored saka nakaka-tiring.

Unlike if you are a programmer. You can even do your work at home and unleash your creative style. Maganda rin ang Systems Analyst kasi you can design software according to your customer's needs. Or maybe Project Manager.

Sysad lang ang ayokong trabaho sa IT saka yung mga network engineer na gumagapang sa kisame to layout networking cables.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Try to email my son at mark.domingo*gmail.com. He maybe able to help you, he is very much familiar to Linux.

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    inutusan ako ng boss ko dati na edit yung isang unix file .. so nag-vi ako at nag-edit .. nung natapos ako bigla ako ginawang unix admin .. kahit wala akong alam sa administration .. if you're interested .. just buy yung pinaka-basic unix book .. yung nabibili sa national bookstore na black book .. less than P200 .. walang siyang kwenta if you're advanced na .. but kung for appreciation lang, i found it quite usefull ..

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyFerrari
    Ang mahirap lang sa trabaho ng Systems Administrator, parati kang ON-CALL. Saka hindi mo gaano ma-express ang creativity mo by administering servers dahil puro legwork na trabaho ito. Typical na trabaho mo:

"Mr. Sysad, nakalimutan ko password ko, paki-reset naman."

"Mr. Sysad, hindi ko ma-access yung directory, permission denied daw."

"Mr. Sysad, hindi ako maka-connect sa network."

"Mr. Sysad, may virus yung PC ko. Help!"

"Mr. Sysad, nag-crash yung server, pumunta ka sa opis ngayon na!" (it's 3 AM)

After a few months, nakaka-bored saka nakaka-tiring.

Unlike if you are a programmer. You can even do your work at home and unleash your creative style. Maganda rin ang Systems Analyst kasi you can design software according to your customer's needs. Or maybe Project Manager.

Sysad lang ang ayokong trabaho sa IT saka yung mga network engineer na gumagapang sa kisame to layout networking cables.
    I can relate to this, but ang pinaka-ayaw ko sa lahat is the dreaded user ID10T error

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    hi, Citrix is a name of a company that became popular with Terminal Services, Remote Access controls, etc. The most popular product that they have to date is Citrix Metaframe XP. IMO, you don't need to specialize in their products. Not many companies use them. And, if one does use them, normally they wouldn't hire someone to use Citrix.

UNIX was the most popular choice a decade ago. Then came linux. Linux is a product of UNIX experts. It has a lot of flavors (Linux flavors). The commercial flavors are Red Hat, SUSE, Turbo, Asianux, S390, Miracle/RedFlag. Independent flavors are also numerous. CentOS, Fedora, Debian, etc. etc.

If you already started in UNIX (most likely Linux), you can continue with this. In my opinion, Formal University/College education on IT is ok but not required. Short quality courses will do. You can check Meralco Foundation for local training which is cheap. I heard that the quality of training is really at par with International centers. They are in partnership with IBM and CIsco i believe. I wouldn't recommend commercial training centers becuase they are really expensive. Try googling Meralco Foundation.

Once you got formal training, the next logical step is Certification. Why? If you don't have a certification, you will have a hard time competing for jobs. The first thing that big companies check is the type and number of Certs that you have. There are two options: 1. Vendor Independent Cert---meaning your linux skills is general linux systems and network administration. You can check http://www.lpi.org for example. You can pursue LPIC-1, LPIC-2, and LPIC-3 (once it becomes available). 2. Vendor Specific Cert--- meaning you will specialize in one flavor. For example, if you choose Red Hat. You can eye RHCE, RHCT, RHCA/Enterprise Architect. Check the Redhat website for information on certs.

IMO, vendor independent cert is the right choice. The exams are cheaper $100 each for LPI -- 2 exams per cert. To know more about IT Certifications, google it. :-)

8. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    hi guys!!! just read all your comments and advises, thanks a lot guys! all your inputs are really informative and very helpful....i'm having a great thought for continuing Linux coz at least, i have little background of it and it's a bit fun for now....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
I.T professionals: need advice lang...