New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    *impulzz ... thanks

*always_yummy ... yup, no resistors needed, and you may connect the diode anywhere most convenient as long as it is consistent with the circuit (on the relay side or on the socket side, take your pick) ... the 1N4007 is recommended as it has higher reverse breakdown voltage rating than the usual 1N4001 used by hobbyists (1000V against 60V) yet they cost the same ... note that although our cars have 12V system, voltage transients can reach as high as 80-100 volts.

*prodigi ... the diode orientation is correct as shown (cathode on the hi-trigger ... on a diode, cathode is the side with white mark), it allows the low-beam relay to enegize when the high-beam relay is also energized as the triggers are negatively switched, while only the low-beam relay is enegized when trigger switch is at low position ... when the diode is reversed, there is no danger of fire, but the switching action will be reversed, i.e., both high-beam and low-beam are lit during low-beam postion, and only high-beam is lit during high-beam position

let me clarify what i undestood from impulzz's modification to his car ... his car originally uses the dual-filament headlamp bulb (was it H4?) ... and the original switching is that only one filament is lit at anytime headlights are triggered, only low-beam when low-triggered, or only high-beam when high-triggered ... but when he replaced the head lamps into two-bulb configuration, he wanted the low beam to remain lit during high-trigger ... and so he used relays to achieve the switching action. Although high-powered diodes without relays would achieve the same switching action, the diodes would introduce voltage drops and could significantly reduce power for the lamps, hence relays are best for the application.

now i believe abort_retry's suggestion would also work ... in fact if one could access the original headlamp relays' circuit way inside the car (sometimes they are under the electrical assembly at the engine bay), a single 1N4007 diode would do the trick without additional relays

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005

i have no degree on electronics or something but i am reading through discussions of quadlamp conversion and it works with just a single piece of relay.... not sure though if my diagram will work.....

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yes abort_retry, your diagram will work as far as switching action is concerned but not advisable to install because it will now force the wire/s for high-beam to carry the low-beam current as well and might overload it, especially now that manufacturers tend to use wires that are "just enough" for the original design ... doubling the current on the wire might be pushing your luck if a fuse refuses to bust

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    if you use the same wattage as before.... i think it should be ok... what really is important is that the positive polarity wiring is as thick as possible..... the negative wiring is i think less important that the positive side. or i might be wrong though kasi this time you are lighting up two bulbs.....

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    or this..... wherein you have to re-wire the low beam bulb....

will look on this too..time to review what i learned in my last 3 electronic subjects...

masama talaga ang sobrang current...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    normal po ba na umiinit yung relay?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    could this Bosch Relay be used in dual fans?

and what number is for battery source, (+)(-)switch, ground, and power out?
    85=?
    86=?
    87=?
    30=?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    guys, buhayin ko lang ito. nagpalit na ako ng harness matagal na. gusto ko gawing naka on ang low pag nag high ako.

kailangan pa ba talaga ng additional relay? para 3 na relays na?

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    peepz.

how long would it take kaya para gawin to?

any reputable shops in banawe that can do this?

TIA

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
low/high beam wiring