New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    http://bigbigcar.com/boards/default....=posts&m=41605

[size=3]Shell launches V-Power Diesel[/size]
    [size=2]Taking Diesel to the Next Level[/size]

Lots of people got lost on the way to the parking lot. Strangely, they were all driving diesels

Holthusen is no stranger to performance cars himself, having competed a number of times in the Nurburgring 24 hour race, oft times while driving diesel cars. He explains that once past a certain point (around 50 cetane), any gains in power available from engine tuning start to peter out. Hence, the GTL (gas-to-liquid) Diesel used by the Audi racing team, which helped them outlast the exploding Peugeots at LeMans this year, has similar cetane to the stuff you buy at the pumps. The only difference is that the race fuel, as “Dr. Fuels” explains, can only be refined through laboratory processing. If you want the same stuff from the pumps, it’ll likely cost as much as Johnnie Walker.

I'm pretty sure "off-road" doesn't mean what he thinks it means

I’ll stick with my mass-brewed diesel, thank you. But, you may ask, does it make sense to buy premium beer... errh... diesel instead of the mass-produced Pale Pilsen available at the pumps today? If you’re driving an old diesel truck with an ancient low-pressure system, maybe not. It may help your fuel pump last longer, though.

Botchi Santos (Top Gear) picks Dr. Fuel's brains

Modern common-rail systems, on the other hand, have injectors that cost between 25,000 to 40,000 pesos a piece. And these are sensitive to poor fuel and fuel contamination. If you have one of these motors, consider that price premium engine insurance; to avoid costly repairs for your precious fuel system 50,000, 100,000 or even 200,000 kilometers down the road. Of course, if manufacturers will also extend warranties on diesel vehicles if customers use “boutique” diesels, Shell’s promise of making V-Power Diesel available in over 119 locations will come as welcome news, indeed.
    The lowdown:
    Cleaner diesel. Better detergent quality. 119 locations. Direct competitor for Petron Turbo-Diesel... though they seem to think Petron was spurred to push up the launch of their product to beat V-Power to the market.
    Last edited by niky; August 20th, 2010 at 11:06 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I'll try this one

Kailan magiging available ito sa Shell Stations?

May nabanggit ba kung ilan nalang ang Sulfur or kung wala nang Sulfur?

3. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    sabi ko na nga ba...an example of Marketing gimmickry...full of theatrics...ni wala man lang ni reveal na exact fuel composition. But on hindsights, based on what i researched it seems really a good product that's a direct derivatives of GTL. Gas to Liquid conversions results with liquid hydrocarbons that have very nil sulfur on it.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I tried this today. 36.25 per litre dito sa Las Pinas. Let's see if I notice anything different........

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Hi sirs (Sir Niky I've read some of your posts and I guess I'm a fan of yours na. Haha, good substance). I bought a Focus TDCI last January and absolutely love the idea that it's diesel.

Anyway I first saw the V-Power diesel last week in the Fort, the Shell station had "V-Power Diesel" in the price board but said 00.00. So I inquired and they told me they weren't selling it yet, they didn't know when exactly it will be sold, and they were expecting it to be sold at around 40 pesos per liter. I was driving by the Shell station in C5 (across McKinley) and saw that they were now serving the V-P Diesel and decided to give it a whirl. It was selling for around P36.50/L, regular diesel was selling for around 34.00. more than two pesos' difference, but at least not P40/L (although I would still have tried it).

I didn't know anything about it, my initial online search last week only said that it adds a cleaning chemical whatever in it to make the engine run better, but of course, I was hoping I'd hear some kind of magical roar from the engine after filling up. No surprise, I couldn't feel no darn difference.

Also, I just read your great post on bigbigcar.com and it cleared a lot of my questions. I was just wondering if it would make sense for me to load up on that diesel given that my car is relatively new (haven't even hit 10,000KMs)? And if yes, can it be alternated with regular diesel; like one full tank of V-Power cleany cleany diesel for every 3 or 4 full tanks of dirrrrty pale pilsen? I know I can't expect a real conclusive answer (these questions I know are impossible to really solve) but I would like to hear your two-cents' - nay, ten-cents worth on this.

Thanks!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I entered a photo of my old blue Pajero in their Diesel in Action contest thingie. However I wasn't able to go to the launch.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post
    sabi ko na nga ba...an example of Marketing gimmickry...full of theatrics...ni wala man lang ni reveal na exact fuel composition. But on hindsights, based on what i researched it seems really a good product that's a direct derivatives of GTL. Gas to Liquid conversions results with liquid hydrocarbons that have very nil sulfur on it.
    Ayaw talaga nila idetalye ang exact fuel composition secret daw nila yun.
    Fuel content is different in each country. AFAIK
    According to them it is the best Diesel product in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by teamate
    Also, I just read your great post on bigbigcar.com and it cleared a lot of my questions. I was just wondering if it would make sense for me to load up on that diesel given that my car is relatively new (haven't even hit 10,000KMs)? And if yes, can it be alternated with regular diesel; like one full tank of V-Power cleany cleany diesel for every 3 or 4 full tanks of dirrrrty pale pilsen? I know I can't expect a real conclusive answer (these questions I know are impossible to really solve) but I would like to hear your two-cents' - nay, ten-cents worth on this.
    You need at least 3 full tanks to really feel the difference. You can go back to your regular diesel if you want. If your car is Bnew you wont feel a thing but your injectors will stay clean. AFAIK

Click
    [SIZE="6"]Vpower Diesel[/SIZE]
    Last edited by larshell; August 23rd, 2010 at 08:31 AM.

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    I entered a photo of my old blue Pajero in their Diesel in Action contest thingie. However I wasn't able to go to the launch.
    1st place winner is Mr. Jon cuadra Shell employee
    2nd place winner is Mr. JR Cruz Shell retailer
    I forgot who won the 3rd place. I forgot about this contest I was not able to join. To be fair 1st place winner is not that bad. LC100 playing on a dessert somewhere in Oman.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005

My impression is that CRDi owners are held hostages with this new diesel variant.....(especially the D4D owners....)....

10.7K:naughty:

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hi, teammate, thanks for the kind words.

Regarding diesel... CRDi owners are really held hostage by the kind of diesel they put in. How many times have you heard of dealerships weaseling out of warranty claims on fuel systems because the customer loaded up "contaminated" diesel?

The sad part is... it's true. A common-rail system won't break unless it meets something it doesn't like. A little too much biodiesel... say goodbye to your pump and injectors (biodiesel is a good detergent for older diesels, but it just breaks down in high-heat high-pressure systems). A little too much water... clogged filter... say goodbye to your pump. A little too much sulfur... say goodbye to your injectors. Contaminants? Goodbye injectors and pump.

Lucky you (seriously) if the eventual damage (and it will happen, eventually) occurs within warranty. Or unlucky you... for the breakdowns and time wasted... as some unlucky owners of certain Japanese diesels can attest to. Even the best systems will succumb eventually. Read the European and Australian boards (I read a lot of them) and you'll see many complaints of injector and pump failures due to bad diesel.

The interesting thing is, both Petron and Shell are making a show of differentiating their diesels. These come out of bespoke pumps and are only available in certain stations. I think some manufacturers will be eyeing this with interest. Some already recommend specific gasolines only for their cars... soon, they may be specifying specific diesels.

If you want to be a segurista, use the boutique diesels exclusively if you have a common-rail. The price premium isn't so high, and these modern common-rails are more economical than the old school ones, so it evens out. (more powerful given the same power... obviously... very powerful common-rails are thirstier than economy-tuned old-schools)

But first, we have to wait to find out whether the manufacturers think it's good enough to extend warranty coverage if you use them exclusively. And if the sulfur levels meet at least Euro IV and V requirements.

Otherwise... if you own a Focus... just pick a clean station and stick with it until these things iron out. The Focus' injectors aren't especially sensitive... and they should last a good 100,000 - 200,000 kilometers as long as you don't get any contaminated fuel on a regular basis. You can try a few tanks of boutique diesel to flush... but you won't need it on a regular basis unless you start losing power or economy. When that happens, it's easy to tell... I've driven test units that felt rather doggy but perked up when given some diesel additive. If you're the daily driver of the car, you'll notice the difference even more easily.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Shell V-Power Diesel