New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sa korea, lahat ng taxi e LPG. Pero wala namang amoy except yung amoy ng garlic at kimchi . Madami ding private cars na lpg powered mas mura kasi ito dahil sa tax incentives, pero walang noticeable na amoy. Siguro hindi kasi well maintained yung mga taxi na iyan at hindi maganda ang conversion from gas to lpg kaya umaamoy.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by totoybato View Post
    sa korea, lahat ng taxi e LPG. Pero wala namang amoy except yung amoy ng garlic at kimchi . Madami ding private cars na lpg powered mas mura kasi ito dahil sa tax incentives, pero walang noticeable na amoy. Siguro hindi kasi well maintained yung mga taxi na iyan at hindi maganda ang conversion from gas to lpg kaya umaamoy.
    The reason why auto-LPG has no smell in other countries is because LPG for automotive use do not have the "bad scent" additive that is used for household LPG.

Locally, all our LPG supplied for cooking or automotive use has the "bad-smell" additive.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    yup, i made same observation too. mabaho sa loob ng taxi.
    Often times, there is an air leak between the engine bay and passenger cabin which results in the bad smell inside.

one thing i observed with LPG is the price difference between dealers. it costs P23/l in manila while in davao, some sell it at P27/l while others as high as 31/l.
    current price for auto-LPG in Manila is around P25/L.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Meron ngang lumalabas na smell, even in well tuned SGI systems. I think that the odorant in LPG smells even worse when burned in the engine.

Honestly though, mabaho rin talaga ang gasoline and diesel emissions. Sanay nga lang tayo.

If we came from the bundoks and we got to smell gasoline powered cars, sobrang mababahuan rin tayo, its just that it has become a daily thing for us kaya we are used to it. Ang LPG hindi pa tayo ganun kasanay.

Maybe the LPG companies should change the odorant they inclusde with autolpg...they should make it "tuttifruity" parang yung mga 2T oils, hehehe

5. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    The problem is not in the installers but more from the taxi cab operators themselves. I often find the clear fuel gauge cover not beig used. This cover helps to vent out any leaking LPG to the outside of the vehicle where it can safely disperse. Without this cover, the LPG will initially concentrate in the trunk then slowly seep into the passenger cabin.

At NAIADSS, when you refuel there, they often check the vehicles for any leaks in the system. I appreciate the service (free!) and it should be done at all the other places where they fill up LPG powered cars.
    The problem is that the clear cover for the fuel gauge on the tank is supposed to be airtight. Any leaks in the system would be vented out into the bottom of the car.

The problem is that taxt drivers keep removing this clear cover everytime they refill, wearing off the airtight seal... Although the idea of checking for leaks on every refuelling sounds great, it will require the removal of the clear cover again (and again) thus promoting the wear of the air tight seal.

Wearing off the airtight seal makes it dangerous for the gas to leak into the cabin during a leak. Also opening the trunk while refuelling also promotes the entry of the extra LPG into the truck and later to the cabin. Before the LPG refuellers remove the fuel line, the fuel line gives off a strong burst of extra LPG into the environment. This LPG can find its way into the trunk or cabin when you open the trunk while refuelling. Kaya double jeopardy yung practice ng mga taxi drivers.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fearless View Post
    may ganyan na nasakyan yung kapatid ko at asawa niya,nagtaka sila nang biglang sa gitna ng byahe nila tumigil yung taxi at tumabi,sabi nung driver nahihilo daw siya at hindi na raw sila maihahatid sa destinasyon nila,nagalit pa nga yung kapatid ko kasi akala umaarte lang,kaso nung hinamatay yung driver, sila pa tuloy ang naghatid sa ospital,nalaman pala nila sa doktor na maghapon nagmamaneho yung driver at may leak yung LPG connection kaya sa sobrang exposure, nahilo na eto at hinimatay eto.
    kaya ingat kayo, sabi tuloy ng kapatid ko malaki nga ang natitipid, nila pero delikado at dapat may pang gamot ka na pag tagal tagal, sa sakit na makukuha mo dito.

Ive had many patients collapsing not due to LPG inhalation... Many of them just work so hard they forget to eat right and start suffering from hypokalema (lack Potassium in blood). So although it sounds like an LPG issue, it could be a little bit more than that.

In case of suspected leaks entering into the cabin. I think it is better to open the window and drive without airconditioning.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by webmiester View Post
    Also opening the trunk while refuelling also promotes the entry of the extra LPG into the truck and later to the cabin. Before the LPG refuellers remove the fuel line, the fuel line gives off a strong burst of extra LPG into the environment. This LPG can find its way into the trunk or cabin when you open the trunk while refuelling. Kaya double jeopardy yung practice ng mga taxi drivers.

Sorry to burst this theory but I also have a bad habit of having my car's trunk open when I refill on LPG (I want to see the gauge). Although there is the usual puff of LPG when the refilling hose is removed, my car's cabin never smelled of LPG except the time I left my gauge cover off for a couple of week.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by webmiester View Post
    Meron ngang lumalabas na smell, even in well tuned SGI systems. I think that the odorant in LPG smells even worse when burned in the engine.
    If this was true, then your kitchen should smell like LPG every time you cook something there since the supply of cooking LPG and auto-LPG is the same. But since it is not the case, exhaust from the tail-pipe smells less than unburned LPG. It might seems worst simply because of two possibilities.

1. You placed your nose directly in the "firing line" of the tail-pipe.
    2. hot exhaust gases might be a bit more reactive simply because they are "warmer".

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    The reason why auto-LPG has no smell in other countries is because LPG for automotive use do not have the "bad scent" additive that is used for household LPG.

Locally, all our LPG supplied for cooking or automotive use has the "bad-smell" additive.
    somebody told me the reason they put bad odor additives on LPG ,
    is for leak purposes just to determine easily
    can you clarify on this LPG gurus ?
    Last edited by BoEinG_747; October 28th, 2007 at 05:02 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BoEinG_747 View Post
    somebody told me the reason they put bad odor additives on LPG ,
    is for leak purposes just to determine easily
    can you clarify on this LPG gurus ?
    LPG itself has no scent/smell. A bad smelling chemical is added to help detect if there is any leaks in the LPG tank. This is the norm for LPG for cooking purposes. Since the LPG supply for automotive use is the same, the cars using LPG gets a bum rap of smelling bad.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Usok ng LPG TAXI mabaho?