New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    http://business.inquirer.net/money/b...ver-act-of-God

Most car insurance do not cover ‘act of God

MANILA, Philippines -- Amid the damage caused by floodwaters to hundreds -- maybe thousands -- of vehicles by typhoon “Ondoy” (international codename: Ketsana), auto insurance
    firms are bracing for a deluge of claims from policyholders over the next few days.

Yet, vehicle owners who think that a “comprehensive” automobile insurance policy would insulate them from further financial losses may be in for a nasty surprise.

According to officials of insurance firms, only the claims of policyholders who availed of additional coverage against “acts of God” or “acts of “nature” can expect to be reimbursed for the repair or replacement of their cars.

Emmanuel Que, executive vice president of the Philippine Charter Insurance Corp., said many clients did not avail of insurance coverage for "acts of God" or nature.

“Normally, if you have coverage for acts of God, [repair for] flood damage would be covered,” Que said. “Unfortunately, this is not something clients normally avail of.”

He explained that, in most cases, people who availed of automobile insurance paid only for policies that covered normal vehicular accidents, “own damage” or theft.

“Those are the more popular ones,” he said, adding that few vehicle owners even considered so-called policy “riders” for acts of God because of the sheer rarity of these incidents.

“With ‘acts of God’ policies, a car owner will be protected against damage caused by typhoons (which includes flooding), earthquakes or anything induced by nature like a falling billboard or a falling coconut,” Que said.

But the insurance cover does not come cheap, averaging about 0.7 percent of the vehicle’s insured value per year.

For a P1-million car, this would translate to an additional P7,000 in insurance costs, on top of the P28,000 comprehensive annual premium for brand new units.

As early as Monday morning, auto insurers have already been getting calls from clients indicating the impending filing of insurance claims.

“Right now, we’re getting a lot of notices of loss,” said UCPB General Insurance Co. Inc. claims head Francis Nob in a telephone interview. “What [clients] are saying right now is that they intend to file a claim.”

“What will happen next is that our assessors will check our records if they have policies that cover flood damage,” he added.

He pointed out that policyholders who bought additional coverage for “acts of God” can expect immediate action, but those without this may be in for more heartache.

“If they have none, we will politely tell them,” Nob said, acknowledging the difficulty of breaking bad financial news to clients who may have lost all their belongings in the flood.

Even as he noted that few clients have actually availed of acts of God policies, he said his firm has already notified auto dealerships and accredited repair shops to expect a flood of clients to have their vehicles repaired.

Even those who had enough foresight to avail of “acts of God” coverage, however, will have to make do with a repaired vehicle instead of expecting insurers to replace their cars with new ones.

“The liability of the insurer is to restore unit to its condition prior to damage,” Nob said. “The insurance firm has the right to restore it.”

Echoing this position, Philippine Charter Insurance’s Que said repairs on flood-damaged vehicles would normally revolve around replacing damaged interiors and restoring electrical systems -- repairs that could cost insurers about P50,000 per vehicle.

“If the car’s computer box has been damaged, that would cost maybe an additional P50,000,” he said. “The important thing is that one should not try to start the [flood-damaged] vehicle. As long as you don’t try to start it, it can be repaired.”

UCPB’s Nob does not expect a sharp increase in claims payouts for auto insurance policies.

He noted, however, that insurance firms may have to adjust their rates henceforth, now that the “unlikely” event of massive flood damage around Metro Manila has become a reality.

“We may see higher premiums in the future,” he said. “This event means a lot to the industry as a learning experience.”

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by loidch View Post
    hi peeps,
    i have seen all sorts of newer model cars and also pickup trucks w/c still has to get a license plate go under the water along Banaue St. this morning.
    i have been musing on those insurance policies on my free time, and specifically remember that "force mejure" or acts of god does not cover those machines.

to the underwriters,
    if i may ask......
    1) is there an AOG premium now?
    2) when was this introduced, and how many knows about this?
    3) how much does it cost to make us covered?
    3) what are the criterions so that it falls within the coverage?

example....will my car stilll be covered in a hotel fire, or if it drowns underneath the building in case of water intrusion?
    To answer you the best of my knowledge:

1/3) Yes! AOG has a premium related to the value of your vehicle. If your car is under a 'PC - Private Car' Category for which sedans and alike has a .5% rate. i.e. 2009 Toyota Corolla Altis J 8000,000 * .5% = 4,000.00. For 'CV - Commercial Vehicle' rate applied is 1%. i.e 2009 Mitsubishi Adventure 820,000 * 1% = 8,200.00.

The said amount will be added onto your original comprehensive insurance + corresponding taxes computed from AOG.

2) This was included from the very first introduction of CAR INSURANCE.
    4) Not all are covered or I may say be covered. The underwriter will check first the postal/given address of the unit owner. If the underwriter finds the location is too risky, they will not advise the insurer to include this coverage.

HTH.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    * autokraft and huer77
    thanks for shedding some light on the issue.

well i guess many policy holders will now be asking about this AOG clause after what happened this weekend. too bad for somebody close to me whos innova and captiva went under.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    i guess hindi na magiging free yang AOG clause after this.. baka itaas pa nila premium nyan.. last 2 years.. nakuha ko lang as free add on yang AOG eh..

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by _Qwerty_ View Post
    i guess hindi na magiging free yang AOG clause after this.. baka itaas pa nila premium nyan.. last 2 years.. nakuha ko lang as free add on yang AOG eh..

Lucky are those who has this coverage on the car insurance. BPI/MS bancassurance now are flooded with claims.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by heuer77 View Post
    To answer you the best of my knowledge:

1/3) Yes! AOG has a premium related to the value of your vehicle. If your car is under a 'PC - Private Car' Category for which sedans and alike has a .5% rate. i.e. 2009 Toyota Corolla Altis J 8000,000 * .5% = 4,000.00. For 'CV - Commercial Vehicle' rate applied is 1%. i.e 2009 Mitsubishi Adventure 820,000 * 1% = 8,200.00.

The said amount will be added onto your original comprehensive insurance + corresponding taxes computed from AOG.

2) This was included from the very first introduction of CAR INSURANCE.
    4) Not all are covered or I may say be covered. The underwriter will check first the postal/given address of the unit owner. If the underwriter finds the location is too risky, they will not advise the insurer to include this coverage.

HTH.
    Addenddum to No. 1.) No. Some insurance companies as 'a come on' to the customers, they included this coverage for FREE. But the truth is, they charged you higher for the OD/TH (PC policies average rate is around 2.3 of your TSI and CV policies average rate is 1.5).

Addendum to No. 2.) Your agent should tell you about this additional coverage aside from the REGULAR COMPREHESIVE COVERAGE. Normally, they do not bother to include this as this will entail you cost (that you tend to turn down coz this will only balloon your premium). Though, these agent will get a 25% commission hehehehe.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by heuer77 View Post
    Lucky are those who has this coverage on the car insurance. BPI/MS bancassurance now are flooded with claims.

nah! hinde naman nila papalitan yun car eh, they will just repair it...

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    nah! hinde naman nila papalitan yun car eh, they will just repair it...
    rather than paying the shop all by yourself. right?

papalitan ang car mo kung CARNAP/THEFT siya. cash (depreciated) or same condition ng sasakyan ang kabayaran.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
force mejure or AOG claims?