New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cityfolk View Post
    I like the Garmin Nuvi 50. OK din kasi yung map na Garmin City Navigator Philippines 2014.40. Ayos na ayos yung junction view niya lalo na within Metro Manila. Hanap-hanap ka lang sa internetz meron kang mada-download.
    So di na magiging concern na may map updates ang Garmin lagi? Medyo alam ko kasi na may available maps online pero the most recent ones will only be accessible to contributors. AVT kasi up to date lagi and available to anyone with a unit.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    So di na magiging concern na may map updates ang Garmin lagi? Medyo alam ko kasi na may available maps online pero the most recent ones will only be accessible to contributors. AVT kasi up to date lagi and available to anyone with a unit.
    There are three sources of PH maps for Garmin:

- The one you're referring to is Roadguide maps where only contributors get the latest map. The latest one that's been freely shared is v2.29. This version is already out-of-date and I don't recommend you using it.

- There's the official Garmin PH maps which you can find if you go to other GPS oriented forums. Since you're talking about the Nuvi 50 you'll get the junction view as well which is very useful in the city. It's already quite good within Metro Manila but it's a bit lacking when you go out of town. The latest version is City Navigator Philippines 2014.40.

- You can also use the free OSM maps which is refreshed weekly. Metro Manila road coverage is good but it's lacking in POI (points of interest). Road coverage outside of Metro Manila is better than the official Garmin map.

I don't know how good the official AVT maps are but between the official Garmin and the OSM map you've got good coverage. With the Nuvi 50 using both the internal memory and a micro sd card you can load all three maps simultaneous and just select from the setup options which one you want active. Since Garmin user base is large there are a lot of tips and tricks available. Just go to a gps oriented forum and read up on them.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Thanks! I'll educate myself first before deciding

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12