New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    had a slight accident yesterday and i had the damage estimated and forwarded all the documents for the insurance claim. however, looking at the estimate given to my by the dealership, i noticed that the estimate far exceeds the damage. i checked the damages personally this morning and i noticed that 50% of the cost could be avoided. for example, the dealership wanted to replace the radiator, aircon compressor and aircon condenser. i took a look at it this morning and saw that all of those components were not at all damaged or event touched by the impact.

i know that despite it being overestimated, i would still be paying the same amount of participation fee. i was just wandering if this would have an effect on the price of my renewal of the insurance or other things.

the adjuster would be inspecting the car tomorrow so i'm thinking whether to point out the unneeded repairs or just stick to the estimate given by the dealership.

thanks

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The dealership makes money on parts replaced, even if you, personally, aren't paying for them.

No problem for you, as local insurance doesn't change premiums if you have an accident... but it'll take longer, and it's sort of dishonest. You can ask your insurance and the dealer if the repairs are really needed, as extra work will keep your car off the road for longer.

Who knows? The radiator may look fine... but if it's deformed, even slightly, it may mean problems for you down to road.
    Last edited by niky; November 20th, 2009 at 12:07 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    To say that it is a dishonest estimate would be unfair to the service
    advisor. He or she is an engineer tasked by his company to make
    sure that their car brand complies to set minimum safety standards first,
    minimum comfort standards second.

He is trying to comply with minimum standards only.
    It will be very different if he will restore it to mint condition and certified.

Strikes and collisions are taken seriously. If you think that he is
    not qualified to make this assesment, maybe you should take it to
    another repair facility who will not require replacement of these parts.

Its not the money to be made on parts I assure you.

There is more to it.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    [SIZE=2]Well… I visit your website first time and found this site very useful and interesting

Cynthia Kurtz
    [/SIZE]
    attorney advertising

Cons of Over estimation in insurance claims