New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by froshie1 View Post
    Are there any compacts (Civic or Corolla etc..) that will match the ride comfort of an Accord or Camry?
    The Toyota Corolla Altis has a good and comfy ride.

The Honda Civic tends to be more on the stiff side in ride quality.

The Mitsubishi Lancer EX GLX/GLS/MX has a ride comfort that can't be matched unless you get a Camry or similar class vehicle.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy View Post
    focus ok ang ride..1.8L-2.0crdi choices
    I beg to differ on your opinion of the Focus.

The gasoline variants of the Ford Focus like the 1.6L to the 2.0L rides similar to the Civic, a little on the firm side. I would almost call it more sporty than comfort.

The Ford Focus 2.0T CRDi (Hatch) has a ride quality that can only be defined as stiff or very firm. The reason for that ride quality is the much heavier engine and transmission combination. The suspension was stiffened to handle the extra weight. Unfortunately, ride quality has "suffered" due to it. So driving at speed over small road bumps may have some spine jarring consequences.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If you're only looking for the ride, go for an Altis 1.6 or a secondhand 1.8. The soft suspension of the Corolla is poorly matched to the weight of the 2.0.

-

The Lancer is good, but the 18" wheels can be a bit thump-a-thump over lumpy roads. Lots better than the Civic.

-

Another "soft" compact is the Impreza.

-

The Focus is "supple" but not quite soft. If you're used to European style suspension tuning, you'll find it nice. If you're used to the Japanese definition of "soft", maybe not.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ditto most 1.6's nowadays have a soft ride and quite stable at high speed. Way better than the old 2.0s from the 1990s. One thing that makes me look at a 2.0 sedan or small SUV (given i drive around with kids and travel a lot on highways) is the space, the torque (even if its a matic) and the suspension doesnt squat too low when fully loaded.

Overall, I'd go with Niky's advice, look for a 1.8L Altis or a 2.0 Civic ES or 1.8 FD. if you think your budget is a bit tight for the likes of the Accord and Camry. Another option is those '03 to '06 Xtrails, Escape, etc. These will get you 7-8km/L in the city if driven and maintained properly.

On the question of take home pay, it really depends on what your priorities and expenses are. When i first graduated, i actually had more capability to own and maintain a large car since i was single and lived under my dad's roof. Now, i may be earning more but i have mouths to feed, tuition to pay, a house to maintain, etc. So if you're in doubt of your expenses, just save up and buy your toys later on when the time comes.
    Last edited by vinj; June 29th, 2010 at 09:54 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    I suggest you compute the following:
    *Total monthly expenses ( House Expaenses, Bills Etc )
    *The cost of your petrol according to usage...
    *Plus 10% of the total cost of the first 2 above...
    *Plus additional 10% of the total cost of the first 2 above for emergency fund just in case you need to fix the car when it breaks down.
    *Plus another 10% of the total cost of the first 2 above for savings ( future plans )...

Total mo lahat yan and you will get the ideal take home figure...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The Lancer is good, but the 18" wheels can be a bit thump-a-thump over lumpy roads. Lots better than the Civic.
    Yes, that is why I did not mention the Lancer EX GT nor the GTA variants. The GLX/GLS and MX variants come with 16 inch wheels which gives a more comfortable ride at the cost of handling.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
How much take home pay should you have to properly maintain a 2.0+ automobile?