New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Hello Tsikoteers,

How do you handle Shell's Policy on "Engine Off while Filling" but you have a Turbo-charged engine that requires cool down especially if you came from a Long Drive.

In my case, I tell the Gas Boy that I cannot stop the engine. Cool Down muna for about 2 mins.
    Most of the time, The Gas Boy would not fill and, indeed, they would wait for me to stop my engine. This is a thumbs up for me as they are really enforcing the rule.

On rare occasions, may mga Shell Stations that still fill even I haven't stopped my engine yet.

In some other Gas Stations like, they also have this signage but are not enforcing them unlike Shell.

How about your encounters?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I hate turning off the engine... and it's really pointless from a safety standpoint, unless you own a racecar that's spitting three foot flames out of sidepipes aimed at the gas pumps (in which case, stay the hell away from me).

But: it's easy to do and saves gas. If I'm going up to a filling station, I just take it easy for a few minutes beforehand. That's all the turbo-cooling I need.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Eh bakit naman yung motorist ayaw patayin makina. Dali dali lang yan, wag nang tamad patayin na ang makina...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    I always turn off the engine when refilling at the gas station even if I have a spare key. Why? Because one time (my dad told me when i was 12 yrs old i think ), in a particular gas station a diesel L300 was refilled by a gasoline instead of a diesel (his engine is off, and so the gasoline boy drained all of his fuel ), so imagine what could happen if his engine is on?

I always practice turning off the engine.

Bakit kaya yung iba ayaw pa din patayin makina? Baka daw makasuhan ng murder! Ahahahaha! Joke!

A young driver should be an example of a disciplined driver. That's what I do.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Well as for me, wala naman atang mali kung ih-off natin engine habang nilalagyan ng gas ang kotse. pero kung galing sa long ride as for me di ko muna papatayin and would let it cooldown for about 3-4 mins. sa isang tabi then pa gas. XD

same thing with my bike

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    ingat kayong mga hindi nagpapatay ng makina during refilling baka matiyempohan kayo nung isang member ng tsikot mahuli kayo HEHEHEHEHe. sumunod na lang po tayo bawal ito kaya gawin natin.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I heard starting an engine up uses the same amount of fuel as keeping the engine on for 5 mins, this true?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzipino View Post
    I heard starting an engine up uses the same amount of fuel as keeping the engine on for 5 mins, this true?
    Nope. Nada. Nil.

Just take it easy before hitting the gas station so by the time you're there, your engine/turbo should be good to shut off in a few seconds after you tell the gas boy what to fill up on.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005

^^^ Agree. That is my practice, too.... Don't drive hard when approaching the gas station... Just drive leisurely for the turbo to cool down.....

10.7K:naughty:

Shell: Engine Off while filling. Pero Turbo Cool Down muna.