New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Hey I.T professionals!

just like to know your opinion with my inquiry......i'm not a graduate of IT course but i'm currently working in an IT company. I just like to ask your advice if i'm going to pursue a course or short courses in IT, where do i begin? i have been fascinated with IT products since i started to work in my office. we have been using UNIX and Citrix for our revenue accounting. Considering a kindergarden student in IT like me, What is UNIX and Citrix? i mean, If i'm going to continue to pursue these products, where do i begin? where can i study these products, what school? is it easy to study IT courses with little knowledge of it?

sometimes, i wish i should have studied an IT course during college if i only knew i can excel in this kind of field. but it's okey, i'll just study somehow and be proficient with such knowledge in IT. My company doesnt give me any training about this. Just had 2 months training about thier revenue accounting product to get employed. luckily, i passed and been using citrix and unix for our work.

mods, if i'm not in the correct forum, you can move it into the designated forum...

thanks again! just having some thoughts about this...just like to know some opinions....hehe

2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    depends on you career path...ano ba gusto mong gawin? or ano ba gusto mo maging trabaho???

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I've seen some courses for Linux Administration and this is close to what you want to achieve. I think Citrix is another Linux Flavor, with built in servers. Check out tipidpc.com, that's were I saw the classes being advertised.

If you want to learn. Create a linux partition on your desktop pc (i suggest mandriva, fedora or ubuntu), then get everything to work (all the devices). when all is well delete your windows partition and you'll be forced to learn linux. From shell scripting to installation.

Being a recent grad, I see a lot of web development using j2ee and asp.net. But being an exceptional admin for linux is hard to find. If ever you become an expert with linux administration, I am sure jobs will easily come your way.

If you want a crash course there's always the internet, the great thing about UNIX/Linux is that its open source and you'll find lots of resources out there. Search google and do some reading it will be worth your time.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    thanks for your opinions guys. it helps a lot. question lang, what if i want to start from the beginning, where should i concentrate?

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I started out programming ... then rbanching to scripting, algorithms, database, basic networking and now im wowrking im learning administration. But this is because I was in school. I had the luxury of time to learn all these. It might be diffent in your case
    Last edited by nmtin; September 30th, 2005 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Add

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rayana
    depends on you career path...ano ba gusto mong gawin? or ano ba gusto mo maging trabaho???

same advice too bro.
    goodluck.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    i'm not sure where to begin. but fortunately, lahat sila tama. i, like the threadstarter, was having qualms on career path. lucky for me, because i'm a graduate of IT course. recently, i'm about got the job i wanted- database administrator. but i started as a lowly office clerk in a company.

consider this: pursue what you think you will excel. you'll go places.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Since nasa IT ka na rin ngayon at meron ka na rin namang degree, I would recommend you to get a masteral degree (ie. MS in Computer Science) that is related to IT.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Baka makatulong lang sa iyo ito. I started as I programmer and hell there were lots of programming languages at nalito ako kung ano gagamitin ko. At last I decided to concentrate more in SQL. Then I had the chance to Administer Servers dahil requirement sa project (di ako nahirapan dito dahil Computer Engineer ako). Napa-isip ako noon kung ano ba yung path na tatahakin ko. So naghanap ako ng IT Profile na merong programming at administration. I ended up being a Database administrator hehehehe..... Try to define your profile para malaman mo kung ano talaga gusto mo.

From what you said you are already using Unix. Unix Administration at Programming (scripts) mataas ang demand at sahod nyan sa ibang bansa. Maraming Unix Resources sa Web and they are free. If you want certification, ask your company to send you to training. Search the web marami kang makikitang trainings at kung saan mo pwedeng kunin ito.

Sa Citrix mukhang ito ang servers ng Sharepoint ninyo (???) Anyway konti lang ang alam kong gumagamit ng Citrix pero dahil konti wala kang gaanong ka-kumpitensya sa job market meaning may advantage ka na di ba?

So much for that, just write down your profile and match that profile to existing IT profiles para di ka na mahirapan. Good luck!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
I.T professionals: need advice lang...