New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    The key to vehicle security is to layer it. Any professional thief can get away with your car if he chooses to, but of course he will choose to steal the one that can be stolen the fastest to avoid witnesses and to get away from the scene as quickly as possible so he cannot be caught.

I used to have Solex keys on my old '89 Lancer, then the ignition keys were separate. The steering wheel lock was still a separate key, so I always had to bring all three keys with me every time. Not much of a hassle, but better that than losing your car right?

When my wife stays in the car I sometimes joke around and lock her in with the Solex keys. She cannot open it from inside no matter how hard she pulls on the lock pins. I have to open it with the key.

Steering wheel locks are just as good as the other links in the security layer like the steering wheel shaft/hub, steering wheel itself, brake/clutch pedal arm, etc.

Niky mentioned a good solution, a kill switch. If you have a base model car with several blank slots on the dashboard then you can use a spare switch on one of those as the kill switch. Just make sure it looks factory if you're after the subtlely. If not, hide it somewhere only you know, and nothing obvious. Of course don't make it too complicated, make it as efficient as you can for yourself and as hard as you can for thieves.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    better than none at least. as they said deterrent ito. yung wala muna bago ikaw/tayo ang uunahin.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    meron na kaya dito sa pinas na DEAD-BOLT system? kahit na ma-unlock nila ung primary lock, there's no way na mabuksan nila ung door ng sasakyan. the only way is through the window. the DEAD-BOLT lock is controlled by means of a remote (keyless entry).

sa manual kasi ng DMAX may ganitong function, sa ibang model/variant nga lang ng DMAX available..

4. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    effective din a steering wheel lock na pang disguise.
    for me, no need sa mamahalin na lock.
    ang important is good quality door locks.
    if makita naman nila na may steering wheel lock ka mahal man o hindi, they would hesitate to carnap your car, possible nakawan ka nalang ng mga gamit inside like stereo and etc.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    walang mahirap sa taong desididong nakawin ang ssakyan mo. pinoy carnappers pa, maabilidad.. hehe

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by normanenoza View Post
    mas maganda siguro ang lock na para sa brake pedal.matagal nako naghahanap nito pero wala ako makita.puro combination nakikita ko.tanda ko may ganito na dati sa mga home shopping tv, kaya lang wala na ngayun.combination na lang binili ko.
    I got mine at True Value (or was it Handyman) Mall of Asia . Mga 700-900 ata ang isa.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Solex, san nabibili and for how much?tia

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Aside from my factory-installed car alarm/ (immobilizer), I also use a steering wheel lock as a detterent, even if some people have shown that it is not that effective.....

I'd say it is much better if it is visible from the outside.....

7606:mobile1:

9. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Aside from my factory-installed car alarm/ (immobilizer), I also use a steering wheel lock as a detterent, even if some people have shown that it is not that effective.....

I'd say it is much better if it is visible from the outside.....

7606:mobile1:
    same here.. car alarm, kill switch and steering wheel lock combo.
    dati meron pa ko nung lock sa pedals, kaso, sobrang hassle.. bago ko matanggal, pawis na ko! hehe...

steering wheel locks takes only a second to install and 2 seconds to take off. better than nothing, ika nga nung above posters.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Please do not buy cheap steering lock. Kapag tumagal ikaw ang mahihirapang magbukas kapag nasira susian or better bring lagaring bakal kung nasira man makakaalis ka pa rin.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Steering Wheel Lock - effective ba talaga?