New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by joaquim View Post
    Same observation with Sir LN106. Maganda ang LED sa city and in dark roads pero pag may kasalubong na halos hindi ko na makita kalsada

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

And in the real world, LED’s/HID’s rated at 6000kelvin or higher are very nice to use during dry season in concrete highways but it is pretty useless in wet asphalted roads and when driving in thick fog..

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LN106G View Post
    And in the real world, LED’s/HID’s rated at 6000kelvin or higher are very nice to use during dry season in concrete highways but it is pretty useless in wet asphalted roads and when driving in thick fog..
    Have driven my factory LED headlamps in the foggy and rainy roads of Sagada and they were very useful.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Have driven my factory LED headlamps in the foggy and rainy roads of Sagada and they were very useful.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This i respectfully dont agree with this. The superwhite LED headlights are less useful in thick fog. I live in the highlands. The yellow foglights have far better illumination in a rainy night with thick fog. Driven Halsema and other highland roads in inclement weather too...
    The difference probably is that you are younger & still with sharper vision...
    ��

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The best compromise for all weather is still 4300K. Otherwise known as “stock” color.

But i don’t want stock LED vs Halogen vs HID in Headlights with Reflectors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LN106G View Post
    This i respectfully dont agree with this. The superwhite LED headlights are less useful in thick fog. I live in the highlands. The yellow foglights have far better illumination in a rainy night with thick fog. Driven Halsema and other highland roads in inclement weather too...
    The difference probably is that you are younger & still with sharper vision...
    ��
    Warm light evaporates mist in the air much better than an LED

When light travel from one medium to another (air to water to air to water) light will refract (similar to a prism). Direction of light will bend everytime it travel to a different medium of different density. As light travel further from the source it gets scattered and not focused which makes driving dangerous

Sent from my SM-G532G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kisshmet; January 14th, 2019 at 07:46 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Here's the roadtest video of the H4 LED in my reflector headlight. Hopefully no glare to others. Still observing, but so far, the beam pattern seems to be the same with the stock halogen.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Installed a pair of Novsight N60 H4 LEDs on my 2016 Innova. The out-of-the-box beam was a tad bit horrendous. The right part of the beam was too high and I was lighting up electrical poles and glaring into the eyes of pedestrians.

Stock photo of the H4 N60

Anyway, I did a small mod using aluminum tape to extend the low-beam "hood" by about 1.5 mm and it fixed the cut-off on both sides of the beam while drastically reduced over-spill. I did a burin-in test for 1 hour last night (temperature test) and then drove the vehicle around the block (vibration test) to see if the aluminum will hold. It does seem so but only time will tell. If it doesn't hold, I still have a few other ideas, like using a piece of tin from a soda can and make some sort of retention clip to keep it in place. But this should do for now.

The BEFORE, pre-mod beamshots: Left: OEM halogen, Right: LED

I forgot to take the AFTER-mod beamshots but I will, as soon as I can get things setup again in the garage.

The thing with sellers of LED headlight bulbs is that, they seldom post beamshots of their project vehicles against a flat surface. To me, that is a better representation of how the LED performs on a specific vehicle. Instead, they only post head-on shots, which is useless and is mostly only for aesthetic purposes. I just hope they put more science into it. That said, I think H4 LED bulbs should come with fully adjustable hoods to make them more adaptable to different headlamp optics.

Needless to say, this is an active project and I understand that it may or may not work out. I can always switch back to halogen, if necessary. I've kept the OEM cut-off height which I derived from the halogen bulbs and so the LEDs are aimed at where the OEM bulbs should be, if not close enough.
    Last edited by oj88; June 5th, 2023 at 12:27 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    ...cont'd.

Here's the AFTER, dipped beamshot from about 3 car-lengths away. Significantly better than without the mod. This is the extent I can achieve from the reflector-type headlight. I didn't bother taking a beamshot of the high-beam as they are working as they should and is not relevant to what I was trying to achieve.

Though, it appears I may have been too conservative and under-cut the aluminum tape a bit on the driver-side LED. This then caused an abrupt transition where the hotspot is. I may tweak this in the future. But for now, I am totally satisfied and sold on this upgrade.
    Last edited by oj88; June 7th, 2023 at 08:30 AM.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Installed a pair of Novsight N60 H4 LEDs on my 2016 Innova. The out-of-the-box beam was a tad bit horrendous. The right part of the beam was too high and I was lighting up electrical poles and glaring into the eyes of pedestrians.

Stock photo of the H4 N60

Anyway, I did a small mod using aluminum tape to extend the low-beam "hood" by about 1.5 mm and it fixed the cut-off on both sides of the beam while drastically reduced over-spill. I did a burin-in test for 1 hour last night (temperature test) and then drove the vehicle around the block (vibration test) to see if the aluminum will hold. It does seem so but only time will tell. If it doesn't hold, I still have a few other ideas, like using a piece of tin from a soda can and make some sort of retention clip to keep it in place. But this should do for now.

The BEFORE, pre-mod beamshots: Left: OEM halogen, Right: LED

I forgot to take the AFTER-mod beamshots but I will, as soon as I can get things setup again in the garage.

The thing with sellers of LED headlight bulbs is that, they seldom post beamshots of their project vehicles against a flat surface. To me, that is a better representation of how the LED performs on a specific vehicle. Instead, they only post head-on shots, which is useless and is mostly only for aesthetic purposes. I just hope they put more science into it. That said, I think H4 LED bulbs should come with fully adjustable hoods to make them more adaptable to different headlamp optics.

Needless to say, this is an active project and I understand that it may or may not work out. I can always switch back to halogen, if necessary. I've kept the OEM cut-off height which I derived from the halogen bulbs and so the LEDs are aimed at where the OEM bulbs should be, if not close enough.
    So hindi basta salpak lang h4 ng novsight? Need pa talaga adjustment? I was considering novsight h4 led too. Somebody mentioned na halos lahat ng naka salubung nyang reflector na naka LED eh nakaka silaw. Siguro hindi nila inaayos yung beam like you did. Basta nag lagay lang. I just opted for night breaker unlimited para salpak lang.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BratPAQ View Post
    So hindi basta salpak lang h4 ng novsight? Need pa talaga adjustment? I was considering novsight h4 led too. Somebody mentioned na halos lahat ng naka salubung nyang reflector na naka LED eh nakaka silaw. Siguro hindi nila inaayos yung beam like you did. Basta nag lagay lang. I just opted for night breaker unlimited para salpak lang.
    Let's put it this way. Reflector-type optics are not forgiving when it comes to filament/LED alignment. The light needs to hit every part of the reflector at exactly the correct angle so the beam goes to where it needs to be, and not where it shouldn't.

Maybe it's plug-and-play on other vehicles but that is not the case on my Innova. It's practically unusable in its original state. Walang exaggeration pero pwede na akong inspector ng transformers ng Meralco sa gabi. haha

Kaya beamshots against a wall talaga, at the very least, should be used as a partial gauge on how the headlamps perform as a system (bulb + optics). It's still best to have it professionally aligned (which I am considering), but it's not at all bad to DIY, as long as you know what you're doing. There are many resources online on how to do it properly.

Maraming nagbebenta ng LED bulbs online pero madalas pinapakita head-on shots lang. Ano kaya use nun? Kung gaano ka-silaw yung kasalubong mo? lol

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast