New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Are they pertaining to biofuels that are harmful??? It sounds ridiculous now that they are promoting biodiesel and other "green" forms of fuels if there are any.....

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I wrote a small paper regarding biodiesel, and here is an excerpt regarding the disadvantages

BIODIESEL – consequences (non social)
    There are disadvantages regarding the use of biodiesel in engines. Biodiesel can dissolve natural rubber pipings present in older diesel engines and the carbon deposits that are removed from the fuel lines may build up in the fuel filter, causing fuel starvation of the engine. Improperly manufactured biodiesel may contain traces of glycerol, soap, and water, all of which may cause engine fouling. The production of biodiesel also releases more hydrocarbons into the atmosphere (Sheehan, Camobreco et al. 1998) than the refinery of petroleum diesel, although tailpipe emissions of biodiesel using vehicles register less hydrocarbon content.

The nitrous oxide emissions of biodiesel utilizing vehicles are also significantly higher, although long term exposure to biodiesel fumes indicate no discernible side effects from those exposed to petroleum diesel exhaust (Swanson, Madden et al. 2007).

The production of biodiesel requires a number of environmentally harmful methods. Soybean and rapeseed farming necessitates the use of pesticides and fertilizers. These substances can leach into water sources and contaminate them (Manuel 2007). The demand for new farmland causes the clearing of forests to make available land. Farm operations also usually involve large monocultures, as well as the introduction of non-native species, both of which may endanger native biodiversity. Even now the Philippine government is actively pushing for the large scale introduction and production of jatropha plants, without indicating its possible impact on native flora.

Manuel, J. (2007). "Battle of the Biofuels." Environmental Health Perspectives 115(2).

Sheehan, J., V. Camobreco, et al. (1998). An Overview of Biodiesel and Petroleum Diesel Life Cycles, National Renewable Energy Laboratory.

Swanson, K. J., M. C. Madden, et al. (2007). "Biodiesel Exhaust: The Need for Health Effects Research." Environmental Health Perspectives 115(4).
    I still think biofuels have a smaller impact than fossil fuels.

What's promising is the use of algae to produce biodiesel - algal cultivation utilizing an area the size of Belgium would yield the same amount of biofuels as current agricultural methods covering an area the size of Europe.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    ang sa akin lang, with biofuel, we proceed with caution.

wag tayo padalos dalos at padadala sa bandwagon.

at yung sinasabing benefits meron pero meron ding costs sa environment.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    if the technology on fuel cell is fully developed i think this will be a much more good alternative than farming... if i recall it correctly there is also a type of car that can run on hydrogen then emits water or h20 as its by-product... this is much more economical since we can remove the molecules of hydrogen in water then when it is used as fuel it will turn into water again. though, i think hydrogen is highly combustible than petrol so the gas thank should be developed properly to avoid incidents of explosion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Studies Deem Biofuels a Greenhouse Threat