New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 42 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifan View Post
    this could happen if your gps route preference is set to "shorter distance" and not "faster time". Faster time settings will lead you to major highways like Star. But if you really have wanted to drive through Star, you could have done so and your gps would have recalculated a new route for you.
    He may also have a tick on "Toll Roads" in the Avoidance Setup.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I just want to ask this, if i download the philippine map from roadguide.ph, can I save it in my sd card and use it on my carsthetics gps-capable headunit? And where can I buy an external gps antenna here in metro manila? Need your feedbacks please.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by numbah5 View Post
    I just want to ask this, if i download the philippine map from roadguide.ph, can I save it in my sd card and use it on my carsthetics gps-capable headunit? And where can I buy an external gps antenna here in metro manila? Need your feedbacks please.
    Didn't it come with a Philippine map? I've browsed their website and it seems they have a Philippine map for both HU models (single and 2xDIN).

The roadguide.ph map was made for Garmin GPS devices and applications - like Garmin Mobile XT software for PDAs/smartphones. If your HU's navigation maps are downright compatible with Garmin's, then it should work ... but IMHO it probably isn't.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    ^ I'm pretty sure that carsthetics doesn't work with the Garmin Philippine map available on roadguide.ph. Based on the youtube video demo, it runs a NAV software that was probably developed or co-developed with Agis (the maker of NAVFone). I have NAVFone on my i780 and the interface and map looks exactly the same.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtugfUokClY"]YouTube - GPS Carsthetics Audio_CAR entertainment system WITH GPS!!!(demo reel)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFPxQF6Zyr4"]YouTube - Agis NAVFone[/ame]

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Called up carsthetics kanina. Kaya pala wala pang GPS map yung HU ko is because I have to buy the SD Card with the Philippine map in it at their office in Granada St. (Gilmore Ext.). Sabi din nila sa akin that they update their map every six months.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    I see ... both applications do look strikingly similar. The carsthetics video for map selection showed only Manila, Cebu and Davao. Does Agis NAVFone have a similar map coverage for the country?

There might be a way for people with similar devices (with no Phil. map), to use the roadguide.ph map ... but it may not be feasible nor worth the effort for them.

The carsthetics HU, and a lot of generic GPS-enabled HU's flooding the market today actually run on WinCE. Even branded portables satnav's are. Ever wondered why portable satnav's are shaped like PDA's? Because they actually are.

They use a stripped-down version of WinCE, without the unnecessary drivers, applications and files - and made to run the navigation application straight away after booting up. The thing to do is to stop that process, load the missing files, and you'll end up having a regular WinCE PDA ... then you can load your choice of navigation software.

"Unlocking" WinCE is of course, very device-specific. On my Navman, it required a lot of registry editing, google'ing for needed files, and reading very lengthy sets of instructions ... and more google'ing

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Sorry, what I meant was the carsthetics might be like a lot of generic GPS-enabled HU's flooding the market today that actually run on WinCE.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by testament11 View Post
    i used my gps all the way to nasugbu batangas. may napansin lang akong flaw dito. instead na direstuhin namin ang startoll, it always recommend an alternate route. since hindi pa namin alam pumunta ng nasugbu (acutally the original route was lemery), so sunod lang ako sa gps. so ayun, to my surprise, ang route namin is parallel sa startoll! so in that case, dapat nag startoll kami all the way to lipa at hindi kami dumaan sa looban. yun lang napansin ko
    Sir,

Yung map mo meron Star Tollway? The GPS software is programmed by humans and possible some errors are present. Don't rely too much in the directions given because it may not be accurate anymore because of updates. Updates on maps may not actually drill down to updates in the algorithm used by the program.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by zhardan View Post
    Sir,

Yung map mo meron Star Tollway? The GPS software is programmed by humans and possible some errors are present. Don't rely too much in the directions given because it may not be accurate anymore because of updates. Updates on maps may not actually drill down to updates in the algorithm used by the program.
    As long as the map in the GPS device is updated, you will be surprised how much detail you can get from the GPS device about the road networks and the places of interests listed inside.

As for relying on it, I would rather have a GPS that is 90% accurate than being 100% lost in a place you haven't been to before.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    For tsikoteers in Europe, may libreng satnav software ...

You can download and use the full version of Navigon MobileNavigator 7 for free on a 30-day trial run.

http://www.navigon.com/site/uk/en/pr...igon-website-1

- It works on mobile devices that run on Symbian S60 3rd or Windows Mobile.
    - It has detailed maps for the whole of Europe including Russia.
    - It supports TTS (Text-To-Speech) for spoken street names.
    - Reality View for highway junction signs and lane infos.
    - It has 3D landmarks and buildings.
    - Speed warnings based on the type of road.
    - TMC (Traffic Message Channel) support for hardware-equipped devices.

The website lists only a few compatible devices with built-in GPS receivers, but I'm sure it'll work on more ... I've got 5 different external GPS receivers and it worked on all of them.

* If you don't have data subscription, better be within WiFi range whenever you start the app ... because it connects to the Navigon server for verification whenever you start on trial mode. No data connection is needed though when the app is already running.