New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Do you use fuel additives regularly?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 8.62%
  • No

41 70.69%
  • I only tried it once or twice and I stopped using them

10 17.24%
  • My car runs on water.

2 3.45%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Some additives (including acetone) may actually work in our case. That's because our gasoline is of low quality. V Power is just like ordinary unleaded elsewhere. UK (where 5th Gear is) has among the best petrols, so any additive is negated.

As a disclaimer though, I do not endorse any fuel add-on.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I personally use Diesel Kleen for my 300D w123 primarily for cetane boost, added lubricity (due to ULSD use) and as an anti-gelling agent for the cold season. I don't usually drive where it's near freezing but it's handy to have in the trunk when I'll need it like when the family decides to go somewhere even colder.

For the gasoline, premium fuels usually already contain additives. But it's only effective for high performance cars and engines that can harness this potential. Other than that, there's no point in using premium except of course if the owner's manual states so. Around here the fuel is crappy 91 octane rating so you guys are lucky to get higher octane rating fuels and still pay quite similar costs.

I'm curious though what other diesel additives are there? I know this thread is primarily for gasoline engines but maybe there is information about diesel fuel additives too.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Our premium fuel is rated at 95-96 RON, but that's about equivalent to 89-92 AKI stateside... we don't get true 95 AKI gasoline...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Dear Sirs:

The SAE (Society of Automotive Engineer's) has two standard tests to measure a fuels' Octane rating:

1) the Research Octane Number Test (RON)
    2) the Motor Octane Number Test (MON)

of the two, the Motor Octane test is stricter as it involves higher loads and temperatures.

If the gasoline is quoted to have a certain RON or MON number then it has passed the test - period, no difference if performed here or in the USA.

The test is performed on a specially made engine (the Cooperative Fuel Research Engine) that is DESIGNED to KNOCK.

The test fuel is introduced and the amplitude of the knock is recorded. Then a mixture of Iso-Octane (RON = 100) and N-heptane (RON = 0) is blended to produce the same knock.

The Octane number is the percentage of Iso-Octane that is required (the balance being N-Heptane) to produce the same knock.

The ONLY way a spark-ignition engine will benefit from a higher-octane fuel is if the compression ratio is increased to compensate for the fuel's resistance to knock.

Even with electronic engine and ignition controls, increasing the ignition advance and advance curves will produce only minor (read - barely noticeable) improvements in economy and performance.

So don't expect miracles here. You only will get a benefit if the engine can take advantage of the fuel's resistance to knocking via a higher compression ratio, which means higher power and efficiency.

Barring that, little or no benefit takes place.

In fact the easiest way to increase a fuel's octane rating is the addition of organo-metallic compounds like tetra-ethyl and tetra-methyl lead.

Modern engines are designed NOT to have these materials in the fuel and those additives will cause lead to deposit inside them, including (if you have one) the catalytic converter - destroying it.

So buyer beware.

Best Regards,

Dusky Lim

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Standard octane booster is for folks who do not really know whats in it and it's effects. 99% of octane boosters simply contain a small percentage of xylene or toluene which have a octane rating RON of about 117 but it is only a small percent. The rest is regular gas. Here's the breakdown

For example, if one says it'll raise your octane by 7 points. This is what they mean:

87 Octane + 7 Point Octane Boost = 87.7 Octane.

NOT 94 Octane.

One of the biggest automotive scams going. You can make your own octane booster for much cheaper, a bottle of rubbing alcohol will give you more octane boost then any store bought brand on the market. How sad is that?

Increase xylene is what gives gas here in the states the higher octane levels. Its also what most fuel injector cleaners have in them, Its normally a combo of xylene and toluene and some mineral spirits or yes tranny fluid.

[SIZE=2]FORMULA 1[/SIZE][SIZE=2]
    Toulene
    R+M/2...114
    Cost...$2.50/gal
    Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
    10%...94.2 Octane
    20%...96.4 Octane
    30%...98.6 Octane
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]FORMULA 2[/SIZE][SIZE=2]
    Xylene
    R+M/2...117
    Cost...$2.75/gal
    10%...94.5 Octane
    20%...97.0 Octane
    30%...99.5 Octane
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Notes: Similar to Toulene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toulene and advertised as *race formula*. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]FORMULA 3[/SIZE][SIZE=2]
    Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
    R+M/2...118
    Cost...$3.50/gal
    10%...94.6 Octane
    20%...97.2 Octane
    30%...99.8 Octane
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toulene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]FORMULA 4[/SIZE][SIZE=2]
    Methanol or Ethanol
    R+M/2...101
    Cost...$0.60 - $1.75/gal
    10%...94.3 Octane (Methanol)
    10%...94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
    20%...Not Recommended
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combines with water. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]FORMULA 5[/SIZE][SIZE=2]
    Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
    R+M/2...101
    Cost...$0.60-$1.50/gal
    10%...94.5 Octane
    20%...Not Recommended
    30%...Not Recommended
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]MAKE YOUR OWN OCTANE BOOST[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]How to make your own octane booster (this is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products). To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal): [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]100 oz of toulene for octane boost
    25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
    3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid
    [/SIZE]

I use every time I went to the track back in the day before the alcohol injection of course

Bottom line do not waste your money on the store bought stuff.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Here comes someone posting about F2020 fuel additive in a thread which talks about gas-saving devices being a scam... such bravery or stupidity.

http://www.topgear.com.ph/board/inde...sg9852#msg9852

which is which kaya?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Shocking truth about Octane Boosters / Fuel Additives.