New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by archie123456789 View Post
    IMO there is discrimination for the fact that it has the "elite" sense. it might not be a big deal for you but for some baka yan first choice nila but ended up with their second choice.

in the corporate world, there is also discrimination. from the line of industry... to the company vs company discrimination. but it does not mean that the ones that are discriminated against are not happy with their work. its just there kasi its the "elite" vs "pangmasa" thing.
    Elite vs pangmasa implies that the elite are a select few. But in the case of ME, they usually start with almost 200 people in a batch. Other supposedly 'lesser' courses such as say, AB Humanities start with at most 50 people. And yet there isn't any exclusivity to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I took up Mechanical Engineering in Mapua back in the early 80's. I didn't really want to. But, it was my parents pushing me to do so. A year into majoring, I decided I had had enough and went back to the US where I pursued what I really wanted to be which is a weather forecaster. A lot of the stuff I learned in Mapua helped such as writing bulletins and technical reports. Plus, all the math I learned beforehand enabled me to score very high in the college placement tests and skip the basic courses as a result.
    You're the kind of person I envy. I doubt I would actually have the courage to take the big leap and shift to CoE and follow my heart. I would never run out of questions to dissuade me. What if I wouldn't be better of in CoE? What if being in ME would actually help me find the career I want? What if I'm just exaggerating the difference if I shifted course? Every time I contemplate on processing my transfer, questions like these pop up and I never get to carry on. I always end up playing safe.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    To TS follow your passion, COE is one of the top degree in engineering. Its a good thing that you are willing to endure the math subjects in engineering; there are loads of them - from algebra, trigo, calculus to differential equations plus the design subjects. If it's really where your heart is go for it but as what others posted you may have to think about your dislike for working overseas. Most of my COE batchmates are overseas in the US, Singapore etc. I have the same thinking when I was still young but when the time comes for me to raise a family I have to join the bandwagon. BTW I'm an EE.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    jut703:
    then why do people give it so much importance?
    coz people size up other people by, among other things, educational attainment, and by what school people went to

"may pinag aralan yan"

"di nakatapos yan, hanggang high school (or elementary) lang yan"

"vocational lang yan"

"'bulok ang school na pinaggalingan nyan"

"Atenista yan"

and people also give it much importance coz of the higher paying jobs that come with it

but it takes way more than formal education to separate yourself from the rest

you don't become an Edgar Injap Sia (the Mang Inasal dude) by just finishing some college course

if that's the case, then anyone who went to college would be a billionaire

it takes other things not taught in school
    Last edited by uls; October 30th, 2010 at 12:03 PM.

4. Join Date
    May 2004
    ^^ yup part lang ng pag asenso ang pinagaralan at school na pinuntahan. nasayo pa rin yan.
    imo, coming from a CoE graduate, sa pananalita mo i would suggest shift to Electrical Engg at pagbutihin mo. I am sure mararating mo ang pangarap.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Elite vs pangmasa implies that the elite are a select few. But in the case of ME, they usually start with almost 200 people in a batch. Other supposedly 'lesser' courses such as say, AB Humanities start with at most 50 people. And yet there isn't any exclusivity to it.
    i think that course in particular (humanities) is not a course that most would like, thats why it gets the non-exclusivity to students. on the other hand, your course might be the one that most people want and yet only a few gets in. its not the number of available seats but the ratio of people that wants to get in vs the ones that actually gets in.
    Last edited by archie123456789; October 30th, 2010 at 01:51 PM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Originally Posted by jut703
    widen your perspective dude

compare 200 people taking up ME in Ateneo and thousands of people taking up ordinary management courses in other colleges and universities throughout the country

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    look at the big picture

what is the formal educational system anyway?

it's a factory

the raw materials are children

for +/- 15 years of our lives, we were shaped and formed by the system into finished products

manufactured to the specifications of government and industry

that ME course -- that's to manufacture people according to the specs of multinational companies

welcome to the machine

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_bvT-DGcWw"]YouTube - Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall[/ame]
    Last edited by uls; October 30th, 2010 at 02:05 PM.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post

compare 200 people taking up ME in Ateneo and thousands of people taking up ordinary management courses in other colleges and universities throughout the country
    He was referring to in-school discrimination based on sheer number. I was only trying to present the possibility that it's not just the "masa"-ness of something that diminishes its status. I would reckon it would also involve the difficulty of getting in the course, staying in the course and the advantage the course gives over others.

Furthermore, yes formal education is a routine drill, if you wanna look at it that way. Personally though I would still rather study than just receive a lump sum inheritance (though both would be ideal ). I actually do want to learn things. And in fact it's probably this pursuit of knowledge, this wanting to get something more out of education than merely a few additional lines to my curriculum vitae, that causes me to wonder if I should just drop ME altogether. If I didn't care at all, then I'd just stick with ME because it works. But then again what if it's possible to pursue what I want after graduating. Konting tiyaga for a safer future that might enable me to do what I want and not be a sales/marketing director/manager/slave for some big firm.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post

in my school, the in-school discrimination is based on grades and not on skin color, income tax, or accent.
    there are many people out there who talk and speak very good. but... they don't deliver the goods.
    the formal education system is an evolutionary product. and unless someone comes up with a really very good alternative, i'll stick with it right now.
    Last edited by dr. d; October 31st, 2010 at 01:39 PM.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ^^^

then after graduating, the ones who have high level connections get the highest paying jobs (even if they have low grades)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Does Your College Course Actually Help Siginificantly in Starting Your Career?