New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Philippine Maps for Garmin Units

For automotive GPS devices, maps are just as important as the hardware, if not more so, because it is the maps who can tell which destinations are available, which streets are one way, the names of the streets, the no left turn intersections, where the U-turn slots are, etc. They also need to be regularly updated, as new roads, new flyovers, new traffic schemes, etc. can interfere with calculation of a route if they are not updated. So the maps needs to have a lot of ACCURATE, and UPDATED CONTENT.

'Philippine Maps'
    As of this writing, there are mainly two sources for maps for the Philippines online: Roadguide.ph, and OSM Philippines. My unit came with the demo map from Roadguide.ph installed, and it was okay, enough to get you started.

The problem with roadguide.ph, though, is that they only offer a demo map for non-contributors. But the map is old, and showed some serious flaws. For example, the map didn't even show the flyover from EDSA to the Airport Road, so I ended up looking like I was flying over the streets on the Garmin's screen when I used it. Yes, it is THAT old.

You can get the latest, updated map by becoming a content contributor for the map, but the whole process of contributing data is a bit too complicated, and would suit only those people who are even much nerdier than I am (the thought of which scares me). It wasn't even worth trying.

OSM Philippines also offers free maps for Garmin units, and they update it around once a month. From a aesthetic point of view, OSM's maps are not as good looking as that of Roadguide.ph. The colors, images, animations, etc. are just not as good. But from a functionality point of view, it is good enough to use, and it is UPDATED, meaning all the roads or flyovers that need to be there are, indeed, there. And everytime it is updated every month, it just keeps getting better.

In terms of "Points Of Interests" (i.e., landmarks, places, attractions, etc.), I read that the contributor map from Roadguide.ph has a lot more points of interest. However, OSM's maps again do have enough POIs to be quite functional. As a result, I have been using OSM Philippines' maps exclusively, and just try to update it as often as possible.

If you are going to use OSM's map, I suggest you give a little donation also to them to keep them going, and as a way of giving thanks for giving us a free, functional map for use in the Philippines (and not a crappy one).

Here are the links to the websites:

- Roadguide.ph (you need to register to access the forum where the downloads are available): http://roadguide.ph/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

- OSM Philippines, direct download to the free map: http://bit.ly/gkrqQw

- OSM Philippines, main website: http://esambale.wikispaces.com/osmphil_garmin

'Transferring Maps'
    First, you need to download the maps from any of the two sites mentioned above on your PC. It usually comes under the filename, "gmapsupp.img".

After downloading the map, you now need to connect your Garmin device to your PC using the USB cable that came along with it when you bought it. Once connected, the Garmin device will show up like a USB drive, where most if not all of the files and folders of the unit visible.

The next to thing to do, is to locate the directory where the file "gmapsupp.img". Once you locate the file, you might want to copy and save that somewhere in your PC as a backup, in case some problems will occur.

Now what you need to do, is to overwrite the file in your device with the one from the website. They have the same file names, so just overwrite the file on your device.

Once done, disconnect from the computer, and if everything goes well (hopefully), you should have a working Philippine map on your Garmin device.

'Contributing Waypoints'
    Once you start using your Garmin device, you definitely will be storing Points of Interests, or Waypoints on it that are not be on the current map. I've had a couple of my own, and I was looking for a way to contribute them to OSM Philippines so the map could be updated.

Well, I just discovered that you can do so by accessing the link below, it shows a form that you can fill up and send to them for possible inclusion in the next update of their map:
    - http://www.waypoints.ph/contribwptv2.php

I haven't tried it yet, but it seems you may have a problem inputting the "Altitude" section of the form since I don't remember that information to be accessible on the device. At any rate, if you figure it out, I suggest you participate and submit as much waypoints as possible, so a working, accurate, updated and FREE Philippine map will be available for everyone to use.

(Next: Hacking your Garmin device)

2. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    very informative writeup! thanks for sharing this

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    *sir rhk111

maganda po tong option na binigay nyo po na OSM map. maganda to masubukan kc hindi po ako kuntento sa Garmin mobile XT na gamit ko po ngayon that comes free with my HU.

sir tanong lang po ako kung itong OSM map pwede ko po ba magamit sa china HU ko with GPS (Lightning Lab). tapos yung pagcopy po ba nya copy paste lang po ba from my PC to an SD card? tapos pasok ko na po yung SD card ko sa HU ko? sori ha hindi po kc ako techie pagdating sa gadgets e... hehe.

yung HU ko po ngayon is using Garmin mobile XT po.

lastly, kung dalawa na po yung SD card ko yung isa ay OSM at yung isa naman po ay sa Garmin, magagamit ko po ba yung dalawang SD na palitan? plug and play lang po ba?

salamat po.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    How to get the waypoints from Garmin GPS? I saved a lot of points of interest and locations to my Garmin gps unit and I would like to contribute, but I don't know how to retrieve the coordinates (?). Can someone help? Thanks.. btw, area visited was southern part of Palawan (Puerto Princesa to Rio Tuba)

5. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    *balto, sorry for the late response, but as for your question whether your China HU that uses a Garmin Mobile XT can use the OSM Philippines map ... maybe. This is because the OSM Philippines website says GPS-enabled phones using the Garmin Mobile XT can use it. See the webpage again, under the section, "List of Working Devices": http://esambale.wikispaces.com/osmphil_garmin

Pero mukhang ikaw ang mag e eksperimento niyan, kasi ala ibang nakagawa na before na nag poste rito. I suggest magpatulong ka duon sa binilhan mo ng unit, baka kaya nila kung medyo nag alangan kang mag eksperimento. Tsaka mas safe siguro iyon, baka magka problema ang software mo.

Benta mo na lang, bili ka ng Garmin para sigurado. :D

*Bruks_pt, I think you can get each individual waypoint on your Garmin device somewhere. I can't walk you thru, though, as I'm currently working abroad and don't have the actual unit with me. You can try fiddling around the device, I do remember finding it somewhere before ...

Or you can try using "Mapsource" to get the waypoints. Its not easy to install and use, though, so if you haven't used it before, its going to be a long, bloody process to install and learn how to use it ...

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    the OSM map is written/constructed for Garmin software. But you can not use both RoadGuide.ph map and OSMPH map on the same SD card as both should bear the same filename.

You can copy/back-up your SD card with Garmin XT software and put in one the roadguide.ph map and the OSM map on the other one. It can then be plug n play sa HU mo.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rhk111 View Post
    *Bruks_pt, I think you can get each individual waypoint on your Garmin device somewhere. I can't walk you thru, though, as I'm currently working abroad and don't have the actual unit with me. You can try fiddling around the device, I do remember finding it somewhere before ...

Or you can try using "Mapsource" to get the waypoints. Its not easy to install and use, though, so if you haven't used it before, its going to be a long, bloody process to install and learn how to use it ...
    Salamat.. Am also working abroad. Will try again when I go home in June. Thanks again.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    *rhk111 at clarkent

ayos na po HU ko. i just experimented last month. 2 SD nga ang kopya ko ngayon. roadguide at OSM.... mas detailed yung OSM map lalo na dito sa lugar namin. di ko lang alam pano mag edit ng map dito sa lugar namin. dami na kc nabago.

salamat po mga boss.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Pang nerd nga yung sa roadguide. Ayaw ngang mamigay ng mapa. Nagtry akong magcontribute kaso di ko talaga magets. Buti na lang may namigay naka **********. Pero di na rin updated. Pa pm naman ule ng bagong mapa.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Alin kaya mas complete, yung sa OSM or contributor's map ng roadguide?

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast