New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    install a boost guage, that way you will know if the turbo is boosting or not.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    *ARB - how much does a boost guage usually cost? Would you recommend installing one for stock setups or its more for those who do or did modifications? =)

3. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BeetOls
    Sir, kung minsan talaga hardly felt ang pag kick in the turbo...but you'll know your turbo has had it when your rig starts pulling like a gutless pig. =) some mechanic even told me that you can really feel it kapag hirap na ang engine mo (just don't know to which extent)

too much white smoke can also be a culprit...

if you really want to see it...just remove the air hose from your intake...you should see your turbo/impeller at work and spinning really fast.
    tama. medyo mahirap pigilan ang sasakyan na may turbo lalo kapag sumisipa na yung turbo. it takes time pero grabe talaga.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for the replies BeetOls and ARB. I drove above 2000 rpm a while ago and still there's no kick. Maybe the turbo isn't working..Is it the diesel fuel I'm using?

Here's the complete story. I always used regular diesel before and as I remembered the kick was there, even at 40kph only. But because of the rising price of diesel fuel, I chose to use 1% premixed biodiesel it is a peso or more cheaper than regular diesel. Since then I have not felt the turbo. I don't know if it has more power or an increase in mileage. And also want to ask if it's OK to shut the diesel engine without reving up just like in gasoline engines?

Need your opinion on this. Thanks again in advance!

5. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    sir,

revving up before shutting your TD engine is a no-no. When coming from long drives, you need to at least leave the engine idle for about 3-5mins before turning it off. that should say it in the manual. =)

about the turbo...maybe your just feeling the effect of biodiesel that the engine was efficiently pulling up even before the turbo kicked in(hehehe).

i was told that kapag sira na ang turbo mo...sobrang hihina daw talaga ang hatak nyan to such a noticeable extent because the engine has been preconfigured with it.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    baliktad yata ang effect nang biodiesel sa yo? suppose to be mas malakas ang hatak pag biodiesel e.

ok lang kahit di i-rev ang makina mo basta nakapag cool down ka na. i.e. after nang highway driving or high speed driving, normal range lang ang rpm for 5-10 minutes. after nun pwede na patayin.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Pwede ba pakabitan ng turbo yung manual Isuzu Xwind XUVI ko?? kung pwede magkano? Hehehe hanggang 110kmh lang kasi yun mejo binabastos ng mga ibang sasakyan.

8. Join Date
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by arkitek2 View Post
    Thanks for the replies BeetOls and ARB. I drove above 2000 rpm a while ago and still there's no kick. Maybe the turbo isn't working..Is it the diesel fuel I'm using?

Here's the complete story. I always used regular diesel before and as I remembered the kick was there, even at 40kph only. But because of the rising price of diesel fuel, I chose to use 1% premixed biodiesel it is a peso or more cheaper than regular diesel. Since then I have not felt the turbo. I don't know if it has more power or an increase in mileage. And also want to ask if it's OK to shut the diesel engine without reving up just like in gasoline engines?

Need your opinion on this. Thanks again in advance!

Hi, Arkitek2!

I just stumbled across your post and I wonder if your questions have been answered already. Anyway, here is what I can say:

The biodiesel mix available here is supposed to be for environmental purposes but from my personal experience, m turbo diesel powered Fuego runs more efficiently and thus I have more felt power and better economy. Fuel consumption is relative to one's driving habits and therefore it is difficult to peg an answer but with better efficiency comes improved power and economy.

The kick you are looking for is not really felt as much with today's smaller, more efficient transitioning turbochargers but the difference in pull you experienced is probably due to engine wear and tear. After a few full tanks of our biodiesel, you can feel the difference after the cleaners/detergents of the biodiesel (depending on which brand-I use Sea Oil) have done their part. I personally have noted the following changes: decrease in smoke, quieter running engine, not much if not no pumping of the fuel feed pump, smoother power, improved fuel economy.

As regards the "kick", have you noticed any decrease in power or increased black smoke? You may want to have a tune up (including the replacement of all filters). If nothing improves after that, you may want to have your turbocharger inspected also by competent turbocharger technicians for possible "coking". Gunning (revving) the engine is a no-no for any engine, be it gasoline or diesel fed. Now this is especially true for turbocharged engines. What we are pertaining to here is friction (wear) to the engine when oil does not run through it. This happens when you first start the engine (especially in the mornings) and when you shut the engine. So you want to avoid this. Turbochargers (especially those that are oil cooled/lubricated) need oil for their bearings in order to spin. If you rev or gun the engine before shutting down, the turbo remains spinning even after the engine is shut. Without oil to lubricate the bearings, you get wear and the hot oil going through every nook and cranny of the engine and turbo hardens (this is called coking). And this causes the early demise of you turbo. This is why we have turbo timers to help cool the oil and keep lubrication while the turbo spins down.

I hope I was able to answer your questions.

Cheers!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
turbo diesel...