New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    UITF - Unit Investment Trust Fund ---- designed for individual investors with low risk tolerance.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Look beyond the corporate image they project. Pre need companies are NOT banks... so they are not strictly regulated.

Anyone can rent office space, gather a bunch of agents and start selling pre need plans.

the money they collect can be put anywhere they see fit. And many of them put it in real estate. which everyone knows is not liquid. Unlike investment banks that are limited to putting money in liquid stuff.
    Last edited by uls; November 10th, 2006 at 02:47 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Philam ....got my sons Elementary and College plans..

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    times are getting harder these days kaya importante na pinaghahandaan natin ang ating future. i would go for getting an educational plan from a foreign company not local one. Philam looks good. My nephew has a college plan.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Philam actually benefitted from the collapse of CAP and other educ plans.

Philam's selling point is its size and its affilliation with the collosal AIG.

there are those who say an American special interest group was behind the collapse of the local pre need companies.

Educ pre need is a filipino phenomena. Walang ganyan sa states.

Pre need educ became so big here that it can no longer be ignored by American interests.

Someone pressured the SEC to declare the big local firms bankrupt or in danger of collapse.

Who gained? An AIG affilliate did.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    maganda yun sugestion ni happy_gilmore, yun product ng insurance company na nakakabit sa life insurance. nabanggit ko ang stock market at mutual fund kasi malaki din ang kinita ko dito for the past two years. so diversification is the name of the game for me, meron ako sa high risk and low risk na investment.

basta wag ka kukuha sa mga pre-need companies, natalo na rin ako dyan around 40K...di na ma refund ng buo ang binayad namin.

happy_gilmore, san insurance company ka kumuha nun product na nabanggit mo?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonimus View Post
    pero di ba karamihan ng mga educational plans ay company rin ng mga life insurance companies?

hindi naman lahat. parang subsidiaries lang....so that may sarili silang set of directors and officers. board members lang halos pareho. in relation to a previous thread here (yung nagsarang company), iba ang accounting and rules and regulations ng life insurance companies and pre-need companies.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by prinsipe View Post
    maganda yun sugestion ni happy_gilmore, yun product ng insurance company na nakakabit sa life insurance. nabanggit ko ang stock market at mutual fund kasi malaki din ang kinita ko dito for the past two years. so diversification is the name of the game for me, meron ako sa high risk and low risk na investment.

basta wag ka kukuha sa mga pre-need companies, natalo na rin ako dyan around 40K...di na ma refund ng buo ang binayad namin.

happy_gilmore, san insurance company ka kumuha nun product na nabanggit mo?
    insular life pre...pero i also work for another multinational life insurance company..

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For a preneed educational plan, just get either from Philam or Prudentialife. Both have proven their financial stability despite the collapse of other preneed companies. We have a number of preneed plans with one of them and we are quite confident with the top management of the company (since we know them personally).

Anyway, what really got CAP is the sheer volume of open-ended educational plans that they sold years ago. Couple this with the deregulazation of tuition fees and what you'll have is a catastrophic mix. The other preneed companies survived this disaster by opting not to offer open-ended educaitonal plans anymore and by staying liquid. CAP got into trouble when most of their trust funds & assets were tied down with long-term investments (realty & transportation). Actually, CAP could have survived this if the SEC did not stop them from selling new preneed plans.

As to the foreign versus local company comparison I think that is already a bit unfair for the locals who have worked their butts off. Foreign companies have their share of scandals & mismanagement - just look at the meltdown of the mulit-billion dollar company Enron.

Anyway - the name of the game in investments is diversity. Put a little in an educational fund... put a little in a time deposit... put a little in mutual funds... etc.

With an educational fund, the selling points is that it is also has an insurance component to it. So if you die (sorry if I sound morbid) while paying - the educational plan gets fully paid, your child will have an allowance to enable him to study GS & HS (for some plans), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by uls
    the money they collect can be put anywhere they see fit. And many of them put it in real estate. which everyone knows is not liquid. Unlike investment banks that are limited to putting money in liquid stuff.
    A common misconception. Only CAP did that and violated the SEC's trust fund liquidity ratio. If I remember correctly, 70% of the payments of planholders have to be placed in a trust fund and 70% of that should be liquid. The top preneed companies here pay over the said requirement just to play it safe.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    I would recommed you get the investment type of Philam Equitable. Its like an insurance that you get something when something happens to you. You can get the money when you needed it already for your kids tution. Just let me know Im from EPCIB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Good educational plan or any other option